Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.37%

[5th Quest Entry] Imzogelmo

I'm not a fan of hand-holding. I'm more of an old-school "make them search for it" kind of guy. Excessive or overly-explicit hints are not my style. In fact, that would not fit in with the original quests anyway. The original game really wanted you to bomb every wall, burn every bush, and push every rock, and I like it that way.

My goals in dungeons: Make people think. Challenge their assumptions. Provide a unique experience. Progressively get harder, but allow some non-linear play also. With those goals in mind, I set about to make this quest. I made a quest that I'd like to see (and I'm a bit esoteric in that way: old-school exploration+challenge meets modern flexibility in secrets, but with minimal new tiles, etc.). If I had a tile-artist, it would be a little better (you'll see what I mean) but overall I'm very pleased with what I've made.

Specific info: There is one new sound effect. None have been changed, but this is a new event that needed a sound. Not a major change, but something worth pointing out. There is also one small script in the game, used merely to prevent a potentially nasty sequence break.

I hope I followed the rules as closely as I thought I did, and, almost as importantly, I hope it is enjoyable. (Also, Puzzle-award, I'm gunning for you!)

Here's my quest entry for the 5th quest contest (updated 2/7/14):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_i...it?usp=sharing(Click File, Download)

Please post any bugs when they are found so I can correct them. Also, feedback, good or bad, is welcomed. Thanks.

Having said all the above, here are some hints so you can get to the new stuff:
    Spoiler: show
    Level 1 is in the southwest corner of the map. You don't need anything but your sword to go there, but a boomerang can be bought and may help.

Spoiler: show
    Level 2 is under an Armos. I'll leave it at that for now.

NOTE: Links updated Nov. 12 2013 2:14 PM Central. Tweaked a couple of rooms in level 9, also found a few stray enemy->secret flags that were not supposed to be there. Any statues that don't shoot now are merely decorative. Don't feed Pols Voice after midnight.

Updated 11/15/13. Added some extra hints, also removed some stray warps (were unused, so not game-effecting). Current version also is unpassworded.

Updated 2/7/14. Level 4 wall and floor tile oops. Thanks justin1.
    Last edited by Imzogelmo; 02-07-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Thread Information