35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.33%
    I picked up 5 and 6 for a good price a few days ago. I'm now only missing Mega Man 4 from the NES series. I don't really want to eBay that one, since I've picked up all my other Mega Man games in the wild. Collecting is so fun.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.04%
    So I noticed something a little strange about Robot Master serial numbers:

DLN-000: Protoman
    DLN-001: Megaman
    DLN-002: Roll
    DLN-003 through 008: Cutman, Gutsman, etc.
    DWN-009: Metal Man...

wut? Is Dr. Wily that lazy that he just butts into Light's numbering system at #9? Shouldn't Metal Man be DWN-000?

Well, I figured it out. Dr. Wily stole Light's robots, and is still kind of at debate with Light on whether they are "his" robots (some sources claim that Light and Wily worked on 000-008 together, after all.) Naturally, Dr. Wily considers, for instance, Cutman to be DWN-003 instead of DLN-003.

As to why Concrete Man is not DLN-009, well... I guess Dr. Light has a sense of humor. (Oil Man and Time Man from Powered-Up! don't fit into the numerical sequence at all; they use letters.)

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.02%
    Owning the Mega Man Robot Master Field Guide, I've encountered this myself as well (it is also mentioned in some the the manga translated in the more recent years, worth a read btw) And some robots have other numbers (the gameboy "Mega Man Killers" use the MKN designation, Bass/Forte uses SWN, the original robots from Mega/Rockman & Bass/Forte built by King use KGN - which excludes the robots re-used from MM8 - , the robots trio based on chinese folklore from Wily Wars ie: Busterrod G use WWN, though the Dark Man robots (from NES MM 5) don't have numbers to them, and neither do several support robots (ie: Beat, Auto, etc) nor does the Doc Master K-176 from NES MM2 and Duo from MM 8 onwards. The Fake Man (Police Robot from MM 9) also lacks a number while the rest of MM 9's Robot Masters have the DLN for being Light Robots (though this is glossed over by some people for whatever reason). The Stardroids from GB MM 5 have SRN for their numbers except for Sunstar himself. Another note is that King himself lacks a number despite Wily being credited as his creator.

I'm done rambling now. Being sick does that to me. *blark*
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.04%
    Quote Originally Posted by mrz84 View Post
    Owning the Mega Man Robot Master Field Guide, I've encountered this myself as well (it is also mentioned in some the the manga translated in the more recent years, worth a read btw) And some robots have other numbers (the gameboy "Mega Man Killers" use the MKN designation, Bass/Forte uses SWN, the original robots from Mega/Rockman & Bass/Forte built by King use KGN - which excludes the robots re-used from MM8 - , the robots trio based on chinese folklore from Wily Wars ie: Busterrod G use WWN, though the Dark Man robots (from NES MM 5) don't have numbers to them, and neither do several support robots (ie: Beat, Auto, etc) nor does the Doc Master K-176 from NES MM2 and Duo from MM 8 onwards. The Fake Man (Police Robot from MM 9) also lacks a number while the rest of MM 9's Robot Masters have the DLN for being Light Robots (though this is glossed over by some people for whatever reason). The Stardroids from GB MM 5 have SRN for their numbers except for Sunstar himself. Another note is that King himself lacks a number despite Wily being credited as his creator.

I'm done rambling now. Being sick does that to me. *blark*
    Also, those special serial prefixes individually start at 000 and go up, unlike the DLN and DWN series.
    Last edited by King Aquamentus; 08-08-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.33%
    I didn't post this here for some reason. I now have all 6 Mega Man games on the NES.
    BvXJZ9WCEAAFdaL.jpg

I picked up Mega Man X on the SNES as well. I'm looking for the super freaking expensive ones now.

I'm thinking of doing a video that critically analyses all 6 of the NES Mega Man games. I want to see which one is the best out of these 6, without looking at them through nostalgia colored glasses. This will be hard because I've played them all a million times and they don't really challenge me unless I start putting rules on myself like "no damage" or "no weapon use" runs. I played 4 and 5 the last two nights. They were both a lot better when I looked at them for their flaws and their strengths. Mega Man 5 definitely has the best graphics in the NES series. The only problem I have with both of these entries is that there is no real reason to use robot master weapons unless you're fighting robot masters or end bosses. Even then, sometimes the Mega Buster charge shot is still the way to go. See: Toad Man.

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.04%
    Megaman 2 is always the one people fawn over, though tbh I don't think it really...*quite* refined the Megaman experience for me like #3 did, and 3 was full of little bugs and unfinished stuff. Yet I don't really care as much for 4 and 5, good as they are. I did like 6.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.09%
    I bought Megaman V for Game Boy off the 3DS Virtual Console a little bit ago and recently actually played and beat it. It was a little shorter than most titles, and also pretty easy overall in comparison, but it was fun. The only Game Boy titles in the series I've played though are this and the first, Dr. Wily's Revenge, which I emulated. That was a while ago though, so I don't really remember how well it went. It seemed decent from memory at least. I haven't quite heard good things about the Game Boy titles, but did hear that V wasn't bad. And honestly, it was kinda fun, and almost stands on its own against the NES series. It had some neat and unique twists on gameplay, it had bosses that weren't robot masters, and Dr. Wily, while present, was not the final boss. The story wasn't that great but hey, it's Megaman, what do you expect? My only real issues with it were that there didn't seem to be very many checkpoints, and a death could require you to do a lot of backtracking; also, some areas seemed like they required a little too much precision, leading to the aforementioned issue. Lastly, the controls and physics aren't as precise as the NES games and it feels a little floaty as a result, so if you're too used to the NES controls, this might throw you off just enough to be a slight annoyance. Otherwise it was actually quite fun. I'm not sure I could give it a strong recommendation, but it's worth looking into I'd say.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.33%
    Quote Originally Posted by The Satellite View Post
    I bought Megaman V for Game Boy off the 3DS Virtual Console a little bit ago and recently actually played and beat it. It was a little shorter than most titles, and also pretty easy overall in comparison, but it was fun. The only Game Boy titles in the series I've played though are this and the first, Dr. Wily's Revenge, which I emulated. That was a while ago though, so I don't really remember how well it went. It seemed decent from memory at least. I haven't quite heard good things about the Game Boy titles, but did hear that V wasn't bad.
    Mega Man IV was pretty good too, from what I remember. My friend had it and I played it years ago. I haven't played it since. I'm planning on picking it up on the Virtual Console since it'll be cheap, and if I like it enough, I'll grab a physical copy so I can do a review of it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.09%
    So Megaman 6 was a lot better than I remember. I bought it last week on Wii U Virtual Console and had a hell of a good time with it. I now think it's one of the best, maybe the best, I dunno. The only thing I didn't like much was not being able to jump out of a slide anymore, but it's honestly pretty minor. Bought 4 now, so I'll see if that's as good as I remember.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.33%
    I played 6 the other night too. The best part about it is the Rush Jet adapter. It's really fun to use. I really liked the turn from the old Rush accessories in this game. The music is solid, and the gameplay is as good as ever. My problem with 6 are the Wily bosses. They're just really silly, and feel like they were just thrown together at the last minute. I played 5 the night before and I have to say that I think the graphics in 5 are better than the graphics in 6.

Thread Information