vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.96%

Ability to edit password protected quests

http://www.purezc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=67677

Quote Originally Posted by bmc10011
    Ever wanted to be able to beat that quest that was to hard? Well now you can with this simple trick. What this glitch does is allows you to make the Init Data to what ever you want. First Init Data to what DMap and stuff you want in a new quest file. Note: The continue screen on the DMap is where you will end up. Also the author and title must be the same as the quest you want to do this with. I also think the ZC version and title of the quest needs to be the same. Next start up the new quest file you made and then save. Switch the old file out and put the quest you want to play. And your done! If it has scripts you might not be able to beat the game. The reason why this works is Zelda Classic just assumes that you made changes to the game to look like the new file. If that makes any sense. He's what the end result could look like. This is deaths power by the way.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/2lr6iv...zelda00678.png

So I just found out it also works the other way. You can start up the quest you want to play, then switch it with the other file, make a tile to the DMap you want to go to, and give yourself all the stuff you want. I tested this and all script stuff will work just fine.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.92%
    I don't understand the need to password one's quest in the first place. We're a community of modders, so what if someone want to mod our own quests? Take it as a complement. I used to make DOOM mods, you CAN NOT protect them with passwords, but the DOOM modding community didn't fall apart or anything because of it.

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy_Balsac View Post
    I don't understand the need to password one's quest in the first place. We're a community of modders, so what if someone want to mod our own quests? Take it as a complement. I used to make DOOM mods, you CAN NOT protect them with passwords, but the DOOM modding community didn't fall apart or anything because of it.
    It has to do with ethics.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.92%
    It's ethical to password protect mods?

Really though, most modding communities I know of do not have the ability to simply password protect their work, but they don't suffer for it. So I really don't understand why the ZC community values it so much.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.26%
    Unfortunately this bug is also a feature. When constructing a quest, it is much easier to make a small change and then test it with the same save file than have to register a new name and select the quest every time you want to shift around init data. I do this all the time to test my scripts (yeah, it works as long as you don't save, because global variables will reinitialize).

As for password protecting quests, we had a discussion about this before when someone came up with a hash decryption program. While many users of the community are indifferent about passwords, we were concerned that some creators would fear that their custom content would be stolen (mainly graphics).

As for it being a security leak, it really isn't. While somebody can use this to change init data on a quest, it will not properly initialize all of the quest's scripts, which means the quest as a whole won't play properly in most cases Scratch that, I didn't read the new development in the bug. Still, this is the equivalent of abusing hex corruption in old games to insert custom programming.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.92%
    Makes sense, theft sometimes happens in other modding communities, though if the theif is ever foun out, s/he is disgraced and most good sites won't host mods with stolen content, and will be skeptical of future content from said modders. Still, I understand the idea that the easiest way to win a fight, is not to fight it. So yeah, preventing theft is a perfectly sensible reason.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.09%
    I don't know if you really want to treat it as a bug--As CJC pointed out it is useful. Doing things like timestamping the save file data is like DRM for people that are not cheating.

I don't know.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.96%
    Just bringing it to your attention, I'm actually in favour of removing password protection from future quests. That way if I find a quest too difficult or I encounter a bug, I can fix it myself (If it is easy/not a complex script).
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.17%
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy_Balsac View Post
    It's ethical to password protect mods?
    Really though, most modding communities I know of do not have the ability to simply password protect their work, but they don't suffer for it. So I really don't understand why the ZC community values it so much.
    You're missing the point. Whether or not other communities that create and share fan-made content like mods are able to take measures to protect their work is irrelevant.
    It's a matter of respecting the wishes of others who have chosen to protect their work when given the option to do so.

Do you have to care? Of course not. It's no different than taking, for example, the original Zelda game and hacking it. It's not your work and Nintendo probably didn't want people
    to pick apart their work like that, but we still do. Same could be applied to when a company chooses to use DRM and users end up getting rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    As for password protecting quests, we had a discussion about this before when someone came up with a hash decryption program. While many users of the community are indifferent about passwords, we were concerned that some creators would fear that their custom content would be stolen (mainly graphics).
    You can't decrypt a hash. The script decrypted the quest file and then replaced the embedded password hash with the default hash that is used when no password is actually set by the creator, thereby allowing one to open the quest in ZQuest.
    As for the custom graphics, what about Nintendo's graphics? We use their graphics all the time and it isn't like they gave them to us and said we could use them; we just rip them from their games.
    Just making a point though; I'm not against giving quest creators the option to protect their work. If someone wants to use someone else's work they should have to work a bit for it or, you know, just ask the creator.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.08%
    Originally Posted by bmc10011
    Ever wanted to be able to beat that quest that was to hard? Well now you can with this simple trick. What this glitch does is allows you to make the Init Data to what ever you want. First Init Data to what DMap and stuff you want in a new quest file. Note: The continue screen on the DMap is where you will end up. Also the author and title must be the same as the quest you want to do this with. I also think the ZC version and title of the quest needs to be the same. Next start up the new quest file you made and then save. Switch the old file out and put the quest you want to play. And your done! If it has scripts you might not be able to beat the game. The reason why this works is Zelda Classic just assumes that you made changes to the game to look like the new file. If that makes any sense. He's what the end result could look like. This is deaths power by the way.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/2lr6iv...zelda00678.png

So I just found out it also works the other way. You can start up the quest you want to play, then switch it with the other file, make a tile to the DMap you want to go to, and give yourself all the stuff you want. I tested this and all script stuff will work just fine.
    I believe that setting quest version, and min. version would prevent that trick from working; although naturally, people are lazy, and don't often set those params. (I always do, to prevent serious bugs from creeping into save files, but I never set a password.)

Note that ZC (viewer) does not display the internal quest version number, or the min version number. (It doesn't display the 'quest number' either, but I believe that other than the devs, and one or two other people, including me; no-one has made quests that use the quest numbering feature.) I know of no way to read these values (on the user end), without opening the file in ZQuest. It will also break global vars, arrays, and some other components.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    I don't know if you really want to treat it as a bug--As CJC pointed out it is useful. Doing things like timestamping the save file data is like DRM for people that are not cheating.

I don't know.
    I know: Timestamping the save file, would make it a huge pain to shift to another system, and play on multiple computers; or play the same files on more than one OS. In the words of Egon Spengler, 'It would be bad.'

Quote Originally Posted by Isana View Post
    As for the custom graphics, what about Nintendo's graphics? We use their graphics all the time and it isn't like they gave them to us and said we could use them; we just rip them from their games.
    Just making a point though; I'm not against giving quest creators the option to protect their work. If someone wants to use someone else's work they should have to work a bit for it or, you know, just ask the creator.
    A password on the quest, does not protect the graphics, at all. A player can screenshot, and thus rip, anything in a game that they want to rip. The password system is also entirely pointless, as there are tools for removing the password from 2.5 quests, and older quests too. if people want something, there is no way to prevent them from getting it; except for un-compiled ZScript, not stored in a buffer. (They can dissect a .qt0 file and try to recover the ZASM from it.) I believe a ZASM decompiler exists too.

I never put a password on anything. I think the idea is silly, and when people defend 'protecting graphics', I ask one question: How many tiles in your quest, are ripped from elsewhere> Oh, and how much of the music, and sound effects, is entirely original to your project? The only thing worth protecting, are stories, and unless it's not based on an existing work, or a true parody, it's rather hard to defend. Just about everyone who uses ZQuest, is pirating, and plagiarising on a regular basis. Asking others not to do the same, and trying to circumvent it, is purely hypocritical, IMO.

The password system is also a large problem with making a mainstream, open-source ZC release. If you want a better game engine, with more features, that is open source, start accepting a non-password-protected quest format, for the future. What I suggest, is to remove passwords entirely, and automatically strip them out of older quests when loading them with ZC 2.60. People may whine about it; but you know what? It won;t stop them from using the programme, and if ZC/ZQ didn't have passwords as of 2.5, people would already have adapted.

The entire model of content protection (or any other form of obfustication) merely strangles progress. That applies to all fields of science, and art, not merely modding. How far do you think the world of games would have reached, if any idea, was constrained to its creator, and solely its creator? We'd never have gone far beyond Pong, and Space Invaders, both of which, by the by, were [u]fully cloned by Nintendo[/u[ (without permission) and sold in Japan.

I believe that the main reason that Nintendo has never tried to censor ZC, is the way that the Japanese look at doujin, and most quests fall into the doujin category of art, and literature, except 1st.qst, and 2nd.qst. Those are where they may hold objections, but haven't.

For anyone worried about people 'stealing their strings'--goodness--or figuring out the ending from reading the string table (the only valid concern with strings and story) you can always either make a string table with 10x the needed content, much of it intentionally misleading, red herrings, and the like (Interplay was famous for that), or embed the strings in ZSscript files, that aren't in your buffer. It's much more tedious to decode a string from numerical values stored in ZASM. Hah.

My final thoughts on worrying about people ripping truly original content: The community would view them as pariahs, and shame them for it. I feel that the fact that we have communities, who would so that, is enough of an incentive to prevent it, at least on a large scale; but then again, I also can't argue against ripping a tileset from an original project, as you know, we all do that from other [u]commercial[/u[ works, as routine.

Thread Information