Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    83.84%

Zelda Classic 2014

For those of you who took the time to see what I was doing with ZC this last couple years, you'll have already known that the sideview and overhead scrolling capabilities are up and running just fine with the right system running them, and also that there were some other things like the "Zelda" character that increased Link's speed so that he could run around really fast like the skateboarding Link. Next year I am planning to publish (for those of you who haven't done so yourselves already) Pegasus Boots for non scrolling and the scrolling, which will be just a slight mod of what the running script already does (which is in fact actually going to make the boots LESS capable than they are the way I wrote them the first time) and finish up the overhead scrolling portion of the coding with hookshot capability.

So that's pretty much, besides probably making some more maps and possibly making an attempt at getting my own quest file up to about 25% done throughout the year, with original graphics and new bosses, etc., it.

Zelda 2 Classic though.. With some adjustments to the scripts that were included in Zim.qst, the rest of Zelda 2 Classic is already done too:
    It has experience points systems, the attack modification (not just new swords with different damage levels), sidescrolling, etc., and will require minor alterations to become a Zelda 2 Clone.

Simple things like an overhead map (the world map) will be done by making Link move 1 pixel at a time while on the overhead view instead of 2, and keeping it 2 pixels at a time for sideview.

The only things that I didn't get done with is the UpStab, DownStab, HighJump, etc... The magic spells and skills stuff.. All the enemies and bosses, and whatever any and all alternate behaviors Zelda 2 has to offer. I was more interested in making some original content.
    [Obviously Link couldn't Wall Kick in the Adventures of Link]

The other basic things are done, like the way that Link can move in the places in general, [not special moves], doorway/cave warping to location in/out, [which isn't the same as regular ZC warping since it's based on a bigger coordinate system, and not so much screen by screen, but overall location.]

Happy Holidays!

First real update on this probably won't be until February 2014, as I'm going to take my time and do this right before it's published, and at least end up with something similar to a BS Zelda 2 demo that at least plays like Zelda 2 if not be exactly like it before I publish.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    86.19%
    A Zelda II Classic!? Why wasn't I informed about this?

Anyway, sweet. It's nice to know that people are working hard to make this exist. Can't wait until February!
    Current quests in progress:
    • Race For Power

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.53%
    You know when you finally get what you have been wanting for years, you get that "dream feel" phenomenon from the excitement.

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.53%
    OMG... *feeling like it's a dream* ZELDA II CLASSIC??? That is gonna be AWESOME!!! I can't wait until February too. That seems too soon. I can't wait to see the screenies of what it would look like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.14%
    And then after this............ OoT/MM Classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!........... What? A man can dream can't he.....? :sweatdrop:

J/K. But seriously im looking forward to it!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    83.84%
    Just to clarify though, the code isn't going to be a Zelda II Classic right off the get go, the quest file I'm going to make is going to make Zelda Classic run like Zelda II, and I'm just going to get some tilesets and write SOME MORE of what it will take to make a game like The Adventures of Link.
    To make an actual Zelda II Classic would take some time and participation of other people, unless I started writing C some or something. With a change of the title screen and whatnot it pretty much would be Zelda II Classic, but there's not going to be any additions to the window menu options in ZQ for the Zelda II Classic features unless if and when I learn C, or someone else (Saffith, Gleeok, or someone else), actually implements them by writing in activation routines in C for ZQ that trigger the code I'm writing without having to alter the code yourself and have them become built in parts of what would be another part of std functions.

As you would've noticed it's all basically the same as usual with the scripting for the scrolling parts and stuff, there's just no window options to set warps and things like that yet, although there could be, I just don't do development for the C aspect of ZQ or anything yet so I don't know if that's ever going to happen, although it's actually already done for the coding of the functions themselves.

So far it's going to be a dummy script for combos and saving the given warp's Z[0] and Z[1] coordinates into a new array for warps for the scrolling, that's
    going to be for the doors and entrances/exits from town and dungeon buildings, as well as caves.
    This system is the same in principle to the way ZC already is, it's just referencing to a different array of X,Y coordinates on the given DMAP as per where
    Link is on the map, so various other quick functions for this system will eventually be written also, such as
    WarpTo(int dmap,int X,int Y), which would simply warp Link to the X,Y on the DMap,
    WarpToDoor(int dmap,intscreen,int door),warp Link to the given door on the screen of the dmap,
    etc., and these are the types of functions that could be written into ZQ, with another screen flag implemented that checks for isScrolling.
    This stuff will temporarily use Screen Flag and Combo Flag dummy scripts for the time being.

I'm going to get started on making more of this next week. If anyone feels like ripping some graphics into ZC to make a tileset/comboset to import before I get started on that part of it I'd be glad for the help! [the maps, towns, dungeons, sprites, any of it. I know where to get a lot of it, and I already rigged some up for ZC already but I lost the pages at some point.]
    To make an actual premade combo set ready to make quests with and an actual 1st Quest Zelda II is going to take FOREVER.

I'll only have the rudimentary parts of it and some graphics for the first areas ripped in and ready to go by February. That is waaay to soon to have the whole thing done.
    By then though, Link should be going on the 1st overhead zone after the sidescrolling first part, and be able to do most of the maneuvers in Zelda II (Turning Red Included.)
    Last edited by Zim; 11-30-2013 at 04:23 PM.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.21%
    Why not just try and write this in c++, or, if it's a problem of getting a 2d engine/framework together to handle all the low-level stuff (if you don't have any experience with that, that is) you should try out C#/Mono; this handles resource, context, and memory management for you.

There's even a whole slew of 3rd-party stuff that works in conjuction with the XNA API already.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    83.84%
    This is just going to be a secondary .qst file I'm making for ZC, that's why.

I'm also going to be adding in features like Dash and Double Jump, as well as UpStab, DownStab, Whirlwind Slash, etc. (Like Megaman X4's Zero), and a series of Sequence Combo moves for Link aside from that, and keep the Wall Kick feature too. I figured I'd just make a Zelda II pack in the meanwhile for the fun of it, because it's all essentially the same moves and button configuration, just a little dumbed down for Zelda II as compared to Megaman X4.

By the end of it, the sidescrolling portion of Zim.qst (tentative title) should have all the moves of Link as usual, plus have maneuverability comparable to Megaman with his hovering boots skills + Zero. So he'll be able to jump up in the air, twice, dash forward once, hover anywhere in that sequence for awhile slightly upwards, and have sequence attacks in combination with the jet boots (so he doesn't go downwards at all with them, and does slightly without them while attacking mid-air) so Link will only be able to reach some extra special spots in the game by Jump, Dash, Jump, Hover, Sequence attack Forward, wall kick off of hard to get to wall, repeat in opposite direction, and other combinations of that sort of thing thereof.

That stuff, and the grappling hook which I haven't coded for scrolling yet, should make the game play funner than without it.

I only tried to learn C++ once so far, and I read through lots of the book and didn't even find the way to get one object actually on the screen. I plan on trying again sometime in the future though.
    All I gleaned from it was how to get ASCII text out on the screen. C in, C out.. So at that point I could have wrote a non MMORPG MUDD but that's about it.
    Last edited by Zim; 11-30-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.33%
    Sounds very innovative, I can't wait to see how far it goes.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    83.84%
    Sorry to say that the system I have isn't going to be capable of finishing Zelda II for ZC.

I'll have to find an equal or greater value system to the last one I had before I'll be able to continue with this, which will hopefully be next year but February might be a bit early.

Thread Information