User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of ZQuest Password Protection?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I believe password protection should be removed

11 57.89%
  • I am indifferent to the presence of password protection

5 26.32%
  • I use passwords to protect my quest but it is a feature I can live without

3 15.79%
  • If password protection is no longer available I will cease utilizing ZQuest

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: [Poll]: Password Protection for Quests

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    Just curious but if people want the encryption gonethat would men addiing a bypasss do to the encryption being stored in the header of old quest before 2.5.2 if this is the case i see no point since it would be done regardlesss if the encryption code is released.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.75%
    I'm indifferent to the presence of the password protection feature in the sense that I don't think it would be too big of a deal
    to release the source code as is. Some people would complain, sure, but I imagine most would get over it.

However, I'm also not necessarily opposed to simply redacting this code from an open source release, but it would be a bit
    of a pain to maintain compatibility with existing quests in this case.

Basically, I'm more in favor of releasing the code as is, but I wouldn't complain if the open source release were approached
    differently. (≧∇≦)

Side note: Has anything been said about this on PureZC yet? Is their input on this something we need and/or want? (・o・)

Gel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    54.92%
    I agree, some people would probably complain, no matter what is done. I was actually going to post about the politically correct thing to do... But Honestly, I think anyone that complains about this is pretty nutty. It'll be open source, and it's a free project.

These are just my opinions:
    I personally think the best option is to remove passwording in future versions of ZQ- making all the old passworded quests openable without any password input. After all, if this project is open source, why have closed/passworded quests anymore. I think it should be more of an educational thing; look at other people's quests and learn stuff.

I don't think anyone really wants passworded quests, and even if the passwording stuff is left in the source, it's not faux protection. Redundant passwords just makes some users, who know about the source, or certain tools able to remove passwords from quests able to edit older quests, while others don't know about it. If the passwording code is left in, even more tools for editing quests will become available, and there will be users who naively think either their quest is safe, or that some other quest can't be opened- while other users are opening the quests.

I'm thinking ZQ could ignore the password in older quests (like it wasn't there), and then you can save them without the password, still, I'm happy however it's done. I'm even happy if support for older quests is completely eliminated, if people want them, they could just use an older version.

Regardless of how this is handled there will be people who say "I'd rather it this way" or "why isn't it like this"; there will be people who think it could have been done better. Also, important to note, most people who use ZQ/ZC are not scientists, hackers, or programmers, and many of them are young kids. Iit would also be nice if ZQ is all inclusive, without the need for 3rd party tools to edit older or passworded quests.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    81.54%
    There is no way to password protect quests reliably. period.

Bottom line is the player still has to decrypt the quest data, without knowing the password.

because of that, the format can be reverse engineered, and an editor that doesn't respect the password can be created.

Opening the source would make that process easier, but it's already been done.

Ripping can't be stopped with a password. cheating can't be stopped with a password. even if it cold be stopped with a password, there's always Cheat Engine. And quest editing can't be stopped wit ha password, even without open source. its' totally pointless. Best to watermark the graphics/audio such that theft can be proven instead.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.48%
    Password protection is a farce, first of all, somebody with even the slightest knowledge of cryptography can easily find the password. RSA Encryption, which is one of the highest levels, is also a farce. Someone could easily load up of a memory viewer or disassembler with Visual Studio or anything else with similar capabilities and obtain the password from the memory address (hash) table. Second, no one can make money off quests. You really want to protect it? Get a copyright protection patent, wait you can't because no one owns the intellectual properties of Zelda. In other cases, if you are knowledgeable, since .qst files are essentially structured like ROMs, is to use some kind of extraction program like PeaZip or ISObuster and find the password that way.

The argument for having password "protection" for fan projects is just rubbish.

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.62%
    personally passwords was a stupid feature. especially for me who wants to just mess around others quests with no intent on uploading and redistributing them.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.45%
    Started a public thread at pzc about this:

http://www.purezc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=68524
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    @Gleeok
    Well if you Zig when your suppose to Zag and Zag when your suppose to Zig your gonna get your Penis caught in your zipper, and nobody wants thats that for you Gleeok. It's a bloody mess.
    "Why are we talking about this literately?"

Thread Information