2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    17.83%
    ...Um, I would like to point out that prayer is allowed in public spaces, per the FIRST AMENDMENT. What many people get confused about is that government officials are not allowed to LEAD prayer in public spaces, as that would constitute a state-establishment of religion. For some reason, the fact that officials can't lead prayer leads some to conclude that prayer is banned in public spaces. A classic example is school prayer. Most people understand that teachers can't lead prayer - for some reason this gets turned around and people think this means students can't pray themselves. Students are perfectly within their rights to pray in school, so long as it's not disruptive, it's simply that teachers can't lead the prayer and time can't be set aside for prayer as part of the school schedule. This, however, doesn't mean that if little Timmy is caught praying at school that he'll get in trouble. A lot of people seem to think that's the case, though, and I've never really understood why.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    32.06%
    Sorry for being way off topic. So my 9th grade teacher lied to me when she told me get off my knees prayer isn't allowed in schools. Which I wasn't Christian at the time and was only on my knees to put books up. Then again I hated school and they let me get bullied and said I played the victim. It's no wonder I was scared to come out in school which btw they should of known I was transgender and helped me then to transition. Cause I always sang girly song's in a woman's voice when they locked me in the room the school used for punishing me when I so called played the victim. Instead I'm 30 and just now about to see an endocrinologist. :'( But anyways what we need is someone to fix the school system. I hope the next president or govener does something if it hasn't been fixed yet. But yea what rock_nog pointed out hit a trigger in my heart of which has been shattered by many things over the years. Again I'm sorry for if this is too off topic but I had to vent on that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    17.83%
    Yeah, your 9th grade teacher did, in fact, lie to you. Granted, I mean generally that doesn't mean it gives you a free pass to be disruptive or not pay attention to the lessons, but if you want to pray in school, you damn well have the right. Like, I mean if you're in the cafeteria and you wanna say grace before eating, there's no rule against that. Sorry your formative years were... well, shitty beyond all reason, from the sound of it. Also, I do apologize for any harshness in my tone earlier, it's just so often people use prayer in school as a battleground - they'll make false claims that students aren't allowed to pray in school, just as a way in to force prayer in school. It's much easier, after all, to force the issue when you claim your rights are being infringed. "I'm not allowed to pray in school, so we need to change the rules to allow prayer in school..." and pretty soon, you're right back to having teachers lead prayers, and that's just wrong on so many levels. Or it's an argument for why we need to defund public schools and put all our education money into private schools, to ensure that religious children aren't prevented from practicing their beliefs (even though, as I said, you're completely free to practice your religious beliefs in school, so long as they aren't disruptive). Sorry, I'm kinda going off on a tangent myself.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    53.36%
    I'm libertarian. Libertarian does not mean limited government. It means granting people as much freedom as possible. This usually requires limiting government, but not necessarily. For example: murder violates a person's inalienable right to life, therefore laws must be made to illegalize murder. This is an example where libertarianism actually strengthens government.

Another way of looking at libertarianism is to think that everything is de facto legal until it is made illegal, and rights are always negative.
    Last edited by anikom; 08-05-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    15.33%
    I used to be a registered Libertarian.

Thread Information