0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.81%
    Something tells me that this has gone on longer than it probably should have. I never even really liked Power Rangers as a kid, I just thought the movie was awesome.

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.42%
    There are no limits, we are merely giving life to the thread where there was none

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.14%
    You know it's funny, I never even saw the Power Rangers movie. I was a big fan of the show as a kid, but I think I might have just been about the age to be growing out of Power Rangers by the time the movie came out. Though I do remember playing the SNES game based on the movie.

Alright, let's get back on track here, maybe, I dunno. How about The Last Unicorn? Oddly enough, I myself hated the movie as a kid - maybe because my sisters watched it over and over again, and I kinda had the prejudice of "Oh, it's unicorns and love and shit, that's all too girly for me." Growing up, though, I came to love it, even though most people I know think the thing is just ridiculous. Plus, it had a damn nice (in my opinion) soundtrack by America. Oh, and super bonus points for having a young Jeff Bridges.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.95%
    One of my favorites is a little 80's movie called "Down Twisted." It's a low budget production so I think it qualifies, however I don't think I know anyone who has watched it. It features Charles Rocket and Bond Girl Carrie Lowell. An IMDB review has a better plot outline, but it's basically about a heist gone wrong and a normal girl gets mixed up in it because they think she is the key to fixing it. My favorite scene is at the climax when the thieves finally collect their money. Linda Kerridge is trying to walk out of the airport inconspicuously, while the of money stuffed into her blouse keeps falling out, leaving a trail behind her. This and a few other things in the movie make it a personal favorite of mine, but I can tell the production quality is low, the plot drags a bit in certain areas, and the dialogue can get a little cheesy which is why I give it the "bad movie" rating.
    <- Play Triforce Quest!

"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love. So If one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
    -Belldandy, Oh My Goddess!

"Who cares if I'm a star up here?" - Minmei, Robotech
    "You bookahs worry too much about external appearances. It's what's inside your skull that counts." - Taimi, Guild Wars 2

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    76.2%
    Quote Originally Posted by King Aquamentus View Post
    a close second:

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (1995)

Most of the problem with this film is that people saw it as a 90-minute version of the same 30-minute Tokusatsu/Saved by the Bell hybrid you'd get on Fox Kids, and the production values associated with the show already gave it a bad name with a lot of people. But in truth...

It's more of a 90-minute version of one of the show's gamechanging 120-minute miniseries, except replace Rito with Ivan Ooze, and Ninjor with a hot redhead in a bikini and barbarian boots. Oh, and a big Hollywood budget. It's the show, but better. Better music, Better production quality, better sets, better Angel Grove, better plot (I'm serious), better villains, better ranger suits (plated armor), and some kickass CGI Megazord fighting (ok I lied. the CGI sucks balls.)

The basic plot is that 6000 years ago, an ancient order of Power Rangers had sealed Ivan Ooze away, deep beneath Angel Grove. Once villains Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa found out where, they broke the seal and freed Ivan, asking only that in return, he destroy the rangers mentor and source of power, Zordon. Ivan has a personal beef with Zordon and is happy to oblige, but only for his own ends, because as soon as he's done, he also takes out Rita and Zedd, crowning himself the new ruler of the universe. With no powers and Zordon slowly dying, the rangers are forced to make a dangerous trek to a faraway planet in search of new powers which can save their fallen leader and destroy Ivan.

It's definitely not the greatest movie ever made, but still an entertaining action/adventure romp with the good sense to have some form of real conflict, rather than just summon the megazord and blow the monster up. The plot of this film is the same kind of plot that made up the beginning of the show's second season, and also the Evil Green Ranger saga (aka the show's most memorable moments), and it works well in that regard. The characters are pretty flat, but mostly because the children are already expected to know how they've evolved up to now (the movie is set between seasons 2 and 3), and the parents aren't going to care anyways. Of particular mention is Billy, the nerd of the group. He doesn't even wear glasses in the movie (by request of the actor, who had trouble with the frames) or even demonstrate his intellect, essentially making him a blue version of the red and black rangers. However, these are again characters who have already had personalities established outside of the film, so most kids would fill in the blanks.

All in all, if you're curious enough to watch it, it's not a terrible movie. In fact, in many ways it is pretty badass. It's just... well... It's Power Rangers.
    I hated the show, but the movie for some reason worked. I don't know why.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.77%
    Anyone else besides me enjoy the movie Galaxy Quest? I have some friends who can't stand it for some reason but it's another one of those movies that I have to watch if it's on.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.14%
    I friggin' love Galaxy Quest, but then, I've never known anyone who thought it was a bad movie. Actually, it's one of those movies that's really kinda grown on me - not that I didn't enjoy it the first time I saw it, but I wasn't super-familiar with Star Trek when I did (I mean, I watched it when it was on and whatnot but I wasn't like a diehard fan at the time), and I certainly wasn't really aware of all of the behind-the-scenes drama and whatnot they were spoofing.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.57%
    I loved Galaxy Quest. I haven't seen it in ages, though, so who knows if I'd still enjoy it today.

My favorite bad movie has gotta be the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. No one I know enjoyed that movie, but I loved it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.14%
    Aww heck, I hadn't even thought about the Hitchhiker's Guide movie in ages. I should watch that again sometime. I'll definitely agree that it hardly compares to the books, the radio show, or the TV show, and it relied way too much on slapstick, but it was enjoyable for what it was.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.97%
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliem View Post
    I loved Galaxy Quest. I haven't seen it in ages, though, so who knows if I'd still enjoy it today.

My favorite bad movie has gotta be the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. No one I know enjoyed that movie, but I loved it.
    I am deeply offended. Galaxy Quest was far from bad. My god, man! The Hitchhiker's Guide... movie, however, completely bad. It was funny. Though, not as much as it wanted to be. I enjoyed it but I have never been tempted to give it another go.

I think I only enjoyed the Power Rangers movie as an adult because of nostalgia. It was terrible. The only redeeming trait was Ivan Ooze. Even an awesomely bad villain can't make up for a garbage film.

My favorite bad fllm right now? (This is going to piss off some people) Terminator 2. I just recently rewatched this after not seeing it since i was either an early teen or a preteen. After watching the first and being blown away by how much better it was than I could have appreciated as a kid I started T2 with high hopes. It is amazingly bad for such a praised movie. The only thing that kept me watching was the Uber-Nostalgia. I will admit it is damn cool, but really a bad movie. How was it bad?

The acting: The Terminator was AHHHHNold best role. Why? It required absolutely no acting. All he had to do was look emotionless, intimidating, and awesome! The opening scene of T2 lets you know right away they ruined it. Instead of a killing machine we now have a goofy machobot. All the actors in the film seem to realize that despite the fact that their characters are in serious situations they are in a brainless action film and you cannot take any of them seriously. Not a single character in the film seems to grow at all besides Sarah Conner who seems to be regressing to a child from the badass heroine we got at first.

The Cool Villain: It's okay though, right? Arnold's Terminator getting the pop icon treatment is fine because we have a new monster, and this guy is actually a good actor! Of course, he gets no chance to act! He does his best cold killer routine in the beginning, which is somewhat convincing AND THEN HE DISAPPEARS! for the whole middle of the movie! WTF? The best part of his (I forgot his name and I dont want to look it up) terminator was when he was creepy. If only he was given a chance to be more than an obligatory obstacle.

The Plot: It isn't that bad so much as it is completely expected. Everything happens just as a brainless action movie should.

Thread Information