0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.04%
    I returned to this quest because i was worried it wasnt getting attention due to the radical changes. i was hoping for good dungeons and new enemies that could nominate this for contention with the classic overworld restored. unfortunately i didn't find that.

the overworld is really really good, but the dungeons lack any interesting ideas. most are too easy and short. there were too few new enemies - most were the same except they took more hits. the one exception was the red zol, i like the way you made it determental to use the boomerang against it - would be cool for a goriya type enemy.

the bosses were boring. most were just chaotic with too many other enemies. And many of the boss room shapes were annoying. there was a couple times with the multiple boss rooms were i died after killing one or more but not all the bosses only to return and find them all dead.

I hope you rework the quest with broader rules because the overworld is really really good.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.2%
    Didn't think I'd be able to post my thoughts with "zeldaclassic" down. Gotta thank someone from the PureZC site for linking to these forums!

Another quest where 'authenticity' goes right out the window. Very uniquely done; in essence, you cut off the three left-hand columns of OVW screens and spliced them to the other side. (At the least, the one raft screen finally matches, palette-wise, with the screen next to it!)

The Dungeons didn't seem to have quite the flair to them. I'm not sure if it was deliberate to have the compass point to the boss, rather than the triforce. Stunning to me that the first two levels contain no Gorriyas, Darknuts, OR Wizzrobes, and that it's not until Level 8 that you see any blue Darknuts. Nothing out of the ordinary with the 'new' creatures, either. (The one boss room, with multiple entrances, was unique ... and vexxed me, as I didn't go in there until near the end, and had to double-back to grab the HC.)

It was a fun, quick quest, but apart from the OVW (which probably did go too far, in regards to this contest), nothing particularly struck me as awe-inspiring. (Being able to grab all OVW HCs and get the Magic Sword did remind me of Quest 1, to be fair.)

A couple errors: the screen SE of 'old Lvl 2' shows two staircases after you exit the cave; there's a 'pushable block' in Level 8 that accomplishes nothing; there's a gravestone that pushes, but doesn't play a chime.

Still, a tidy effort. "colon capital dee"

Gel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.9%
    Lucky 13

This is the 13th contest entry I've finished (only 4 more to go!)
    My thoughts: I think the shifted overworld was very interesting, with enough changes to individual areas (other than changing connectivity along the edge, of course) to make it more than just a shift. A few things about the overworld: The dock in what used to be the upper-right corner of the map is a little buggy. Sometimes when I launched from it to the left, the screen scrolled, but link didn't continue across, but since he was on a raft, I couldn't whistle aways (and the first time this hppened I didn't have the whistle anyway!). I would suggest modifying the screen to make the dock be one step in from the edge- I think that might fix the problem.
    The blue molblins take only 1/2 damage from sword beams- is that deliberate, or a mistake? Also, the wand seems to do magic swrod damage (rather than white sword damage) is that correct?

As for the dungeons, again, only a few comments- nothing bugged, just preferences:
    1) you use the same color bubbles for both A-type and B-type. When you need to get a specific recovery bubble, it would be nice to have a way to distinguish them (the same is true for the jinx bubbles, but to a lesser extent; you aren't going to not-avoid one based on the type, in general)
    2) In dungeon 6, The first door I opened led to the magic book. As a result, there were no more keys that I could get to, so I had to leave and purchase one (fortunately, I had found the cheap key shop, so it wasn't too bad). I then had an extra key that I refused to use when doing dungeon 7 (turns out that I got the magic key before I had to worry about that- I think that the magic key should probably be switched with the magic boomerang, as dungeon 7 is a bit early for it)
    3) the fire gels were interesting, but is there a way to make the flames go out faster? Too many times I cleared a room and had to sit back a while for them to slowly fade out.
    4) There should be a way in dungeon 9 to get to the silver-arrow path without taking damage- but the way it is set up, only a clock will prevent taking damage.
    5) multiple bosses in one room is interesting, but the problem is that if you kill any one boss, then they all disappear if you have to leave. In some cases, where you can leave without dying, it is a way to "cheat"- and once I actually got pushed out of the room by a hit, and so "beat" the bosses with only a partial battle.
    6) as has been pointed out by others, the compass points to the boss, not the triforce piece.

Overall, this was well constructed, but a bit too easy for a 5th quest (I've been saying that a lot recently- maybe these quests have improved my skill more than I thought- or just the luck of my playing order) There wasn't much in the way of interesting new creatures/bosses (most were simply powered up versions of existing ones), and so this earns a middle-of-the-pack 3 out of 5 from me.

Thread Information