Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.87%

[5th Quest Entry] BigJoe

I am releasing this here before I submit it to the thread, hoping to get some feedback.

Some details about the quest:

Don't let the difficulty of Level 1 fool you. The quest is very difficult. I figured that for a quest to be numbered 5, it shouldn't slack in this regard. A minimal equipment run is probably not a good idea, you'll want to find items as early as you can get them.

The levels are large. I guess I felt it necessary to mention this.

UPDATED:

Original Entry

-The original final version of the entry.

Current Version

-The current version of the entry. Virtually identical but has bug fixes and new soundtrack.

Special Edition

-A Special Edition of the quest released at PureZC. Has some nifty new additions. Doesn't count as actual entry.
    Last edited by bigjoe; 10-18-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%
    Fool me? Fire shooters and seemingly inaccessible rooms... if you think that your first dungeon is easy then the rest of the quest is going to be like pulling teeth!

Well... combat's not that bad (I tend to exaggerate), but the first level is quite engaging. I'll have to give it another try later.

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.87%
    I am 120% open to modifying the difficulty if the majority find it too hard. As much as I'd like to top 3rd and 4th in terms of difficulty, I don't want to have an experience that is too stressful or not enjoyable. I guess I'll just have to hope enough people play and give feedback in the short amount of time before the final deadline. That being said, I think that with the proper equipment and skill, the quest is manageable. But I can't speak for someone who doesn't know where everything is. The only person who has played a significant portion of the quest is Nightmare, and he's a powerhouse in terms of quest playing skill.
    Last edited by bigjoe; 10-27-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Lv. 7: Two creepy crawlies, non-critical:
    1. Room above where you bomb going up on the way to the Map Room: Block with no stairs.
    2. Two block room on top: Push, no stairs.

BTW, looks like someone couldn't beat their own level for Level 7. I think good call in making this easier: It was pretty absurd on the early versions I tested.

Onto 8.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Apologize for the double post here, but BigJoe, you've been around Zelda Classic since the beginning, so I'm going to be tough on you for this one. You have Green Wizzrobes and Brown Wizzrobes at 4 hits a shot, and Blue Wizzrobes at 3 hits a shot, and you put Red Bubbles with no way to free your sword except for potion in Level 9. You out of all people should know that Wizzrobes are affected by only swords and bombs, and I only have 12 bombs at the beginning of 9. Were you punch drunk making this level? Did you test it with cheats on only and not play it otherwise? This is quite the mistake you made in your level design and there's not a good wqy to rectify it: Either it's well hidden or not there. not good.

You got a few days, you might want to take Lv. 9 for a redesign.

BTW, your quest turns into Kaizo Zelda as of Level 8.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.87%
    I managed to beat both Level 8 and 9 without cheats, but I can't say that I didn't die at least twice in each level. If you're looking for blue bubbles, walk through wall downward right of the "triforce" room. However, since you express concern about the difficulty, I will tweak it.

Most of the difficult fights can be avoided if you have enough keys, or have the magic key.

EDIT: Made some modifications to Level 9 and decreased the damage and speed of L2 wall masters in Level 8.

Tell me if this is better.
    Last edited by bigjoe; 10-29-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Wall Masters looking better so far.

(placeholder for Lv. 9 evaluation)

-James

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Wall Masters looking better so far.

2 bugs possibly:

1. Brown Wizzrobe room with 2 statues: Are the statues just there for decoration?
    2. Room 17: Can't seem to access the stairs (upper-right corner area). I'm locked in by blocks, and when I try to blow the wall open where the Green Wizzrobes are, nothing happens.

Back to this later tonight.

-James

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.87%
    1. Fixed
    2. The stairs can only be accessed once you're on the other side of those blocks. There is a warp that leads there somewhere else.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    Done. 15 deaths and too many retries, for the reason I'll list below:

1. You might want to adjust the number of strong Like-Likes in certain areas. They for some reason have a bad tendency to skip the Boomerang and eat your shield. It made for a very frustrating Lv. 9 experience.
    2. Ganon takes WAY too many hits. 8 is enough. God forbid you don't find the Red Ring.

OK, now for your grading:

Difficulty: 95/100
    VERY hard, but passable. Might be a little too difficult in some spots. I suggest playtesting without cheats more to get a better feel before the deadline.

NES Authenticity: 95/100.
    Very high marks here. True to the NES with new enemies.

Fun Factor: 70/100
    Lv. 9 was a very frustrating experience. The Like-Like rooms were just ridiculous, and led for an infinite number of resets. I got a headache from the stress and the heart-pounding, and as far as classic games go, thta's very hard to do to me. I might sound a little rough here, but sacrificing like 5 NES authenticity points to break enemy groups for the final and do an enemy review might be a much better idea for Level 9. It's more fun and will leave a better experience with the player. Hell, the 3rd did it and still won.

Overall score: 86.67/100

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Thread Information