Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.6%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    When I saw this, I thought you were talking about the television show about magical martial arts. Then I realized you were talking about the movie with the giant blue people.
    Yeah, the cartoon is way better. I love that show. I own all three books of the original series on DVD.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.31%
    The Last Airbender cartoon is fantastic!

...But I'm risking derail, so I suppose I should post another hated trope. I don't think there's a name for this, but... when every lead character has to make a reaction to EVERY situation. Though not technically a TV show, the Disgaea games are particularly guilty of this. Oh no, the villain has said something! Now wait ten minutes while each of the two dozen main characters input their two cents.

Super Marxio Brother GrantGreif's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.81%
    If we're also talking about games, I'd like say that dramatic irony (when the viewer knows something the protagonist doesn't) does not work well in them. A major example of this I can think of would be the Bubble Lake segment in Bowser's Inside Story. Basically, Mario and Bowser are both trying to find a sage before the other. Bowser thinks it's in a forest, however the player knows that it isn't, but you still have to try to get Bowser to the forest to advance the plot anyway.

Keese
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.24%
    ---
    Last edited by Liliith; 10-04-2023 at 10:44 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.57%
    I just saw a trailer for this film coming out called Lucy. And it reminded me of the absolute most irritating trope of all time.

"We only use 10% of our brains!"

The only people who only use ten percent of their fucking brains are the morons that think that's a good premise for a story.

Super Marxio Brother GrantGreif's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.81%
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliem View Post
    I just saw a trailer for this film coming out called Lucy. And it reminded me of the absolute most irritating trope of all time.

"We only use 10% of our brains!"

The only people who only use ten percent of their fucking brains are the morons that think that's a good premise for a story.
    I don't know if it's 10%, but there is a portion of our brain that cannot be used for one reason; it's the adhesive holding it together. Billions of years of evolution would not result in a brain that could not be used to its full potential

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.14%
    The closest reality comes to that "10% of your brain" crap is the fact that not all areas of your brain are firing all the time. But obviously they're not, or otherwise the brain wouldn't be able to generate meaningful signals. If every neuron were firing constantly, it'd be the equivalent of static. Like, if you were looking at a computer at the binary level, and could see all the 1's and 0's, would you say, "This computer is inefficient, it's only using about half of the available 1's. All these 0's could be 1's, too!"
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Thread Information