Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    81.54%

Shops vs Caves help

Hello everyone! Happy holidays! I'm new to Zquest Editor & have a question about setting up a shop vs a cave.

Basically, I'd like to set up a shop that doesn't look like a cave. I know I have to use screen 80 to link to caves & shops, & I'd like to keep the overworld screen 80 looking like a cave, but I'd also like to create a town with a few shops that have an interior that doesn't look like a cave.

How can I keep the Screen 80 template looking like a cave but also have shop templates that don't look like a cave but also link to screen 80? Does it have to do with making the shop templates on screen 80 from different DMaps? Like I said, I'm new, so any help would be very much appreciated! (the more specific the better ;-)

Thanks in advance!
    Peace

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.47%
    First, design your screen. It doesn't have to be on screen 80, it can be anywhere, so long as a dmap points to it. Make sure the dmap that points to this screen has the flag "Special Rooms And Guys Are In Caves Only" disabled. Be sure to have all the stuff set up on the screen like you would on a normal shop.

Then, set a warp to this screen.

Finally, set a side warp back to the screen that you want the shop to be on.

I could have been more specific I guess. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.39%
    What BigJoe is describing is the 'dungeon interior' technique of shops and houses, where you build a shop as you would a dungeon and so each shop is unique in that it requires a separate screen. This is a more sophisticated technique that many quest makers use. However, as you asked specifically about cave warps, I present an alternative.

If you want the shops to function in the same manner as caves (One general screen which is used for all of them) but with a different appearance, you will have to do the following:

1.) Make a new map. You can do this by increasing the map count and then going to the new map.

2.) Copy or build your town screens on the new map. Use side warps to connect the town screens to your wilderness and vice-versa. When making warps, be sure to test them with the "Go To" option. The warp type you'll want for these side warps is "Scrolling".

3.) On this second map, use screen 80 to make a screen that looks like a shop. This is the cave screen for that entire map, but since the map is only town screens you'll be able to make the caves look like houses.

Hope this helps!

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    81.54%
    Thank you both very much! That helps a lot!

Thread Information