5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.16%
    To answer an earlier post, we are making it in Game Maker 8.01 and the core gameplay is basically complete. All we're doing is adding the finishing touches, fixing a crapton of bugs and inserting a few extra features we've been wanting to include for years now.
    You can find more information plus screenshots and videos here:
    rpgmaker'dot'net/games/2406/
    Enjoy.
    "If anybody says him/her/it without defining what they're talking about, the conversation is automatically about my p.e.n.i.s. :-D" - Wild Bill
    "Design ideas come to me during fetid fits of masturbation." - C-Dawg
    "I want to give NoeL a blowjob! ^_^" - Peteo
    "The magic boob should be mine any minute!" - Koopa
    "Suicide is the most sincere form of self-criticism" - My Film Professor

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.04%
    I see everyone showing their endless love for Mega Man 2 and as I am playing it it is royally pissing me off. I like hard games, but I don't like games that punish you. Mega Man 2, especially at the Wily stages, punishes you. I don't really mind the split second reaction level design all that much even though a lot of them were dick moves. I do mind cheap deaths. When I say cheap death I mean where unless you know exactly what is coming you will almost certainly die. There were quite a few more of those than I was expecting. What has gotten to me most is the grinding for weapon energy. I had twenty something lives by the time i got to the Wily stages because I had to grind so much for weapon energy. It peaked at Wily 4(i think) where you have to fight the wall shooter. These things are awful. Not only do you have to use the unweildy items 1 and 3 but they are only weak to the most limited weapon in the game. That means if you fail to defeat it in one go(assuredly, you will!) you have to grind for weapon energy in the level where they have made it purposely, aggravatingly hard to grind.

I also dislike the fact that passwords do not save your lives or Wily Stages. I have resigned to leaving my Wii on 24/7 to avoid it. I think this game would be 100x better if weapon energy refilled when you die. Drop rates can make grinding for what you need a potentially hour long task and "1-ups" seem to drop more often than large weapon energy. It just seem like a cheap attempt at difficulty(as if the game needs it). Also whoever told me to start off with Air Man, fuck you! and fuck Air Man.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.68%
    Yeah, that wall shooter boss is a pain in the ass if you don't know exactly what order to kill him in. If you haven't already figured out, the best place to grind in that stage is one of those areas with the moving platforms and the spinny eye guys. Stand at a safe spot and turn on Leaf Shield. It'll destroy all the enemies that float towards you and you can pick up everything they leave behind. That's what I used to do.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.52%
    The oddly named Megaman IV, for Gameboy. It's called Rockman World IV in Japan, which makes more sense in telling it apart from the NES Megaman 4. Like the other Rockman World games, this one takes four robots from its NES counterpart and then four more robots from the next game, all while generally using the gameplay engine of that latter game. So, Megaman: Doctor Wily's Revenge is really more like Megaman 2, Megaman II is more like Megaman 3, etc.

Story is, Ring Man, Toad Man, Pharaoh Man, and Bright Man are all attacking the city during a robot convention and Megaman sets out to stop them. While the game does not start off particularly interesting plotwise, the second half of the game takes place almost entirely inside of Wily's massive tank (which is about the size of a city itself). Here you face off against Napalm Man, Charge Man, Crystal Man, Stone Man, and finally the new Megaman killer, Ballade. What's interesting about this is that the latter robot masters all have their stages modified so they are clearly inside of the tank somewhere (Napalm Man's stage is just completely different aside from jumping tigers and big spike crusher things.) It's also one of the few Megaman games that ends on a particularly bittersweet note, as Ballade makes the ultimate sacrifice for you.

The game is available on virtual console now, and well worth the money.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.04%
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Yeah, that wall shooter boss is a pain in the ass if you don't know exactly what order to kill him in. If you haven't already figured out, the best place to grind in that stage is one of those areas with the moving platforms and the spinny eye guys. Stand at a safe spot and turn on Leaf Shield. It'll destroy all the enemies that float towards you and you can pick up everything they leave behind. That's what I used to do.
    Knowing the order isn't that helpful. Using those items is still a pain and those damn things get off 2 practically undodgeable shots off before you can take out 2 of them. Which is like half your life(which those sniper joes made sure to leave you with as little as possible). I almost got them with the help of a E Tank but ran out of item energy because I kept messing up the jump to the highest one. I am relunctant to use another one because I know the Wily machines deal a heavy chunk of damage.

I did do that to grind. The problem is you have to stand in exactly the right spot or else the drop items fall or are unreachable and you have to wait for large weapon energy or else you quickly run out of Leaf Shield. Unfortunately the large weapon energy seems to be the rarest drop in the game. I keep getting plenty of 1-ups though.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.18%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    Also whoever told me to start off with Air Man, fuck you! and fuck Air Man.
    LOL. I agree there. Metal Blade->Leaf Shield-> then you can rape Air Man in his propeller-hole with your wood weapons. :) I can see why that advice would be helpful for repeats: You could quickly get the Crash Bombs for the remaining 6 levels. That would be pretty useful actually.

Unless for some weird reason I'm planning on trying to do a speed run (Never bothered to do a MM game before though--too much memorizing) of Mega Man, I would, as a general rule, go after the most overall bad-ass and useful weapons first: Probably Metal Man or Quick Man--those weapons use up very little energy and can make tough spots in levels much easier and it's hard to run uot of energy using them.

Also are you talking about those shooter things that open up from the wall? IIRC Bubble Shot and Metal Blade is very effective and doesn't require much energy to win.

[EDIT] I may have to play through this game now for old-times-sake.
    Last edited by Gleeok; 07-07-2014 at 09:25 PM.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.04%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    LOL. I agree there. Metal Blade->Leaf Shield-> then you can rape Air Man in his propeller-hole with your wood weapons. :) I can see why that advice would be helpful for repeats: You could quickly get the Crash Bombs for the remaining 6 levels. That would be pretty useful actually.

Unless for some weird reason I'm planning on trying to do a speed run (Never bothered to do a MM game before though--too much memorizing) of Mega Man, I would, as a general rule, go after the most overall bad-ass and useful weapons first: Probably Metal Man or Quick Man--those weapons use up very little energy and can make tough spots in levels much easier and it's hard to run uot of energy using them.

Also are you talking about those shooter things that open up from the wall? IIRC Bubble Shot and Metal Blade is very effective and doesn't require much energy to win.

[EDIT] I may have to play through this game now for old-times-sake.

I used Heat Man's weapon against Wood Man. It was a pain in the ass to use but it takes him out with 2 hits. Metal Blade does pretty good on just about anything but Wood Man's Leaf Shield was pissing me off because it is pretty tough to time the just and it only takes like 4 hits to take you out. Without Leaf Shield I doubt I would have been able to take out Air Man. I am no good at dodging his Tornadoes and too often he throws some that can't be dodged or the opening is just way to small for my skills.

Not not the boss where the squares come out of the wall and join together then attack. That thing was tough but only because there is no indication of where they are coming from. So unless you learned the pattern already or know that they never come from the middle two blocks then you pretty much die a few times to learn how it works.

I am talking about these blue orb things that stay on the wall and all shoot at once every second or so directly at you. They can only be damaged by crash bombs and are behind walls that need crash bombs to get through. You have 7 shots and you need every one the first try. If you fail the walls you blew up will stay gone until you game over or continue. My problem now is I can't seem to get there with enough health and those damn Items 1 and 3 are just difficult to use in the crowded space they provide you.

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.52%
    You mean the Boobeam trap? Something about it seems too perfect to be an oversight. Its like they deliberately wanted you to solve a puzzle. It can be done in one shot, you just have to know exactly how to use the Crash Bombs.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.04%
    Quote Originally Posted by King Aquamentus View Post
    You mean the Boobeam trap? Something about it seems too perfect to be an oversight. Its like they deliberately wanted you to solve a puzzle. It can be done in one shot, you just have to know exactly how to use the Crash Bombs.
    It's not hard to figure out if you know how many shots you get. I know it can be done in one turn but it doesn't make it simple. The biggest problem I have is getting there without being half dead and using the damn items.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.32%
    Someone said to start with Air Man? No way, start with Metal Man. Easiest robot master and also gives you the most overpowered weapon. But you're definitely outlying some of the big problems I had with Megaman 2, and why I can't understand how it's loved more than any other game in the series. I actually wrote up a big rant about it, outlining nearly all (if not all) of my reasons for disliking it.

If you're disliking Megaman 2 this much, you'll probably be like me and enjoy 3 a lot for the sheer reason that it's not 2. 3 isn't perfect and it has some areas where an eyebrow or two can be raised, but it's definitely a lot more well-done (though if you ask me, 4 is the most polished of the NES series, even if it's somewhat lackluster in the music department). Top Man or Magnet Man are my recommendation for starting with, I'd say Top Man is the easiest to buster-only, but Magnet Man is pretty simple too.

Thread Information