User Tag List

Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 534

Thread: [RPG] Sword and Sorcery Play-by-Post

  1. #91
    Lynel Xyvol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The shake-n-bake state
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,328
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    2,476
    Level
    16
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30.91%
    Seeing the soldier and his flaming sword poking through the wall, I quickly run to the nearby walls and scribe a protection rune on them to keep the books and scrolls from bursting into flames. After assuring him that I'm not in any danger, I tell him to go ahead and follow the others. I think the library may contain some useful information about this mysterious wizard, and I wish to stay behind and search for it. I will then begin to look through the books, taking note of any magic related works and what schools they pertain to.
    <- Play Triforce Quest!

    "The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love. So If one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
    -Belldandy, Oh My Goddess!

    "Who cares if I'm a star up here?" - Minmei, Robotech
    "You bookahs worry too much about external appearances. It's what's inside your skull that counts." - Taimi, Guild Wars 2

  2. #92
    Cor Blimey! CJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Fading into the darkness
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,398
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    6,451
    Level
    24
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    73.16%
    @TheDarkOne
    Sancireph, as you step into the Aviary a bolt whizzes down from above you. You deflect it with your blades. Looking up, you see a WOMAN two floors above you, loading another shot into her crossbow. She's a brunette, wearing mostly black clothing (you assume for sneaking around), with her hair braided and rolled into a bun on the side of her head. From the tangled mess, you assume she is left-handed. She's human, and you don't sense any elvish heritage or Aasimar blood.
    She calls down to you.
    "If you want to keep breathing, you'll go back the way you came. I don't have time to deal with hapless burglars, there's already too much at stake here."
    What do you do?

    @mrz84
    Zataka, you call to MALICHOR, but he insists that he has not been harmed and he needs to investigate the library. He tells you to go check on the other guy, so you go to SANCIREPH. As you approach, you see him deflect a crossbow bolt from the room he's entered. Stepping into the room, you look around to identify the source of the danger.
    The room is an AVIARY, filled with exotic yet well behaved breeds of flying birds. There are three statues in the room, one of a WOMAN, one of a RAVEN, and one of a LIZARD. Each holds a single red orb: the woman with her hand, the raven in its beak, and the lizard in its chest. Looking up, you see a set of railed walkways one, two, and three floors above you. On the second walk, a dark-clothed woman with a crossbow LOADS ANOTHER SHOT.
    What do you do?

    @SUCCESSOR
    Reven, you sketch a quick map of where you've been. Indeed, you are directly west of the lobby, on the floor you entered the mansion on (with that damn room that's got no floor). Looking up, you see a woman leaning over the rail on the walk above you, aiming a crossbow at the first floor. You quietly make your way to the north door and depart the AVIARY. As you open the door, you are face with a HALL OF MIRRORS. Closing the door to avoid the combat that's about to ignite behind you, you find yourself in the dark. You reach into your cloak and retrieve a MATCH. Lighting it, you are again confronted by the mirrors.
    You are in the hall of mirrors. The reflections go on and on. You can't see where there are exits, or even turns. In fact, you can't even see the door you came through anymore, though you know it is there.
    What do you do?

    @Xyvol
    Malichor, you quickly fireproof the walls to keep the precious tomes from being damaged by the soldier's burning blade. Sending him away, you set out to quench your thirst for knowledge. The desk with the tuning fork has various scattered notes spread out upon it. Hmm, it seems to be some manner of MAGISTER'S THESIS. The name TOMA BARTRAND is scribbled on the corner of each page, which is numbered. Collecting the stack and straightening it, you place it neatly on the desk.
    The title reads "Philosophy of Determination, the Illusion of Magical Schools and its propagation by the Wizard Community at large". Why do magister theses always have such long and dramatic titles? Whew, and this topic is pretty blasphemous. The date is recent. Given the power of the hedge wizard, this can't be his thesis. An APPRENTICE, perhaps?
    Near the desk is the CARD CATALOG. Browsing through it briefly, you find the books are categorized by magical purview. Also placed upon the papers is a hard-bound tome with the title THIRTEEN RESURRECTIONS.
    What knowledge do you seek?

  3. #93
    A Cryptic Wizard TheDarkOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    California (when not in Storybrooke, ME)
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    2,429
    Level
    16
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    17.73%
    I call out to the woman , "I am no burglar. I seek the wizard that lives in this mansion. In fact, I have come inside with my companions by his invitation. He awaits in his study, but we also saw another man come this way and we wish to speak with him." I keep my blades in my hands but at my side, ready to deflect another bolt if it comes my way.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

  4. #94
    Lynel Xyvol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The shake-n-bake state
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,328
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    2,476
    Level
    16
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30.91%
    The book titled "Thirteen Resurrections" really interests me. It seems like it may have something to do with the 13 schools of magic. Considering it was on the desk with a thesis debunking the modern magical system, the two may be linked. I hope to determine if that is the case. Having seen other magic at use in and around the mansion, I already had a theory that another mage may be present, although I had assumed a prior owner. An apprentice seems more fitting given the evidence just found. I look around for other indications that the person using the library is a student.
    <- Play Triforce Quest!

    "The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love. So If one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
    -Belldandy, Oh My Goddess!

    "Who cares if I'm a star up here?" - Minmei, Robotech
    "You bookahs worry too much about external appearances. It's what's inside your skull that counts." - Taimi, Guild Wars 2

  5. #95
    Its your boi, Guzma! mrz84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Randomness
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,703
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    11,032
    Level
    31
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.92%
    As I approach Sancireph, I spot a woman with a crossbow above us. I attempt to persuade her we are not vandals, merely seeking answers from the mansion's owner about the things we have found in the manor so far, as well as the locaiton of both the hedge wizard (who has invited us to seek him in his study) and a man in a cloak who we seek to know what knowledge he may have found (and to ask if he wishes to join us, as this mansion has proven to be dangerous for even a single skilled adventurer). I plant the end of my greatsword in the floor in front of me to show I have no hostilities towards her, and to use as cover if she fires a bolt in my direction (my greatsword is almost as tall as I am and almost as wide, making such a scenario possible, not to mention it requires intense, almost inhuman strength for me to wield such a weapon) I also inquire what business she has in the mansion, and if she wishes to join us if we have a common goal.
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

  6. #96
    Username Kaiser SUCCESSOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Winning.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,435
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    10,391
    Level
    30
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    31.05%
    Need a proper light, I fish out a wax candle from a small supply of useful things I collect along the way. I use the match to light the candle, no candlestick but a little hot wax never killed anyone. I place a silver coin on the floor before moving. Quite an expensive breadcrumb, I think to myself. I make my way around the walls of the room keeping an eye on how the coin looks in the reflections as I move. If there is a secret then no matter how well placed these mirrors are they will betray it eventually. I use my free hand to feel along the wall for hidden turns and openings. Making my way through the entire room to collect my coin and to decide where I can go.

  7. #97
    Cor Blimey! CJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Fading into the darkness
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,398
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    6,451
    Level
    24
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    73.16%
    @TheDarkOne @mrz84
    Sancireph and Zataka, the woman lowers her crossbow slightly.

    "I don't care what you do to this wizard's gaudy crap, but I can't have you getting in my way. If the racket you're making wakes our host... What, you were invited? Dammit, that means he knows I'm here too!"

    She fires the crossbow, but Zataka deflects the bolt. She drops a smoke bomb, blinding the both of you, and when your eyes clear she is gone. Was she a burglar? Or an assassin? Either way, she seems to have been very enraged by your interruption; if you encounter her again things may not end well.
    Well, it doesn't seem like you've learned much from the woman, but you might be able to learn something in this room. There's a spiral STAIRCASE going up and down, the three STATUES that were described earlier, and of course the BIRDS, each of which watches you with unwavering intent. Also of note is a DESK with ancient notes scattered across it.
    What do you do?

    @Xyvol
    Malichor, you open the book THIRTEEN RESURRECTIONS and page to the table of contents. As you suspected, each chapter is about reviving a subject using a particular discipline of magic. Topics that catch your interest include HEDGE BUDDING, 1000 CRANE CUTS, DARKSPACE BYPASS, SIN EATING, and DRAGON DIVING. There are pencil marks near these on the page; perhaps the student made notes in the margins. If you pick a section, you'll be able to read them.
    Also sitting on the desk is a bibliography of books cited in the thesis. Other than that, the library is rather tidy. Is the student just organized, or has he moved on to another master?
    You've got a lot you can learn from reading the material in THIRTEEN RESURRECTIONS or in the MAGISTER'S THESIS (You recall your own thesis... what was the topic?). Or, you can go looking for other books in the expansive library. Or, if you prefer, you can set aside your curiosity and explore other parts of the mansion.
    What will you do?

    @SUCCESSOR
    Reven, you manage to locate at least three exits to the hall of mirrors, not counting the one you used to enter. Each is placed at a corner of the hall, which you are now certain goes in a loop. They were easy to locate with your hand as you made your way around. You mark each exit mirror with a smear of wax before collecting your coin.
    Hearing arguing from the room you came from, you decide to exit the hall of mirrors as far away from the AVIARY as possible. You find yourself in a fully stocked TAVERN, complete with BILLIARDS and a wall of LIQUORS, WINES, and STOUTS. Finally! No one else is in the room.
    What do you do?

  8. #98
    A Cryptic Wizard TheDarkOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    California (when not in Storybrooke, ME)
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    2,429
    Level
    16
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    17.73%
    I comment to Zataka that we should be on our guard if we encounter this woman again; our next meeting will almost certainly be violent. I express some interest in the orbs held by the statues, but I ask if he thinks we should take the time to examine them or continue looking for the cloaked man. I also wonder if we should wait for Malichor.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

  9. #99
    Username Kaiser SUCCESSOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Winning.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,435
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    10,391
    Level
    30
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    31.05%
    I make my way through the stock briskly. I pour myself glass of a deep caramel colored spirit. I rustle up handfuls of dried meats, cheeses, stale bread pieces, nuts, and dried fruit pieces kept around for loungers to snack on. It's not much in the way of a proper meal but certainly will do. I find a comfy sofa and slide into it and chow down while I sip on the crystal of aged spirits. I stow about half the collection of finger food in my satchel and set the empty glass on the bar. I fill my canteen with the a dark leathery looking stout, flask a bit of a blood red spirit, fill a glass with some woody looking beer, and set up a game of billiard. Cautious not to overdo either the comfort or the drink. The respite gets a little tiresome and the game pretty uneventful considering the competition I find myself going over the details of the table more than playing. I head over to the bar and look through the shelves at the particulars of the bottles and their contents. What little secrets and surprises may be stashed here? All the while I keep an ear out just incase the trouble down the way may head toward me still a little paranoid that I am a rat in someone's maze.

  10. #100
    Its your boi, Guzma! mrz84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Randomness
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,703
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    11,032
    Level
    31
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.92%
    I agree with Sancireph that we should be wary of the woman and express concerns about our other companion. However, I find the bird and the statues unnerving, as if there is some sort of magic at work that I am unaware of. While I would like to solve whatever is causing this feeling, I have little experience with magical traps and such. I turn my attention to the papers on the desk in an attempt to find any information that could be of use to us.
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Armageddon Games is a game development group founded in 1997. We are extremely passionate about our work and our inspirations are mostly drawn from games of the 8-bit and 16-bit era.
Social