User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nintendo tries to shut down Mario fan game. Is Zelda Classic next?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    83.43%
    I go through the same contradictions every time we have this discussion people:
    There are some valid points, and mostly no reality to what the articles are about.

Key points:
    A)I had pictures of people in suspenders that are from the early 1900's, or so it seems.
    B)There is nothing copyrightable about a person going in a direction and jumping, or any other graphical representation thereof.
    C)There is also nothing copywritable about any of the other characters in the game, since they are all generic pixelated graphical representations of other beings in REAL LIFE.
    i)little furry creatures
    ii)turtles and reptiles
    iii)castles, flagpoles, bricks, flowers, fireworks, etc. etc. etc. yada bla bla blah.

And D: THE REAL KICKER TO THIS ARTICLES DEBUNKERY)

"Which would allow Full Screen Mario, and lots of projects like it, to reimagine old video games for a new generation, without facing legal threats from incumbents like Nintendo."
    Taken straight from the article...
    The word incumbents used in reference to Nintendo....
    ...not that they were and are innovators and leaders in the home computer console gaming system industry, not that they helped bring entertainment to people for years and years, developed and distributed fun products and loving character plots, etc.. now the term "incumbents" is being attached to describe Nintendo, whereas in reality NOBODY WOULD'VE EVER EVEN HEARD OF SMB in the first place without those guys, therefor the reality of that situation is that we are in fact the exact opposite of "incumbent" when it comes to you other people's realization of the entity known as Super Mario.

Thanks for your time. Have a nice day!

Post Script: FSM SUX!

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.86%
    I can seem to find any information about this elsewhere. The article itself links to a previous one the author wrote two hours earlier where he said (paraphrased) "gee this is a great game, I hope Nintendo doesn't shut it down."

I see nothing about a lawsuit, Nintendo has asked for the content to be removed. The original article is mostly bitching about copyright law. The author apparently thinks everyone should be making their own Mario games. The bottom line is Nintendo owns the Intellectual Property, and has the right to ask such content to be removed. Maybe it was the donations, or maybe Nintendo wants to do something similar. Who knows? We've been lucky with ZC, but it's still possible for the same to happen, even if it may be unlikely.

(P.S. - a note to the article author, smartphone console emulators ARE a thing already.)
    <- Play Triforce Quest!

"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love. So If one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
    -Belldandy, Oh My Goddess!

"Who cares if I'm a star up here?" - Minmei, Robotech
    "You bookahs worry too much about external appearances. It's what's inside your skull that counts." - Taimi, Guild Wars 2

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    83.43%
    Not only that, but when I did my initial side-scrolling script for ZC, I made a Mario lvl 1-1 mimick with it, and then told some people that I was going to make a Mario level randomizer, eventually.
    Someone heard my idea and beat me to it, but according to PTO law, I still own the copyright to it anyway, because it's MY intellectual property since I am the originator of the concept.
    Since I was appointed C.E.O. of Nintendo, that idea, concept, and Intellectual Property already belongs to Nintendo.
    I wrote most of the scripts already, and described to the people how it would be a successful mario level randomizer by way of making sure there would always be a jumpable gap, pipe, secret brick, etc. to carry on with the level.
    I'm not going to spend any time looking at what this FSM does, but I can imagine it does just that.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.09%
    The source code for ZC is completely clean - they can't claim IP over things like the typed word 'Octorock', though distributed resources are obviously used without permission. If they haven't cared much about it in the height of it's popularity it's unlikely they will feel threatened at all by it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy_Balsac View Post
    It might be because he was collecting donations specifically for the development of the software.
    Idea: The "Church of ZC". We could accept donations and they would be tax-free.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.84%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    ...I think this guy got shut down for several reasons, the three biggest being donations, open-source code (emphasis mine), and very limited 'extra content'...
    I doubt that open source is that big of a reason, as Super Mario War and Mari0 exist, both being open source, and neither have been directly "attacked" by Nintendo.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.92%
    Quote Originally Posted by Danfun64 View Post
    I doubt that open source is that big of a reason, as Super Mario War and Mari0 exist, both being open source, and neither have been directly "attacked" by Nintendo.
    It might make more sense if it were a newer game or it used an engine that Nintendo still uses to this day. But I don't think either applies here, so I gotta agree. The donations are likely the biggest reason, the limited extra content doesn't help, though there are enough places, legal or not, that you can play SMB for free on the net that I doubt it was a major concern for that specific reason.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.92%
    The site has just been taken down. The GitHub repo is still up though.

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    48.89%
    Please do not shut down. Zelda Classic. I like making Zelda fan made Games. Well i am working on it.

It is fun. Its free and awesome. So many fans love Zelda Classic, because they can experince making there own fan made zelda games. That in itself is amazing and cool.

Thread Information