Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%

Best Mechanisms in 5th Contest

At @Nightmare 's request, I've created a thread where you may list the favorite features of quests you played in the contest. This is for two purposes: firstly it gives finalists a chance to see what everyone liked best in the quests in one place, so that they may decide what they wish to append to their own maps. Second, it gives us a chance to assemble the 'perfect 5th' quest that takes the best of each and makes an awesome classic amalgamation.

Two winning features that come to mind for me:

@zcfan27330 's "Search for the Sword" mechanic, wherein you must traverse most of the world map without a weapon to find the wooden sword. It was just pure awesome-sauce.

@BtjCraft 's Dungeon 6 mini-boss: battle with the Mirror Wizzrobe (No mirror shield). I played the dungeon with the green ring and no magic shield, and this fight was just amazing. I think it would be great as a Dungeon 2/Dungeon 3 boss.

What features did you like best in the contest? As an incentive for other competitors to participate in this, if you mention one of my features I'll explain how to replicate it in the editor (Only two things in my quest used scripts; everything else was enemy editor and combo cycling). I hope others will follow this example.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Well, my two (one is obivous, the other not-so-obvious), but here I go:

1. CJC's Ganon Battle: By far the most innovative battle I've seen, acts a lot like Link's Awakening, and uses classic sprites. I am going to be implementing that pretty soon.

2. (If I may have your permission @Imzogelmo ), the Mini-Dodongos. They were a pretty cool minor enemy that might have some use in varying the enemy list a bit.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.73%
    @Nightmare Be my guest, they were inspired by the Ocarina-of-Time era enemy, and the graphics were just my best-effort. The quest is open, so you can see whatever you need to see. Most of the complaints about them have been that they were too hard-- perhaps level 2 was a bit extreme but I like the idea of a lure, dodge, and kill approach.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.2%
    I think he overdid it a bit (particularly in the early-going), but I gotta hand it to @MischaPetya for his dungeon layouts, particularly his use of screens that had to be entered in three different ways. (Typical screen involved a tunnel going left-to-right; you'd have to enter from the left (or right) to cross, from below for an item, and from above for a secret passage.)

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    4.41%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    At @Nightmare 's request, I've created a thread where you may list the favorite features of quests you played in the contest. This is for two purposes: firstly it gives finalists a chance to see what everyone liked best in the quests in one place, so that they may decide what they wish to append to their own maps. Second, it gives us a chance to assemble the 'perfect 5th' quest that takes the best of each and makes an awesome classic amalgamation.

Two winning features that come to mind for me:

@zcfan27330 's "Search for the Sword" mechanic, wherein you must traverse most of the world map without a weapon to find the wooden sword. It was just pure awesome-sauce.

@BtjCraft 's Dungeon 6 mini-boss: battle with the Mirror Wizzrobe (No mirror shield). I played the dungeon with the green ring and no magic shield, and this fight was just amazing. I think it would be great as a Dungeon 2/Dungeon 3 boss.

What features did you like best in the contest? As an incentive for other competitors to participate in this, if you mention one of my features I'll explain how to replicate it in the editor (Only two things in my quest used scripts; everything else was enemy editor and combo cycling). I hope others will follow this example.
    Thanks. My quest was just rushed and I couldn't take the time to make the quest with playtesters and everything, to get it in by the deadline. I tried some things that weren't used in past quests like searching for the wooden sword, making it a requirement to get a bomb upgrade, having a secret in one part of a room only to go around to access it, I wish I could of worked with someone talented at making quests. I have no clue how to do anything except the extreme basics.

This was my first quest I've made official as well. (well if you don't count the one I made way back near the beginning that had like 2 screens and I called it the easiest quest ever, because someone labeled his/hers the hardest quest ever. I'm just thankful I didn't get laughed out of the contest.

Thread Information