Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%

5th Quest Public Judging

NOTICE: This proposed method of judging is not currently in use.

Okay! It has been just over a month since the submissions closed. Hopefully you've had time to just browse and enjoy the surplus of quests that were submitted. Now it's time to start picking which quest you want to be the next number installment in Zelda Classic.

I have added a multiple-choice poll to each quest thread, which expires sometime during the afternoon (15:ish GMT -6) on the 14th of April 2014.
    It's a little ironic that the close date is 4/14/14, since I arbitrarily picked 123 days for the length of the poll. ANYWAY! You may vote for as many categories as you like, but please also vote for "played" if you played the quest, we will be using this to determine which quest got the most traffic.

Here is a more in-depth description of each category:

Played
    You played the quest. We will be using this category to track which quest was played the most. If you're voting, I should hope you at least played the quest before you picked it!

Best Candidate
    Cumulatively, you believe that the quest should be the winner of the contest. We will use this category to determine finalists for the private judging

Riddler
    Of all the quests you played (and I hope you played at least two!), you felt the quest was the most clever with puzzles. Puzzles can include text riddles, mazes, tool puzzles (burn flags, push blocks, etc) and Overworld layout.

Hardest
    Of all the quests, you struggled the most with the difficulty of this one. Perhaps it is a lack of access to necessary equipment or perhaps it is the structure of rooms and enemies. Being Hardest doesn't necessarily mean you didn't LIKE the quest, though, if you did not enjoy the best it is better to refrain from voting in categories outside "Played".

Purple Ganon
    You feel the quest featured a particularly clever or unusual boss fight. Perhaps the projectiles are strange for that type of boss, or the room layout is bizarre. Or perhaps it is my awesome Ganon fight! Sorry, had to get that in somewhere. <_<

Gold Darknut
    You feel the quest featured a particularly interesting new enemy concept. The new enemy needn't have new graphics to qualify.

Underhell
    You feel the dungeons in the quest were rigorous, clever, and enjoyable, much more so than other quests in the contest.

Pixel Power
    You feel the quest made use of new or ripped tiles that were elegant but did not disturb the overall appearance of the Classic Style

Famicom
    You feel the quest is very NES authentic, and could picture it on a cartridge in an old system.

It is important to note that even though the poll is multiple choice, you only get to vote once per quest! Make sure you've picked the categories you absolutely want for that quest before you submit.

Also, in case you're wondering why I posted identical messages in every quest thread, it was to filter the non-quest threads to the bottom of the sub-forum so as to remove distractions. I posted in order of last post date, so the quest that was being discussed most recently is still at the top of the forum.

Too Long, Didn't Read!
    Each quest thread now has a poll! Go vote! Vote in multiple categories! And vote before April 14th!

Octorok
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.45%
    I like the categories and all, but I feel like this public voting is going to give people like Nightmare and Shoelace a huge edge as a lot of people will play their quests, and most unknowns won't get as nearly as much traffic. (Nothing against them, they are just popular in the community)

Going off PureZCs download numbers (since there's no way I could get download #s from here)

Shoelace - 136
    Travster - 69
    Btjcraft - 56
    LoveForFire - 50
    Scootaloo - 50

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%
    Well we can try to break down the popularity power with some cheesy statistics by weighing the votes against the number of times played

Example:
    Nightmare: 60 played, 40 Purple Ganon -> 40/60 -> 66% Purple Ganon

CJC: 6 played, 5 Purple Ganon -> 5/6 -> 78% Purple Ganon

CJC wins the Purple Ganon Award

Unfortunately, quests that have extremely low play numbers (less than 10) will instead be boosted by UNpopularity power in that setup. So a quest would need at least 10 plays to place.

We should use this thread to discuss other judging options and come to a decision on which is the best way to handle the contest.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Quote Originally Posted by Love For Fire View Post
    I like the categories and all, but I feel like this public voting is going to give people like Nightmare and Shoelace a huge edge as a lot of people will play their quests, and most unknowns won't get as nearly as much traffic. (Nothing against them, they are just popular in the community)

Going off PureZCs download numbers (since there's no way I could get download #s from here)

Shoelace - 136
    Travster - 69
    Btjcraft - 56
    LoveForFire - 50
    Scootaloo - 50
    I think there will be some sort of paragraph judging here, so a total blind tally will not be happening. Or else we would have the "most played" problem.

I'm not the biggest fan of this system, but I think it's pretty much required in this one.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.59%
    As far as I can remember that is exactly why there wasn't going to be any polls. We'll figure it out.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.24%
    I am against polls for the narrowing-down/elimination round.

...Unless we can replace it with a stripper poll, then I would vote yay if there was a poll for that.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%
    Okay, so here's a follow-up question

Since we probably aren't going to use the results of the polls in any significant way, should they be left up as a means of cataloging player opinions or should they be deleted? I have no objections either way; my only intent was to get people judging the quests.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.73%
    I thought it was going to be at least 2 tiered (since there are so many entries). First round, eliminate entries due to too easy, too hard, or just didn't follow specs. Second round, use some kind of rankings to get the top pick.

But of course the question still is "how?"

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.59%
    I think the current issue right now is getting people to play the entries and more importantly give feedback on them.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.24%
    Yep, there's a shit ton of quests for people to play. Personally, I'm still working on starting up quest #3 myself -- my goal is to finish 5 or 6 of them all the way through.

Somehow I never manage to get anything done in December either... Not sure what's up with that. *drinks more egg nog*
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Thread Information