Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.51%
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    ...without the extras, there would be no Swan, and the movie wouldn't be half as entertaining without Swan - just such a great villain).
    Agreed. The character as villain is just as apropos today as he was then. It helped that Williams was both the embodiment and antithesis of Swan at that point in those days. Supposedly De Palma gave Williams' a lot of leeway as no one knew that story, at that time in the '70's music scene, as well as Williams. Extremely talented, he wrote many of the popular songs of the day both for himself and for other performers (he made The Carpenters... too bad he did not feed them as well) and was briefly considered a sex symbol in spite of his less than tall stature. Unfortunately, his similarity to Swan included an appreciation for intoxicants and between troubles with the music industry sharks and his own addictions, his career suffered until he finally got clean. I believe it was the cult popularity of Phantom', and himself by extension, that helped bring him back.
    "The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius."

Glenn the Great: I just think I'd be happier as a pretty lesbian girl.

"Live and Let Live" is an excellent, tree-hugging philosophy, but it doesn't do much when the ones you refuse to kill are dragging you down with them.

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.03%
    As of right now, my favorite film is still a little story about a french vampire?/zombie? "american", his cheating fiance, a titular room, and a doggy. YOU'RE TEARING ME APART LISA

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.44%
    Quote Originally Posted by King Aquamentus View Post
    As of right now, my favorite film is still a little story about a french vampire?/zombie? "american", his cheating fiance, a titular room, and a doggy. YOU'RE TEARING ME APART LISA
    The Room. I knew someone would mention this at some point. I have gone out of my way to avoid watching this just in spite of my friends who have tried to make me watch it... nope.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    17.83%
    I really wouldn't count The Room, no offense, because it falls into that category of "so bad it's good." I mean, as far as I know, the only reason ANYONE likes that movie is because it's so fun to laugh at how terrible it is.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.64%
    Eight Crazy Nights

Too many people see this as a humorless story with a ton of jackass characters. I see it as an amazing Holiday tale of a guy who hates the holidays learning the error of his ways, in a good way. Let's talk about the things that people consider a "problem" for the movie.

Characters: This is one that I don't get. The fact that the characters are all "heartless assholes". The thing is, as this is suppose to be a mix between animated and realistic style, it makes sense for the characters to be assholes, as that is indeed a very true interpretation of the real world. The real world does have a crapton of assholes, and some of them even develop as the story goes. It's a very real way of saying that nobody in this world is perfect.

Now as for certain characters, let's talk about Davey Stone, the protagonist. A lot of people consider this guy to be a bad protagonist, which is just stupid. The tale of a grumpy jewish guy, while it doesn't sound like a great idea, oddly works, and works even better with Adam Sandler playing him, as the voice fits perfectly. Now for the character that people consider the most annoying character in the movie, Whitey Duvall. I don't understand why people hate this guy so much. If it's because his voice is annoying, then your ears must be messed up or something, as I don't mind his voice at all, it fits his personality, and I don't find it annoying either. Either way, the characters really aren't that annoying once you understand "why" they're like that.

Art Style: How could people not like this? It's so beautifully drawn, even to a Disney-esque Quality. I often see the argument that the art style doesn't fit the tone of the movie, which is silly. It's a Christmas and Hanukkah movie, it's common for the environments to be nice and beautiful, only for our protagonist to ruin them, and that's part of the comedy. Speaking of that.

Jokes: This is the only one I somewhat agree on. A lot of the jokes are crude, and take some getting used to, but at the end of the day, if you can look past some crude jokes, it's an amazing movie.

The Musical Numbers: Wait, seriously? People hated these? These are some of the best songs to set the tone for the movie, and they're essential for getting the plot going. Exposition is boring, and none of the songs are pointless whatsoever. The songs fit perfectly, that is all I have to say. They're also some of the most memorable songs you'll ever hear in a musical or movie in general.

All I'm trying to say is, Eight Crazy Nights is one of the most underrated Holiday Movies...no, Movies in general of all time, as well as my all time favorite holiday movie. If you see it at the store, buy it, you will not regret it.
    Last edited by Goriya; 04-28-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Made some revisions.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.03%
    a close second:

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (1995)

Most of the problem with this film is that people saw it as a 90-minute version of the same 30-minute Tokusatsu/Saved by the Bell hybrid you'd get on Fox Kids, and the production values associated with the show already gave it a bad name with a lot of people. But in truth...

It's more of a 90-minute version of one of the show's gamechanging 120-minute miniseries, except replace Rito with Ivan Ooze, and Ninjor with a hot redhead in a bikini and barbarian boots. Oh, and a big Hollywood budget. It's the show, but better. Better music, Better production quality, better sets, better Angel Grove, better plot (I'm serious), better villains, better ranger suits (plated armor), and some kickass CGI Megazord fighting (ok I lied. the CGI sucks balls.)

The basic plot is that 6000 years ago, an ancient order of Power Rangers had sealed Ivan Ooze away, deep beneath Angel Grove. Once villains Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa found out where, they broke the seal and freed Ivan, asking only that in return, he destroy the rangers mentor and source of power, Zordon. Ivan has a personal beef with Zordon and is happy to oblige, but only for his own ends, because as soon as he's done, he also takes out Rita and Zedd, crowning himself the new ruler of the universe. With no powers and Zordon slowly dying, the rangers are forced to make a dangerous trek to a faraway planet in search of new powers which can save their fallen leader and destroy Ivan.

It's definitely not the greatest movie ever made, but still an entertaining action/adventure romp with the good sense to have some form of real conflict, rather than just summon the megazord and blow the monster up. The plot of this film is the same kind of plot that made up the beginning of the show's second season, and also the Evil Green Ranger saga (aka the show's most memorable moments), and it works well in that regard. The characters are pretty flat, but mostly because the children are already expected to know how they've evolved up to now (the movie is set between seasons 2 and 3), and the parents aren't going to care anyways. Of particular mention is Billy, the nerd of the group. He doesn't even wear glasses in the movie (by request of the actor, who had trouble with the frames) or even demonstrate his intellect, essentially making him a blue version of the red and black rangers. However, these are again characters who have already had personalities established outside of the film, so most kids would fill in the blanks.

All in all, if you're curious enough to watch it, it's not a terrible movie. In fact, in many ways it is pretty badass. It's just... well... It's Power Rangers.

Super Marxio Brother GrantGreif's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    40.34%
    Oh my god, you have NO IDEA how many times I watched the Power Rangers movie when I was a kid, as a matter of fact, neither do I. I've forgotten most of the movie, except the beginning when they're skydiving, as well as the line, 'Guys and girls, girls and guys, gather round and feast your eyes!'

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.03%
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantGreif View Post
    Oh my god, you have NO IDEA how many times I watched the Power Rangers movie when I was a kid, as a matter of fact, neither do I. I've forgotten most of the movie, except the beginning when they're skydiving, as well as the line, 'Guys and girls, girls and guys, gather round and feast your eyes!'

I promise you all, you just can't lose, when you've got your own supply of Ivan's Ooze!!

Super Marxio Brother GrantGreif's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    40.34%
    Quote Originally Posted by King Aquamentus View Post

I promise you all, you just can't lose, when you've got your own supply of Ivan's Ooze!!
    Show it to your parents! Show it to your friends! When you've got some ooze, the fun never ends!

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.03%
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantGreif View Post
    Show it to your parents! Show it to your friends! When you've got some ooze, the fun never ends!
    Take it home in boxes!

Take it home in cases!

If your parents try to stop you, just throw it in their faces!!

Thread Information