Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%

Nightmare's Quest Development

Removing quests from PureZC over personal matters.
    Last edited by King Aquamentus; 05-16-2015 at 10:07 PM.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    98.25%
    Are you saying people were ripping you off?? or were they poopin on you?
    A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

Mitch Hedberg

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Ripping off wasn't the issue. Basically some people was shitting on and trolling one of my projects and the admins were supporting the people that did it, leaving the doors open to a High School Musical-style bandwagon event, and I didn't personally have the tools to deal with it.

Looking for another home at the moment. This is just a temporary placeholder thread.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    98.25%
    There are others that have small communities and databases of quests. I have seen them in my searches...but non that compare to the magnitude of Pure.
    If I run across them again Ill remember to copy their links and shoot them over to you.

J~
    A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

Mitch Hedberg

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    OK, thank you.

Anyway, here are the links for my upcoming projects and their status:

Demo SP - Beta 1: see later post

James Quest 2 (redone) - Demo:: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...99/wizardr.zip

And please, keep it civil. It's OK if you criticize and offer counterpoints, but be respectful, don't troll or post garbage please.

-James
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-20-2015 at 01:25 AM.

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.11%
    There was no trolling intended, just a misunderstanding. It was intended to be constructive criticism.

That said, as I said beforehand, good luck with your project.
    Last edited by King Aquamentus; 05-16-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.11%
    Well, good luck with your projects and all. I have nothing else left to say.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Going to repost some things from the Pure thread (some explanations and stuff): I am going to double post with a second comment, but I want to repost the basises of some of my arguments that aren't retaliations:

Post 1:

When the NES was released (and to some degree Windows 3.1 as well), it was an 8-bit system. Due to this limitation, there were a limited amount of colors available not only due to not only what the GPU of the NES could handle, but also due to the actual number of bytes the CPU could handle. When you talk about current systems (currrent computers, and game systems from the N64 on), most computer programs these days work on 64 or 128 bit (8 or 16 byte) systems. The NES ran on an 8 bit (1 byte) system. There was a limited amount of memory the NES could handle, including colors on screen (which Zelda Classic somewhat emulates). That's why colors was limited. This was heavily lifted by the SNES and especially by the N64 and PlayStation.

Also, this is a very huge difference, but space was a huge problem with the NES as well. We REALLY take this for granted today considering that the usual HD space is 2 TB, the max SD card size is 128 GB, and the max Blu-Ray size is 50 GB. The maximum NES cartridge size was I think 512 KB (or a half of a megabyte, not even a Gigabyte!), and most later NES cartridge sizes were 256 KB! This is really hard for everyone to comprehend because it's been so obsoleted (and quite frankly, in this version this got thrown out the window as well, and most devs HATE this honestly and there was no way with new .MIDs and DLC contest this is going to stay under 256 K), but New Quest 2013 and before and the 5th Quest contest were judged to some degree on how accurate the quests were to actual NES cartridge size. If a quest is to be considered true NES style, this has to be taken into account. This is why I name most of my 9-level quests with mini-dungeons "Dungeon Rompers" instead of NES-style, because a lot of the new features don't actually follow the true limitations of the NES.

I hope this provides some insight on some of my design choices. You are free to agree or disagree as you wish, but please, be respectful.

That's not to say there aren't tricks you can use to get around it, especially with 4 CSets where you can build 4 different enemy colors into it with sprites. This is certainly a loophole I abused with Demo SP to no end to keep it looking classic style yet create numerous amounts of enemy colors.
    Post 2:

Well, also, part of it is the fact that as a ZC original developer (and only having to Palette 00F I think available, and obviously far less combo pages due to size limitations, which was abandoned in 2.10), it was one of the few options available for mini-dungeons, and the fact I think an Overworld color dungeon is interesting and cool (yes, I do have some weird tastes in graphics, other people have said it, nothing new). I guess that's just the old NES-style developer in me. Once again, feel free to disagree.

EDIT: My old computer with ZC original crashed, so if someone else with old versions still (@Chris Miller, @Gleeok ) can confirm please let me know.

But just some file size information from previous versions of New Quest (once again, lost 1999 due to my HD crashing), but here is some of the information:

New Quest 2004 (Level 11 expansion): 295 KB (could fit on an NES with some trouble)

New Quest 2013 (2.50 Upgrade, Custom Enemies): 350 KB (could fit too, but would take a max size cart, in other words, mucho dinero)

New Quest DLC: 533 KB (wouldn't make it, I'd arguably have to cut some of the music out, and future DLC would "technically" be impossible)

My 5th Quest Candidate: 315 KB (would also fit the max size NES cart if Zelda had a re-release)
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-16-2015 at 11:13 PM.

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    I'll get back to the first post later to reword it KA

But I do want to say something, and some people may not like this, but at this point it has to be said:

1. You are welcome to criticize, but you are not welcome to take over and hijack the project in any means, whether it means co-ercing me through admins, gang trolling, or anything else of the ilk.

2. Just because you say criticism doesn't mean I have to do anything with it besides acknowledge it. Some things I am keeping the same because I either want to, or they go with the original design restraints. I have heard you loud and clear otherwise.

3. Ultimately, if you are under say the age of 18 and don't really like classic quests, this may not be for you honestly. While technically I don't like saying things like this because they're project killers, I'm kinda forced to say it due to the controversy. My general demographic is competitive NES players and people like 30 and up, who have an interest in NES style quests. Keep this in mind before making comments. I won't "not sell" to the younger demographic though. If you want to play and enjoy it, you're more than welcome, but it may not necessarily be geared towards your taste.

Hopefully I've addressed the worst points here. Some people may not like this, but I'm telling it how it is.

-James

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.64%
    Alright then, now that that's settle, lemme give my opinions on your quest update here:

If you're going to take the time to update a really old quest, it couldn't hurt to at least do some touch ups, let me give a really good example.

This screen.

Now, I understand, as you mentioned before, you're not an artist. But the problem isn't that it's a badly designed screen. The problem is that the screen is outright lazy. I can think of multiple ways to make this screen more interesting without having any artistic ability or getting rid of the feel of the quest.

Touch Up #1: Tile Variety
    Ignoring the darker default palette and subscreen, I took that screen, and made some minor adjustments.

See? Now it looks a lot nicer than the one color, and I'm pretty sure it's still true to the NES.

All I did was place random sand tiles, and that's what happened. The screen looks quite a bit nicer than before.

Touch Up #2: Them Corners
    Here's another thing that, yet again, requires no artistic ability to do, and takes like, a minute at most.

Don't worry, I'm not saying "Make the screen cramped," I'm saying that if open space is unneeded, it's best to close it. It immediately looks nicer this way, and nothing is broken about the quest, since this is intended to be an update to an old quest.

Touch Up #3: Finishing Touches
    Feel free to ignore this one, this is just myself saying "Hmm, something's missing here...oh, I know!"

Smoothened things out slightly just to show a difference from the original.

So yeah, that's my 2 cents. If you're going to take the time to update a quest from years and years ago, I feel like it would be more fitting to add a little bit of polish to it, and these are some things that can help, even if you're not an artist. If the change can be made, and not hurt the quest, then I think it's a welcome change.

Thread Information