Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.32%

[5th Quest Entry] Scootaloo

Hello friends, the thread title should be self explanatory enough.

Scootaloo's 5th Quest Entry

(Grab from this link instead of the one in the main thread, that one will be invalid now. You don't have to start over, though, if you already started- this just fixes a couple bugs and balances out some mean things.)

Some special things to note:

Some of the Levels...aren't exactly themed in terms of shape. I mean, you may have to use your imagination a bit. Level 1 definitely looks like a pot. Level 2 kind of looks like the Batman Symbol if you turn your head at a right angle.

I've made some of Z1's less spectacular items and weapons a lot more helpful. It's up to you to figure out which ones they are. One of the scripts in this quest focuses on one of them.

There is no such thing as pointless advice from the old ladies. No more of this stupid "This ain't enough" or "Boy, you're rich" crap. I'm not out to punish the player for wanting a hint. That, to me, does not make anything more difficult- just frustrating.

I hope you all enjoy.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.59%
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules
    Note that you are free to rearrange secret entrances, item locations, and cave types to your liking, but any entrances that are NOT secrets must remain in the same place, though of course they don't have to LEAD to the same place.
    @Scootaloo I don't mind the new sprites (so far) but removing non-secret cave entrances is clearly in violation of the stated rules.

A discussion on this just happened and that portion of the rules is going to be ganked. It's all good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.32%
    Well, that's a relief. I wasn't really sure what to do with some of the earlier caves, and I was thinking, "You know, the Z1 overworld already has a bunch of caves, who'll miss a couple?"

As for different sprites- some are from Zelda 2, others are from the new default set in 2.5 (the white sword sprite I think is the only actual custom sprite done by me). Most of the items (and original enemies) have been left intact, at least. I just wanted it to have a bit of a personal touch without it being completely different.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    22.23%
    One bug to report - 1W1S of the top-left corner (where the letter is in the second quest) - one of the boulders is push-able, but no stairway appears.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%
    Voting is now open for this quest. Vote for as many categories as you please, but be sure to vote before tax day!

Also, please post in this thread stating which categories you selected and explaining why you picked those categories.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.2%
    Found 4 overworld HCs, finished all levels up to (and including) 6, still have no clue what the significance is regarding all the 'empty' caves in the overworld. Found Level 8 but not Level 7.

A couple bugs:

In the graveyard, a pushable tombstone doesn't play the 'secret' chime.

In Level 1: one of the Tile Warps is wrong: A leads to B, B leads to A, C leads to D, D leads to 'A' (not C). (I forget the exact screens, and it is still possible to complete the level, but I doubt this was deliberate.)

In a couple places, a pushable block yields nothing (but an off-color tile).

Also, a staircase appears where it should probably be a cave (on the waterfront, at the bottom of the screen).

EDIT: Found Level 7.
    Last edited by Coyotek4; 01-06-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.2%
    Well, I got a lot of swag, but I'm completely stymied as to how to complete Level 7. I'm open to hints now.

Gel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.9%
    Well, I finished this one, and I found the problem in dungeon 7 as mentioned above. Checking other websites, I found that the quest has been updated, but the link in this thread wasn't (It points to the old version where dungeon 7 couldn't be finished). Fortunately for scootaloo, I found the update, and proceeded to finish the quest.

The quest, as a whole, is a fairly good one, though nothing I haven't seen before in any of the new creatures, with the exception of the ones that cause a reason for the cross. There was only one major bug that I encountered in the updated map: In level 9, I couldn't return from the silver arrows. The pushable block used to get into the room from the one south of it couldn't be pushed from the other side. I was out of bombs at that point, so if there is a bombable wall in the arrow screen, I couldn't find it. Anyway, that forced a quit-continue to finish the quest.
    The update's music was interesting- the overworld music has got a good adventuring feel, but I thought the level 9 music was way too light.
    I don't know if it was intentional, but I didn't need one of the keys in level 8- In fact, I had already explored both sides of one of the locked doors before I found the key for it (Other keys that I had found could have been used on that door, bu I chose other paths). As a result, I found Ganon very quickly (of course, with no silver arrows yet, I didn't go in. I would suggest putting in a second locked door in the Ganon-path, so that even if a player has that extra key, he cannot get to gannon without the magic key (or, of course, buying an extra one from a shop).
    One other problem was that there are a few creatures with upgrades (Zol, Pol's Voice) where the upgrade doesn't look any different- though in the case of the Pol's Voice, the upgraded ones move faster. I think some distinction should have been made- particularly when immunities are changed.

So, with the contest in it late stages, I don't have much more to say here, so I'll just give my rating- 3.42 / 5.

Thread Information