Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
Are you prone to inner-ear infections? Sometimes motion sickness is caused by a physical irregularity, usually something with the inner-ear. If you are not particularly prone to vertigo, it is probably not that but something to think about.

I only get motion sick reading in cars; boats have never been a problem and I can stay in a gravitron until my legs turn to jelly and still walk a straight line. If you are like me, it is no actually the motion but the blur of peripheral images that causes the sensation and that can be averted somewhat. When I speed read, no sickness, probably because I hyperfocus when speed reading and do not see anything beyond the lines on the page. That does nothing when reading road signs but I do not get motion sick reading road signs. The other thing that helps is just relaxing the eyes and keeping focus soft. Take a moment every few minutes of reading time to look around and casually appreciate the scenery beyond the vehicle. And do not forget to breathe -- in through the nose, out through the mouth. There is a physiological response to the strong inhalation of air through the sinus passages that helps relax the eyes and alleviate dizziness.
No. I am not prone to ear infections of vertigo. It also doesn't matter if it is perceived motion or actual motion. If I see things spinning fast it can me a little nauseous. "Found footage" films kill me, and not just because they are awful. Like I said it is mostly manageable. I don't get really sick often. Usually on a bus trip the sickness will fade after 5 to 10 minutes of walking. I don't have any problems with boats. Though, I suppose if there was a lot of wake it might be a minor issue. When i get hit with it I usually close my eyes which helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
Take a moment every few minutes of reading time to look around and casually appreciate the scenery beyond the vehicle.
I do this to try to beat it but reading is very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTiger View Post
Sounds a bit like Chicken or the egg here?
Well, the main difference would be that I get sick even when there is nothing to cause anxiety. The first time I recall getting car sick I was a kid and was very distracted.