Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.73%
    Thanks for the feedback, justin.

The one with the darknuts in the tight space originally had more darknuts than it does, but it was just too hard. I'm not sure if you have the old version. The latest version has 4 in there.
    Spoiler: show
    It is a trap room, one which you should avoid at all costs, though.

The other one, with the goriyas and darknuts, is one you can just continue past if you want. However, you can whittle them down by stunning goriyas with your boomerang, and using the blocks as shilelds as you kill the darknuts, before going back to work with the goriyas. (Note that this has the "ringleader" attribute set on the first enemy (a goriya, as you'd know by the key he carries the first time you're there) so you may very well get out without killing half of them at all). You can also get offset from the goriyas to avoid their boomerangs. Although it's not a necessary room to pass through, it is one that you can use to build up your skills.
    Spoiler: show
    The only reason to beat those guys is if you somehow ran out of bombs, which you should have plenty of since both ways leading into the room have bombs given to you, as a sort of hint. Also, if you beat them all, it does give you the opportunity to take a passageway, which saves you a lot of backtracking.

Perhaps I should take away a couple of enemies there.

The gimmick of level 2 is that if it's hard, you're going the wrong way. I could tweak the enemies a bit, perhaps, though. You may need a way to farm hearts through that stretch, as it's deliberately a hard stretch.
    Last edited by Imzogelmo; 11-25-2013 at 11:57 PM.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%
    Voting is now open for this quest. Vote for as many categories as you please, but be sure to vote before tax day!

Also, please post in this thread stating which categories you selected and explaining why you picked those categories.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Though Lv. 1:

1. Might be a bit "too" grindy to start. Boomerang, Arrow, Bait, to the tune of about 160 Rupees. This is worse than Chris's quest in beta. You might want to reconsider this.
    2. Lose the Darknuts in 1. No real reason for them. Ropes do the job much better, and you won't get raped on NES authenticity.
    3. The room with a Bubble, Keese, and Goriya: Bubble is not on the top of the list, making it disappear.
    4. Yes, this quest gets personal in the beginning. Hard and brutal.

Got the Candle, now onto OW exploration.

Edit: Found 3 before 2, lawlz.
    Edit 2: BUG, 2 screens north and 1 screen west of HC in 1st Quest (bomb hole by the ocean): Reappearing position not set.
    Edit 3: lawlz, found Lv. 8. Totally unexpected.

-James
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-25-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Octorok
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.45%
    You found level 3 before 2.. and I never found level 3 lol. 1,2, 4 and I think 8 or 9.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    OK, 2 is too hard. I can't seem to get full life anywhere, the "bombchu Dodongos" seem to nail me every time no matter how I move, and the Darknuts in the tight quarters seem to blow me apart. Also, there's way too much exploration with the enemy strength to stay alive.

Here are a few suggestions:

1. This is an enemy editor exercise, right? Take the Darknuts out of 1, if you're bringing them into 2 without the White Sword make a WEAKER version that takes 1-2 hits to kill, and does 1/2 Heart. Staying alive in an exploration dungeon is critical.
    2. Watch your enemy counts: Generally the NES limited to 8 enemies, keep that in mind.
    3. If there is an item there that leads to the White Sword or if I missed the White Sword (checked the entire OW with bombs and candle), please let me know.
    4. You can use enemies as deterrents to make people follow the path if they need to get the item to get the White Sword.

Hope this helps!

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.73%
    @Love For Fire , I did add a hint for level 3 since you played, so that could help a little bit. Also, you can actually beat 3 before 2 if you want, so don't be afraid to go off-order.
    @Nightmare You didn't miss it--The item in level 2 (or level 3) is needed to get the White Sword.

I thought I had uploaded a fix to the missing return point at the HC, so I may need to re-upload the quest.

The darknuts in tight quarters are supposed to be the kind of "enemies as deterrents" that you mentioned; i.e., if you are getting slaughtered by Darknuts in a tight room (a nearly impossible situation at that point), then you went the wrong way. Even so, I should probably dial it back a bit.

I appreciate the suggestions on the difficulty and authenticity. I will let you get a bit further and I'll make some changes to address those.
    Last edited by Imzogelmo; 12-25-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Quote Originally Posted by Imzogelmo View Post
    @Love For Fire , I did add a hint for level 3 since you played, so that could help a little bit. Also, you can actually beat 3 before 2 if you want, so don't be afraid to go off-order.
    @Nightmare You didn't miss it--The item in level 2 (or level 3) is needed to get the White Sword.

I thought I had uploaded a fix to the missing return point at the HC, so I may need to re-upload the quest.

The darknuts in tight quarters are supposed to be the kind of "enemies as deterrents" that you mentioned; i.e., if you are getting slaughtered by Darknuts in a tight room (a nearly impossible situation at that point), then you went the wrong way. Even so, I should probably dial it back a bit.

I appreciate the suggestions on the difficulty and authenticity. I will let you get a bit further and I'll make some changes to address those.
    Fix 2 and I'll get back on it.

-james

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.73%
    OK, will do, but not today. I have to work on Christmas tonight. Ugh!

Tomorrow looks good for it though. :)

EDIT: If the version you have has a password, then it's not the latest version. I took the password off on the current one.
    Last edited by Imzogelmo; 12-25-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Found the White Sword, but yes, the critical path needs to be definitely changed. Use weaker enemies as lures and stronger enemies as deterrents.

Edit: Screen west of Lv. 3 1st Quest, and 1 screen east and 2 screens south of Lv. 1 1st Quest: Black caves, no stairs.

BTW, also think you should just switch Lv. 3 with Lv. 2 honestly.

Edit 2: THANK YOU for not being a total dickhead with the DRC's.

Edit 3: Just finished 3. MUCH easier than 2, should switch levels definitely.

Edit 4: You got some difficulty going for you in Lv. 4 bub! Ow on the Blue Darknuts without the Blue Ring! Still took you down though, ha! lol

Edit 5: Critical Bug. After I take the Whistle->Stairs early, I get eventually to a room with two blocks. I push the block and nothing appears. If this is the Ladder, I'm fucked.

-James
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-25-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.73%
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Found the White Sword, but yes, the critical path needs to be definitely changed. Use weaker enemies as lures and stronger enemies as deterrents.

Edit: Screen west of Lv. 3 1st Quest, and 1 screen east and 2 screens south of Lv. 1 1st Quest: Black caves, no stairs.

BTW, also think you should just switch Lv. 3 with Lv. 2 honestly.

Edit 2: THANK YOU for not being a total dickhead with the DRC's.

Edit 3: Just finished 3. MUCH easier than 2, should switch levels definitely.

Edit 4: You got some difficulty going for you in Lv. 4 bub! Ow on the Blue Darknuts without the Blue Ring! Still took you down though, ha! lol

Edit 5: Critical Bug. After I take the Whistle->Stairs early, I get eventually to a room with two blocks. I push the block and nothing appears. If this is the Ladder, I'm fucked.

-James
    I actually had strongly considered switching 2 and 3 when making the quest. I'll have to see what ramifications (ie adjustments) that would cause, but since you've said it and I had already considered it, I think that it's probably something I will do. (I had intended level 2 to be a sort of separate-the-men-from-the-boys level, obviously, but perhaps a bit too much too soon).

Also, your edit 5... which level is this in? I don't think you're at the level with the ladder yet... I am extremely mean and tease-y with the levels making you want that particular item, though. :)

Per DRCs, I always hated those, and really, I don't want to punish you for exploring. I can't remember exactly how many, I think maybe 6 or so in the whole quest.

Getting ready to make some adjustments.

Thread Information