Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.44%

Breath of Fire III -- Hypothetical Teepo Version Discussion

FYI, if you haven't played the game, you probably don't want to read this thread as it has quite a few spoilers.

You're still here? Okay.

I was just wondering how Breath of Fire III would have been different if Peco hadn't been a character, instead using Teepo in his place.

Thinking about it, if you inserted Teepo in a manner where the flow of the game would be unaltered (Added at the same time you would have acquired Peco as they have the same map ability), the story regarding the Brood's other son would have been much more intriguing. Consider this: If Teepo filled the role of Peco, then he would constantly be torn between the lure of Myria and the wisdom of Yggdrasil; he'd cease to be a foil for Ryu and become a spiritual battleground between the two greatest symbols of the game: Nurture and Nature.

To be fair, they did sort of do that in BoF 4 with the emperor... still, I wasn't as invested in that game as I was in 3. Also, Peco was annoying and failed to live up to his role of Comic Relief (I honestly thought Momo filled the role better, even if it was unintentional). The replacement makes sense from start to finish: acquiring Teepo after defeating the mutant works because he would have been sent by the world tree to deal with the abomination, and fighting Teepo in Myria's compound makes sense because he's having a crisis of identity [you just don't KILL him in the fight, make it a Ryu and Rei solo match (or maybe Ryu-Rei-Garr) and get Teepo back after you win].

But beyond fitting plot-wise, how would a replacement like this alter the game? Obviously Teepo is Brood, so he should be able to use Dragon forms... but does he share genes with Ryu? That is, if Ryu is using the Warrior gene, is it locked for Teepo (and vice-versa)? Teepo is also a potent sorcerer... would he have to be nerfed magically to avoid outpacing Nina? I suppose he could follow the same model Peco does (High HP, high attack, low special attack), perhaps with an AP regen to make using dragon genes more practical with him (but with a low max AP).

...Anyway, it was on my mind so I thought I'd share. I'm not particularly fond of flat foil characters, so I guess I wanted Teepo to have more depth than he did. Also, I hate the obligatory 'cute' character that seems to work its way into these RPGs. Thus... the Peco/Teepo switch.

EDIT: I'm aware that there is no means of actually doing this with an emulation; the game would have to be rebuilt from scratch. I just wanted to discuss the prospect.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.7%
    I haven't played Breath of Fire III in years. I may try to play through it after I finish Lunar. I have BoF I and II on GBA, and I have the original copies of III and IV. I never did finish IV.

I honestly don't remember the story nearly well enough to discuss your point. If I do indeed play through it, I'll come back and let you know my thoughts.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    24.78%
    I'd be more curious to see Teepo's story from after being separated onward.

Thread Information