Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.32%

Content Ideas

I've been thinking about the future of my YouTube channel and growing my Internet brand. I've really been wanting to open a video game website blog, similar to Kotaku, but more than just journalistic articles. I'd love to use the site to compile reviews on old and new games, opinion pieces on the current video game industry, podcasts, video segments (top 10 lists, lets plays, reviews, etc.), and other fun content. I graduate in two months and I'm going to have a lot of free time for pet projects...free time that I haven't had for the last 10 years.

I know that AGN was going through some changes a few years ago, and Dark Dragon had a website redesign commissioned, but it still hasn't seen the light of day. I wanted to test the waters of the staff here to see how people would react to using AGN as the base for my idea. We could integrate the existing community with the website, and include content and reviews on new Zelda Classic quests, among our other projects like Final Fantasy Classic. I've built a decent sized network of like minded gamers on Twitter recently, and I'm sure I can get a lot of new people in to help out with content. If we wanted to, we could see about getting some advertisers to help circumvent hosting fees and maybe eventually generate some profit if we become popular enough. We would need to aggressively market the site on social media like Twitter, Instagram, etc.

I've been administering some Word Press sites for work recently and that is how I was thinking to at least get started.

I've been thoroughly enjoying writing reviews and creating videos, and I really want to delve into this more and more. If AGN isn't interested in doing this, I can definitely make a start from scratch, and I'll always promote AGN's products and link people here.

Let me know what your thoughts are or if you have any questions.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Okay, what would you be planning to 'synergize' away from AGN in the process? Is this strictly an additive idea, or do you want to prune things as well?

If AGN were to move into any sort of revenue generation (from advertisement banners most likely), it would need to be revenue generated in the interest of what we can supply to the gaming community. By which I mean: it needs to be related to the reviews, not Zelda Classic.

I'm not against the idea but I'm not completely sold on it yet. I don't mean to sound like a sheep, but I want to see how the other staff members feel about this before I cast a vote.

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.03%
    I'd be glad to join in on this actually. That said, Zelda Classic has for a long time been a huge part of what AGN is all about. If something else grows out of it, the two sides need to be able to coexist pretty well

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.32%
    It would be purely addition. Nothing would be removed from AGN. Advertising would all be gaming related, not necessarily geared towards Zelda Classic.

Basically we'd add a main page again, and have a dedicated staff to start posting reviews, podcasts, videos, etc.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.03%
    I like that idea. I've been curious for some time about getting into that sort of thing but I don't know much about it.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    When you phrase it like that, yeah, I can get behind that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.73%
    We've had initiatives like this before, and it always winds up dwindling. I certainly don't want to quell any ambition or momentum, but I just want to point out that we used to have semi-regular reviews on the main site, but it never really blossomed. That doesn't mean it can't now.

That said, with services such as IGN seeming to move towards more frequent video-based reviews, text-based reviews could be more welcome (I hate having to load videos. I don't have time to sit through all of your splash screens!)
    Offering reviews of ZC quests would definitely be a good unique draw.

I think another game project would be awesome, but I can't contribute anything other than music to it, so I can't really push much for that.

Something like ZC, with similar nostalgia factor, but no copyright hangups, could be really cool. The quest creation mechanic is the strongest part, and something with that scope could easily put this place back on the map again. It's just hard to get people that are dedicated/competent/creative without being able to pay them.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.03%
    If I recall correctly, the reason those review died off was because of one of many hacks which destroyed AGN. When the website was once again restored, War Lord's reviews system was not restored with it.

Brasel, I don't know how the future stands but I would be highly interested in contributing to this once again.

Similar to ScrewAttack, a blog system for users could be nice. Also, a more advanced review system than we had originally. I actually think GameFAQS has a more advanced review system than what we did.

In short, we may need more memory.
    Last edited by King Aquamentus; 11-05-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.44%
    Quote Originally Posted by King Aquamentus View Post
    If I recall correctly, the reason those review died off was because of one of many hacks which destroyed AGN. When the website was once again restored, War Lord's reviews system was not restored with it.
    I am recalling the same thing. So it's not like we stopped the reviews and stuff because of a lack of interest, probably more frustration because everything was lost and it would have had to start from scratch.

I am in favor of anything that can keep discussion flowing and has the potential to draw in new and productive members.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.03%
    Quote Originally Posted by erm2003 View Post
    I am recalling the same thing. So it's not like we stopped the reviews and stuff because of a lack of interest, probably more frustration because everything was lost and it would have had to start from scratch..
    It wasn't even frustration. We just freakin lost the facilities and War Lord wasn't around.

Thread Information