1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30.07%
    How to find the ladder

Spoiler: show
    The ladder is behind the triforce room in Level 6 and make sure you have 50 rupees when you go to that room. There was a trick like that in the second quest and I thought I'd use it in my quest.
    Last edited by MischaPetya; 01-13-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Yeah, wouldn't have thought of that, especially considering I've visited all the rooms, but you do have the wrong level. That was Level 4, not Level 6.

Edit: Found it, now to 7 with your miserable Stalfos 3.

Edit 2: Beat 7. Not really liking the Fire Zols and Gels, they unlike the other enemies have no basis in a Zelda game.

Edit 3: Clue on the Wand in 7? The Blue Pols Voice in 8 are destroying me. (and the map as well)

-James
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-23-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Keese
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30.07%
    How to find the wand and map
    in Level 8

to find the wand
    1. From the entrance go up two screens push the left block take the passageway
    2. Go left than up than take another passageway
    3. Go down than left though the wall
    4. Go up and kill the enemies collect the key than push the block to get the wand

to find the map
    1. From the entrance go up
    2. Go left and keep following doors until you get to a passageway
    3 go through passage way bomb down kill enemies
    Last edited by MischaPetya; 01-13-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Is the Wand off the map?

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt

Keese
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30.07%
    Last edited by MischaPetya; 01-13-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Is that 7 or 8? That color looks more like 8 than 7.

-James

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Through 8. BTW, the picture relates to Lv. 8 for everyone's info (thanks Mischa)

I'm going to say a few things about 8:

1. It feels very ROMhackish. Gibdos, Darknuts, Pols Voice moving at walking speed or more, doing massive damage. I don't know if there's much you can do about it, but it just feels more like MvC 2 and less Zelda. I'm able to handle it, but this could be serious problems for the average player.
    2. Make the Purple Darknuts ringleaders. It makes sense when you have one of them.
    3. You got a bug: Your Letter Used displays nothing. It should display a letter.

Level 9:
    1. One HUGE HUGE complaint: Why are we still doing the cheap statue shit in the 5th Quest that plagued the original James Quest and the 3rd Quest? We have an enemy editor to play around with and a lot of new creative tools, why do we have to resort to this? UGH! Not a big fan of this.
    2. Room west of entraince: Statues just for decoration?
    3. Couldn't find the Red Ring, but beat Ganon anyway. Ganon room is pretty cheap.

Your grades:

Difficulty: 98/100
    Feels a bit ROMhack’ish in Lv. 8
    6 can be brutal

NES Authenticity: 85/100
    Fire Zols and Gels are not in any Zelda game.
    Colors are off for enemy groups, but quest designer generally follows some sort of enemy groups.

Fun Factor: 80/100
    Firerobes can be cheap.
    Statues in Lv. 9 and Ganon room on the cheap side, might want to do something to promote more skill than follow the James Quest original route.

Final Score: 86.67/100
    End could be designed a bit better and less cheap, 8 feels like a ROMhack. Still, solid. Not without its problems though.
    -James
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-09-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    22.23%
    Just finished this quest. Note/disclaimer - I played the version that was updated to PureZC on Dec 22.

Below is my review:

Holy cow are these dungeons intricate. I know that we stopped voting for categories and whatnot, but assuming there will still be a final review for all of the quest entries, this quest should get recognized for the complexity of its dungeons.

Assuming you can dodge red wizzrobes, if you don't want to grind rupees, you can ignore the old man who instructs you to get a magic shield before level 1. After you finish level 1, having fought several rooms of ropes, you should likely have sufficient rupees.

In level 1 you'll start to see some of the complexity I mentioned. There are several keys to collect and multiple stairway passages. There are several rooms that, like the room directly above the whistle's room in the second quest, only allow north-south movement or east-west movement. Much of the dungeon complexity is due to the location of these rooms. Levels 2-6 will feature much of the same, but increasing in complexity.

I like the 4-child Patra as the level 1 boss (though from reading the earlier posts, thank you for disabling that room's stone statues!)

I like how you mixed the enemy groups from the Zelda 1 defaults. If I remember correctly, your groupings are roughly as follows:

Levels 1, 5, 6, 9 - wizzrobes, ropes, vires
    Levels 2, 4, 7 - goriyas, stalfos, like-likes
    Levels 3, 8 - gibdos, pols voice, darknuts

On the way to level 2, I'm not really a fan of forcing the player to explore with only the blue candle, as I feel it can be a tedious process. Why not give the red candle in level 1? If you're worried that level 8 gets uncovered too early, I think you've hidden it well enough that the risk is minimal. Plus, level 8 is on the complete opposite side of the world as level 2 (also, exploring in level 8 too early will very likely get you killed). Placing the wand in level 7 would be appropriate instead of the red candle.

I think you should get rid of the messages "dodongo dislikes smoke", "digdogger hates certain kind of sound", etc. I know they were used in the fourth quest, but they basically function as empty rooms.

Levels 5 and 6 are, imo, the most difficult dungeons of this quest, both in terms of complexity and in terms of the enemy difficulty given the player's available equipment. I died several times during level 6, even with red potions. The bosses of those two dungeons, each with stone statues and bubbles, will test your endurance.

I see from earlier posts that your reasoning for hiding the ladder was meant to mimic the hiding of the raft in the second quest. While I can agree with your intentions (several quests hid some secrets behind the triforce), I'm not really a fan of how you implemented this feature. Unlike level 4 in the second quest, the rooms above the triforce are not on the map. And if you don't have the 50 rupees (assuming you don't want to surrender a HC), repeating the steps to the level 6 boss is much harder than level 4 in the second quest. (But hey, maybe that might be a steep enough price for players to willingly give up a HC).

Levels 7 and 8 tone things down a bit in terms of complexity. There aren't nearly as many north-south or east-west rooms as levels 1-6. But by no means do I mean that they are pushovers; they're still big dungeons with several keys to collect. Now the boss key functions as a big key - it doesn't only grant access to the boss. Level 8 contains a different type of complexity in that there are a lot of one-way permanent shutters. The small keys in level 8 have potential to serve as decoys from the wand and book.

I didn't get hit by any of the new green like-likes, so I must ask what distinguished them from the standard like-likes. They both take 3 magic sword hits. Do the green ones hit harder?

While there may have been a slight decrease in complexity in levels 7-8, the final dungeon's complexity wraps up the quest appropriately. The enemy difficulty picks up nicely as well, featuring red bubbles that charge at you as well as two endurance-testing Gohma battles. I was a bit puzzled that the maroon-colored firerobes made flames that were blockable by the shield; since they require the same number of hits and deal the same damage as the firerobes in level 6, they're technically easier enemies (though in level 9, usually there are other strong enemies accompanying the firerobes).

Overall, this is a very solid quest and a strong contest competitor. I can't quite say that this is my favorite of the 5th quest entries, but it certainly deserves consideration as one of the better competitors. The dungeon complexity is easily the highlight of this quest, and it's so good that it could carry the quest. Well done.

Keese
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30.07%
    Thank you to everyone who played the quest so far. There is a new version of the quest out now with some changes.

- All the fire based enemies have been removed and been replaced with other new enemies.
    - Some of the hints have been changed and moved around.
    - The shop prices have been changed.
    - Ganon room has four statues instead of twelve.
    - Dungeon 2 is a little different but 95% the same.

Everything else is the same

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.04%
    just started this one. through lvl4. so far it is my new favourite, i hope it keeps up...

lvl3 - the 2nd boss battle for the last key to the triforce was brilliant

Thread Information