User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Opinion: Worst vdeo game based on a movie?

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.26%
    I never played Willow, but since I wasn't a big fan of the movie, I wasn't too interested in the game, either. That being said, what this thread was meant to be about was games that are supposedly based on movies, but have very little or no relation to the actual move. Just like with the other thread, where movies made from games have little or no relation to the game.

Another bad one - Star Wars: Masters Of Teras Kasi. I know this doesn't actually reference any of the movies, and chronologically it doesn't fit anywhere in the Star Wars timeline. As a Star Wars game, it was bad, and as a fighting game, it was worse. The only thing cool about this game was the ability to unlock Mara Jade and Jodo Kast as playable characters. But I can create them as custom characters in LEGO Star Wars so who needs this?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.91%
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkOne View Post
    I'd have the say the so-called "Super" Star Wars games for the SNES. They only loosely followed the plot of the movie and for me just got boring after a while. That is worth noting--for me to get bored with anything Star Wars-themed is something big.
    You're going to talk about these games' inaccuracies to the movies and not mention the Famicom Star Wars game where you fight Darth Vader in the Sand Crawler and then he turns into a scorpion?

On that note, I'm siding with Brasel here, the Super Star Wars games were awesome, with super accurate sound effects, music, and voice clips. It was very immersive and actually felt like Star Wars. Were liberties taken? Yes, but they were taken for the sake of gameplay, and ya know what? It was very fun. Hard? Definitely, and I won't pretend it didn't have its cheap moments, but they were far from terrible games, with the Return of the Jedi entry being my favorite.

As for what I think is the worst video game based on a movie? Well, there's plenty of options if we're including games I haven't played, but of only games I've played? ... I dunno, I haven't played a whole lot of bad movie-based games, most of the ones I've gotten my hands on I've lucked out on because they were quite fine games, such as the Super Star Wars games or the Gamecube Lord of the Rings games, or Spider-Man 2, which is a contender for the best video game based on a movie. Um... guess I can go with Batman Forever on the Super Nintendo, that one wasn't very good, then again its movie was also of questionable quality...

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.26%
    I never got that far into the Famicon/NES version of Star Wars, so I didn't know about that.

I'm not saying the games themselves were bad, far from it. My point is that it does not accurately follow the movie storyline. For example, there is a stage in Super Star Wars where Luke Skywalker must battle his way through a Jawa sandcrawler in order to rescue R2-D2. Did that happen in the movie? No. And the only "cheap" part I found in that game was the next-to-impossible final level.

And I could also mention games such as Friday the 13th, The Karate Kid, Back to the Future, just to name a few.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.91%
    I probably should've clarified further when I mentioned the Famicom version of Star Wars, since it's different from the game America got on the NES. Which was also terrible but in a different way. If you've never seen any Angry Video Game Nerd videos, he did a video on several Star Wars games from the NES/SNES era.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.56%
    Oh yeah. Batman Forever is pretty terrible. I have it. It's like they tried to make a fighting game into a beatem up platformer. It just didn't work.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.26%
    Batman Forever was way too different from the movie. And it wasn't even a very good game on it's own.

Does anyone remember the attempt to make Timecop into a video game? That was another epic fail, IMO.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.1%
    I used to love the Super Star Wars games, but they've... well, you know how you can hate a game but it grows on you over time? I kinda have the opposite feeling about the Super Star Wars games. If only they weren't controller-throwingly insane in terms of difficulty, they'd be among my favorite SNES games.

What I find interesting about licensed games is, while I struggle to come up with a video-game-based movie I can tolerate, I can easily pick a few actually good licensed games just off the top of my head - Spider-man 2, Goldeneye, Batman on the NES... I always thought that was kind of funny, that despite their reputation, there are actually a lot of good movie-based games, while movies based on games struggle.

Oh, and in regards to Lego, I gotta say, I had gotten kinda burned out on Lego after the Star Wars games, though they were excellent, but man, Lego Marvel Heroes is pretty sweet. The GTA-esque sandbox environment and the chance to play as all your favorite Marvel characters (with a tad more variety than the "lightsaber or blaster" options from the Star Wars games) makes it a fun little game in its own right, almost to the point where you're like, "Oh man, if someone did this but without the Lego license, this would be so friggin' awesome!" Not to say there's anything wrong with it in Lego form, I just mean if the combat had been spruced up a bit and whatnot, it'd be incredible.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.26%
    I have to agree with you, the only problem I have with the Lego Star Wars games is...well, nothing. I tried the demo version at a store out of sheer morbid curiosity. It was only the first level, and missing some crucial things (like Minikit canisters), but I immediately went searching for a copy of the full version that same day (didn't find until a week later).

And yes, the difficulty levels for the Super Star Wars series was insane, but none so controller-throwingly infuriating as the Death Star run on the first one. I had to resort to buying a Pro Action Replay to actually finish the game...and the ending was hardly worth the effort.

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.44%
    Mostly any Star War game that has come out has been pure shit from what I've seen. Just sooooo dang boring actually Star Wars in general just was not my cup of awesome sauce.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.1%
    Eh, if you're not really into Star Wars in general, I can understand the lack of appeal of the games - what would be interesting about reenacting scenes from a movie you didn't like? That said, I can come up with a pretty extensive list of Star Wars games that are actually quite good. In fact, the list would be so long, I'm not even sure it's worth bothering.

There's the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series, X-Wing/Tie Fighter, Rogue Squadron series, KOTOR, Republic Commando, Battlefront, Shadow of the Empire, Force Unleashed, and the original arcade game... Not all of those are masterpieces mind you, but I've had fun with all of them - but yeah, if Star Wars isn't really your cup of tea, I'm not really sure I could recommend any of them because I don't know how many of them really hold up if you're just not into Star Wars.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Thread Information