User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ZC 3.0 From Scratch Plan

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%

ZC 3.0 From Scratch Plan

Main Library: GLFW, Gleeok won me over after I did some research on this Library. It's probably going to become one of my favorite.
    Rendering: OpenGL
    Audio: FMOD
    GUI: Screw the purple stuff...
    Scripting: Zelgasm, Replacement for ZScript and don't let the name fool you, it is not an ASM language.

Post your thoughts below.
    Last edited by Tamamo; 03-09-2015 at 12:45 PM.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    I don't think you're going to find anyone that's going to be against this. In fact, it has already been brought up quite a few times. The main problems are A)Finding people that can code and are wanting to work on it, and B) keeping the 'A' group productive whilst adding a 'B' group of more people to help contribute. What happens when it's "just one guy working on it in their spare time" is it will take 10 years to finish, and that is not necessarily an exaggeration. See Open Zelda (don't have a link) or Solarus [ http://www.solarus-games.org/games/z...of-solarus-dx/ ] for reference.

Anyway, my 2 cents:
    Main Library: Doesn't matter; should be abstracted for portability and never used directly in a game loop. Sure: SDL or SFML are good. I've been using GLFW which is another no-brainer. They're all well maintained.
    Rendering: Again, should be abstracted, but OpenGL is my default pick. It's hard (almost impossible) to find any lightweight plug-able API for rendering that can use both DX9, DX11, and GL under the hood. 3D engines not so hard...
    Audio: FMOD
    GUI: No comment....
    Scripting: I've used AngelScript. It works well for small projects, or scripting with multiple modules or contexts, but the problem is there's no mature tools for it like there are Lua or mono. This led me to switch to C# (Also supports F# and some other languages) for scripting. It's pretty awesome. The hard part is getting past the initial horrible documentation and wrapping it up, but once you do that it gets my vote.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    You're forgetting the Mr. Lone Wolf. He'll probably be the only person against this, and that's okay cause everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Also Highfive for FMOD. Also we could pull a RPG Maker and use Ruby, but let's not. I would rather see us use an interpreted language before that happens. But yeah Lua or mono would be a better option. If we switch to C# we could half the amount of time this takes us to finish too.

Let's do this, let's rewrite ZScript from scratch to using Gleeok Logic. When are you going to take me under your wing anyways I must learn the way of the Gleeok.
    Last edited by Tamamo; 03-09-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.67%
    This would be really awesome. Personally, I'd probably re-write Zelda Classic using the Qt framework. There's decent OpenGL support and it's cross-platform. I like CSharp too though and it could speed up development if you're comfortable enough with the language, so that would be perfectly fine.

Admittedly, however, there are a few things I dislike about CSharp; my primary issue with CSharp is that it doesn't compile natively and requires the Mono framework to run on platforms other than Windows.
    With Qt, projects can be deployed with the necessary libraries so that the user doesn't have to install the entire framework. This is really just a matter of personal preference though haha.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    Originally I too was thinking QT, then I saw the licensing for it and gave them the middle finger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.67%
    Quote Originally Posted by Mero View Post
    Originally I too was thinking QT, then I saw the licensing for it and gave them the middle finger.
    Not a fan of GPL/LGPL v3/v2.1? Fair enough haha.

My second choice would be the Vala language. It's meant to be similar to CSharp, but it's compiled down to C and then to machine code.
    I haven't tried using Vala on Windows though and if I recall correctly there's not much support outside of Linux since it's a relatively new language
    so that's probably not a viable option.

FMOD is great though.
    Couldn't find anything on Zelgasm though (I found weird comments from around the internet though... >_>). Is the syntax more similar to C or BASIC?
    Nevermind. I'm going to assume that this would be a new scripting language created specifically for ZC. e_e
    Angelscript looks pretty nice. It gets my vote haha.
    Last edited by Isana; 03-11-2015 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    The OculusRift SDK License is incompatible with it. Which is what most of the stuff I plan on working on in the future is going to be for.
    Last edited by Tamamo; 03-11-2015 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    I didn't see anything wrong with Qt licensing. It wouldn't force the project to use GPL/LGPL. (Unless I am missing something) Also I fail to see how GPL could be a problem for "ZC 3.0."

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    It wouldn't be necessary actually. GLFW would handle most of the GUI anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.67%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    I didn't see anything wrong with Qt licensing. It wouldn't force the project to use GPL/LGPL. (Unless I am missing something) Also I fail to see how GPL could be a problem for "ZC 3.0."
    You're correct.

If you make changes to the Qt framework's source code, you must make those changes available along with instructions on how to build your modified version of Qt.

If you link Qt statically, you must release the pre-link output files (.obj files) and, again, instructions that would allow one to link your software's object files with a newer revision of Qt and produce an updated functional build of your software.
    (This is not necessary if you link Qt dynamically as the user is then able to just replace the Qt libraries included with your software.)

If a user requests the source code for whatever version of Qt you have used, you must make it available (You could just link to the official download if you haven't made any changes to the framework).

Quote Originally Posted by Mero View Post
    The OculusRift SDK License is incompatible with it. Which is what most of the stuff I plan on working on in the future is going to be for.
    Ah, I see haha. Makes sense.

Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye on this. n_n

Thread Information