Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.56%

Candid talk: Your darkest/scariest Mario moments

I hear a lot of talk about Big Boo's haunt in Super Mario 64, particularly the piano, but the stage doesn't really give me any unease, and I thought the chomping piano was hilarious.

For me, what does it is World 8 in Super Mario Bros. 3. Now, your opinion of this may change depending on what version you played first. Was it 16-bit? Then maybe it doesn't feel the same to you. A lot of dusky, blotted out mountain backgrounds and leafy jungle backgrounds. That's the problem with trying to graphically update everything. Some things should just be left as is. In the 8-bit version of this game, those stages were just black background, and much more bleak. At most, the actual stages halfway through world 8 had white outlines of background elements, sort of like what you'd see beyond the stage goals in some worlds. You couldn't even tell where the stage goal began, and the overworld music of course was replaced by the usual underground theme. Add to this a distinct lack of toad houses and bonus games? Yeah. Even better, World 8-2 was almost completely colorless, aside from enemies and quicksand. It was almost like the game was mocking previous lighter parts with this nightmare dream world.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.35%
    The giant fish (Big Bertha) and its various incarnations have always crept me out (don't like being eaten by giant fish...) and I've gotten to the point that whenever I see a stage with one I'm like: "Nope" *either use cloud item to skip or bring in a ranged attack power up*
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.25%
    Phanto always creeped my right the frick out. I always dreaded grabbing that key. He's invincible, chases you endlessly until you actually use the key, and there's just something unsettling about how he looks. Oh, and I just about crapped my pants the first time I made it through Super Mario 2 and came across the bird door that actually starts attacking you when you get the orb. Just... Ugh... Freaky-ass bird face flying at me... I swear I had nightmares about that. Never cared much for Big Bertha in Super Mario 3, either, but it didn't set me off nearly to the same degree that those enemies in Mario 2 did... maybe because I was a little older, more experienced, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'd friggin' run like hell in any level that had a Big Bertha, but it was a controlled panic, not something that would haunt my nightmares.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.56%
    I used to greatly dislike Big Bertha stages myself. Now I'm indifferent to it. Stupid, because you know what? I still get eaten all the time.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.44%
    Cosmic Mario levels are always a bit spooky, but I'd have to say the scariest Mario moment for me was level D-4 in Lost Levels (the original Mario 2). You're just trucking along in the level and suddenly SHAZAM! Bowser in your face. And he's not on a bridge, either. No, he's on a row of question blocks.

After I outran him I was terrified that he was going to be launching fireballs from behind.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.15%
    The auto-scrolling ship in World 8 of SMB3 has been and always will be an absolute terror to me. It's fast, it's frantic, the safe platforms are scarce and laden with mole wrenches, and a single misstep means a fall into the looming void of death below.

Oh, and Phanto is still absolutely terrifying.
    Last edited by Din; 07-09-2014 at 11:39 PM.

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.56%
    Bowser's airforce or his navy? You can just bypass a lot of the latter by swimming through the mud, and none of the aircraft in World 8 really seem that ship-like compared to elsewhere.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.15%
    Whoops. Sorry, that probably wasn't very clear.

His air force at the end of the hand trap segment.
    Last edited by Din; 07-10-2014 at 09:42 PM.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.35%
    About Phanto...Invincibility Star works on him. I tested it once. Little bugger came right back a few seconds later though. Otherwise, he is unkillable.
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

Super Marxio Brother GrantGreif's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.35%
    I remember one time when I was little, I played the first castle level in NSMB for the first time and had to close my DS about three quarters of the way through because I was actually sweating. This was probably because of a combination of the fact that I barely had enough skill back then to even get to the castle in the first place and the fact that the music legitimately scared me.

Thread Information