6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.45%
    Hmm that's tricky, I feel like link only really holds things up when you find them in item cellars, though an exception can be made for that item. I'll probably fix it in the thread version but I won't re-upload to pure unless there's something else that needs fixing. I moved a heart container slightly and replaced the wall masters in levels 7-9 with stronger versions to give them a little more bite.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%
    Voting is now open for this quest. Vote for as many categories as you please, but be sure to vote before tax day!

Also, please post in this thread stating which categories you selected and explaining why you picked those categories.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Through 1. That sword thing was mean: You probably should've given the Boomerang so the player wasn't defenseless honestly. I looked all over the Overworld before I went to the First Quest's Lv. 1's entrance.

Through 1. Dungeon not too bad.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.04%
    i selected didn't complete. not because i couldn't. i just got tired of playing through these quests. i'm at level9. still my favourite, with the exception of the compass joke at the beginning.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Through 2, seems to have broken enemy groups and seems to play on a "power curve" for enemies like New Quest, going to hurt on NES authenticity points..

Edit: Through 3, thank god for potions early. Blue Wizzrobes with 6 Hearts are NASTY, NASTY, NASTY!

Edit: Got keylocked thanks to the Boomerang order, had to break into 5 to get a key. Maybe you should put the Boss Key at the Boomerang area.

Edit: Bugs in 5. I can't get the StepLadder. There seems to be a marking where I need the Whistle, and the wall by the arrow has no way of getting in. I'm stuck, I can't get either the Ladder or the Whistle.

-James
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-23-2013 at 11:19 PM.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt

Octorok
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.45%
    I'll probably get rid of the compass gimmick in the beginning. I thought it would be fun, and that most people would naturally look where the original Level 1 is as part of places to start exploring.

As for Lv2, I've played New Quest, but not following what you're saying about the power curve idea.

Level 3 actually had a couple of more blue wizzrobes and I took them out cause I thought it was a little too difficult XD.

I will try to make a fix to Level 4. Keys are only 80 rupees in the shop so you don't need to go to Level 5 to get one, but I'll find a way to fix that.

The Whistle is not in Level 5. If you are referring to the room with the block and the single blue tile, there is another room that gives a hint as to what to do there.

Spoiler: show
    The multi-colored room shows the path in which you need to push the block in the room with the single blue tile. The Stepladder is shortly after that puzzle. The Arrow points to the room where the StepLadder but you don't get in from that way.

Edit: reuploaded, swapped the boss key location with another key in Level 4 hopefully fixing the running out of keys problem. Also put the wooden sword on the origin screen,
    Last edited by Love For Fire; 12-24-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Quote Originally Posted by Love For Fire View Post

As for Lv2, I've played New Quest, but not following what you're saying about the power curve idea.
    The difference between a power-curve quest like New Quest and a Zelda NES quest is that on the NES, you were limited to what type of enemies you could have at a time in a dungeon, mostly due to memory restraints.

A power-curve quest like New Quest starts with the weaker enemies like Red Darknuts and works its way up to Blue Wizzrobes and other custom enemies, generally making them show up by their power and difficulty.

A Zelda-style NES quest has set enemy groups in their quests. Most people are ignoring bosses and making 9 a megamix, but generally, the three enemy groups from the NES are:

Anywhere: Keese, Gel, Zol
    1. Goriya, Rope, Stalfos
    2. Darknut, Gibdo, Pols Voice
    3. Vire, Like-Like, Wizzrobe

Generally, you have the everywhere enemies, then 2-3 types of enemies that generally appear in the dungeon. If you're breaking it down for the 1st Quest, Level 1, 2, and 7 use the Goriya Enemy Group; 3, 5, and 8 use the Darknut enemy group; and 4, 6, and 9 use the Wizzrobe enemy group. If you're breaking down the 2nd Quest, 1, 3, and 8 use the Goriya enemy group; 2, 4, and 7 use the Darknut enemy group, and 5, 6, and 9 use the Wizzrobe enemy group.

You will probably not be graded so harshly on having different types of bosses and megamixing 9. That would probably be considered a quest upgrade.

Also, "colors" of the enemy are not restricted either.

Also, if you kept the NES specs in mind, making a new enemy group (like Stalfos, Ghini, and Gibdos, which theme fit) probably won't hurt you as well, as long as you keep memory limitations in mind. Outside of Ghinis, I wouldn't advise using any other OW enemy in the underworld.

Hope this helps. I've been posting this and most people don't understand how this works or the memory limitations of the NES sad to say. Hopefully this gives a better explanation.

-James

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    On a separate note, you will get keylocked in 5 after you get the Wand. You might want to do something about that.

Edit: Another bug for you LFF. After you kill the Like-Likes east of the arrow room, the blocks do not push to open the shutter.

Edit 2: Keylocked at least twice in 6, Longbow :: scratches head ::

Edit 3: Through 6, one room I can't get to, seems to be walled on one side by blocks, other walls don't bomb or walk through, screen north and west of the "Secrets where Fairies Don't Live" clue.

-James
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-24-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Octorok
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.45%
    Ok now I see what you are talking about with the enemy sets. I did sacrifice some authenticity to make the 2nd half of the game interesting. (Enemy sets, puzzles, new upgraded items)

Level 5 room east of like likes:
    Spoiler: show
    Push the block to the right to match the other side

You should be able to get the Longbow first without getting key locked. I'll look more into this to see if there are routes that make it possible. To get to the room you are missing, bomb the right wall of the feed the goriya room. If you are finished with the level you don't need to go back for this it's a hint about the boss of the level.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Some notes:

Lv. 8: Upgraded Wand I can live with. Mirror Shield and Mirrorrobes, not so much. Mirror Shield kinda destroys Zelda difficulty and I don't think it has a place in NES style quests.

Edit: Never mind for the Magic Key. Thank you Gleeok for playing tips for that one!

Lv. 9: Room between the Rope Gibdos on the top row where you fight Goriyas: Push a block, door or stair does not appear.
    Leave Life or Money Room: If you come in from the south you have the potential to be stuck
    Zelda Room: No Zelda guy, no flags to end the game.

-James
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-25-2013 at 02:44 AM.

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Thread Information