8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.11%

Soulgazer's Requiem

By Shane 2013-2014

Soulgazer's Requiem is a quest of mine that started somewhat in June 2013. I only developed the title screen at the time, with the intention of using the EZGBZ 2.50 tileset by Lightwulf. Not long later, somewhere around August 2013, I decided to pick it up again by planning the story. I started off by basing the story off a unannounced two week contest quest, since I personally liked the potential of that storyline for it. After months of planning, the story is finally complete and ready to be implemented into the final product. But meanwhile all the planning, I fleshed out other content for the quest as well... but soon after, I fell mentally ill from family loses and depression, and was unmotivated, uninspired and unwilling to touch Zelda Classic for the longest time. Most people had the assumption of doubt. My quest wasn't going to be anywhere near done and I was aiming too high yet again... But early January 2014, I got back into full swing and developed screens like a mad man. I got a lot of positive reaction and feedback, and I couldn't be more happier with the project.

The quest is story-driven and focuses on looking and feeling like a true GBC Zelda title. That's not to say, this will feature a lot of new artwork, audio and the like. There are various resources in this quest that you won't find in a raw EZGBZ 2.50 tileset, but don't worry, once I finish this quest, I plan to release most of the custom content from the quest. Be it tiles, palettes or even music. Speaking of music, seeing that I'm going for a GBC styled Zelda game, Soulgazer's Requiem will feature songs from the GBC Zelda games, including some new track remixes from other Zelda games. It will also feature a lot of GBC Zelda physics that were seen in a project that I am helping with called Oracle of Awakening.

The game parallels with Skyward Sword on the timeline, and will explain why the Goddesses created the earth, law and people in the first place. It will also reexplain Hylia's role with the world, and the Sheikah's as well. I plan on climatic cutscenes and strong character development. I want the game to feel alive as much as possible. The most note worthy character to shout out is a girl named Scarlett; Link's typical childhood friend. Don't let her role as a typical childhood friend fool you as she plays a stronger and completely different role as you progress through the game. I won't dwell on discussing her anymore further.

As of now, I'm revisiting the overworld and most of the current screens and because of this, I don't want to show any screens as of this writing. This thread is just a "hey, you saw my screenshots in the screenshot thread, now let me explain you what was up with that" kind of thread, really. I noticed a lot of people here were interested here. Not an announcement thread, I'm leaving that for a later date.

Announcement Date: Mid-May | Demo Release Date: Late-July | Final Release Quest Date: Late-2015

Credits: Jared (Beta Tester), Gouanaco (Beta Tester), Sepulcher (Beta Tester), Jacques (Beta Tester), EddyTheOliveira (Beta Tester), Nexas (Beta Tester), Sheik (Graphics/Palettes), Whiterose (Graphics), NoeL (Graphics), Lightwulf (EZGBZ 2.50/Graphics), ZC Developers (Zelda Classic), Capcom (Oracle Series) and Nintendo (Zelda Series).

* Support outside the [PureZC] community will be credited inside the quest.

Well now, with all this aside, feel free to comment, ask, or suggest anything you want. Have a good day AGN and thanks for reading. I hope you look forward to this!
    Last edited by Shane; 04-29-2014 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Added Credits (Important!)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.11%
    I guess if it helps entice you, if you want more information, the best place to get it is on my PureZC Project Page.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Your work with Lightwulf on the Link Sprites is really amazing; I feel you have absolutely captured the original intention of the concept art. That's a big win in my book.

Also, you guys are doing a splendid job emulating the Gameboy mechanics. Keep up the great work!

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    I don't see my name listed under Beta Testers... >

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.11%
    Thanks guys, I too am pleased with Lightwulf's efforts myself. The custom Link sheet would not have been possible without his hard efforts. SUCCESSOR, if you want to become beta tester, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Cheers.

(This reminds me, I need to update the credits list and credit him for "Graphics" as well!)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.11%

Update #1 - Tower of Requiem

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the first official Soulgazer's Requiem update! For our first update, I'll cover all the details of an important location revealing some elements around it. Indeed, it is not much, but it is something at least, so enjoy!

The Tower of Requiem*is an iconic location from Soulgazer's Requiem located in Kakariko Cemetery which can be found in several canon Zelda games. The Tower of Requiem hides a dark history, so morbid that it shouldn't even be whispered in case evil find its whereabouts. It is guarded by the Hylia, the Goddess of Souls, but due to the properties of mortality in the realm of mankind, she began to lose her immunity to any foul blow the evil forces might strike. Acknowledging this, she gives up her physical form and seals her soul in crystal to forever watch the closed doors to a dark realm deep inside the earth whilst being shielded. It is important that her crystal soul remains intact, otherwise the darkness will no doubt attempt to break free from its prison.

The Tower of Requiem is named for what it enshrines, a golden lyre that Hylia played for her people. It is used once every year, strummed by the princess of Hyrule, at a carnival in the goddess's honor. But does the lyre do more than that? Rumors say that playing a certain song on it can extract one's soul from his or her body, allowing him or her to do all kinds of things you couldn't with a physical solid body. But we'll leave that for another update...

After Link meets up with Zelda, she assigns him a very personal task: to go to the Tower of Requiem and obtain the Goddess Lyre. But someone had locked up access to the tower. So don't follow the path, look high and low for a key, on the surface and in the catacomb caves. Maybe the grave-keeper Dampé has it? Dampé is a recurring Zelda character and serves as a grave-keeper and usually plays some minor role in Link's journey. He will do just that same here. Expect to see a lot of well known characters coming into Soulgazer's Requiem.

This is the Tower of Requiem. It's giant, it's ominous, and it's important. You make two trips here, one time serves as the intro dungeon, a simple climb up and the second serves as the possible final dungeon, where shutters/locked doors come into play. When Link enters the tower and obtains the lyre, he sense evil on the top floor, where the crystal lies. Who will Link encounter up there? What will happen? Also, before I end this, you may notice that the ??? symbols are on the overworld map too. Well, just like in dungeons, you have to find the respective area's map. So if you wanna know where you're going, you're going to have to do some blind exploring first.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.11%
    So I've got a lot to talk about! Most importantly, I'm redoing the entire storyline (but keeping in some elements like characters, places, etc.) for the sake of simplicity. It's still going for a mature Zelda feel, as always. Secondly, I'm redoing the Tower of Hylia, formally known as the Tower of Requiem until a name change was decided. Here's a sneak peak of what is to come on our ascent:

Also working on another project with a close offline friend, currently called Project: Cycle. More to come eventually:

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.11%
    QUEST CANCALLED

Quest is cancalled, a successor is being made. As for this though...

CANCELLED

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    53.36%
    Aww man I was looking forward to quest.

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    And you see, this is why we don't get our hopes up for quest anymore and become immune to hype.
    All the great and wonderful quest just get cancelled.

Thread Information