Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.07%

Skateboarding

I recently took up skateboarding as a means of transportation. Since I lost my car and my bike was stolen my sister's boyfriend gave me a skateboard to use to get from place to place. Now, I am 27 and I had literally never used a skateboard before. My mom bought me one once for my birthday. I must have been like 10 and I don't think I even tried to get on that thing. I knew it would be difficult. I mean my balance isn't exceptional or anything but I didn't know my ankles would be so fucking sore. Also it takes a lot out of you, almost as bad as jogging. That is probably due to my faltering every bit of the way and my subpar fitness. Also I ride goofy and am right-handed so I am pretty sure I am doing it wrong.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    24.78%
    Longboards cruise nicely and require a little less struggle to keep up to speed. If you have the cash you should look into it. Don't try to barrel down hills wth it... you need to cut back and forth to keep your speed down.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.07%
    Yeah, I don't have the money. I bet a long board would make things a lot easier. Unless I find a great CL deal then this board is it for awhile.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.19%
    Right-handers riding goofy is not that odd, nor is lefties riding regular. Handedness is only a predictor of likely footedness. I write righty 'cause they made me in school (and it's easier dealing with notebooks and righty platform desks) but do most other things sinister including riding goofy. That is to say, I was a betty and can manage to stay upright on a board without eating pavement or shore and not much else.

About the ankles.., try some yoga. Or at least look into some good hip through ankle stretches for athletes like runners/bicyclists. Epsom salts in a warm bath/foot bath can really help with the joint and muscle discomfort.
    "The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius."

Glenn the Great: I just think I'd be happier as a pretty lesbian girl.

"Live and Let Live" is an excellent, tree-hugging philosophy, but it doesn't do much when the ones you refuse to kill are dragging you down with them.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.07%
    I've been riding regular until my left foot gets sore the I go back to goofy. I figure since it feels more natural using my right on the tail to balance the board on the back wheels(on carpet) I should learn to ride regular. I can coast and push pretty good regular but turning and adjusting my footing while moving is really difficult.

Fell for the first time last night. Trying to take off regular. Fell on my hand and ass. Beside a little road burn I wasn't really hurt. Not as bad as the board smacking the side of my shin while I tried an ollie in my living room.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.19%
    Much like getting to Carnegie Hall, practice, practice, practice. Even muscles need practice. Ambidextrous practice has a lot of benefits even if you do not utilize your off stance as often.

I have not been on a board in quite a while but for in-line skating, I am fond of wrist supports. Skinned elbows and knees are not a big deal but the wrists need extra protection.
    "The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius."

Glenn the Great: I just think I'd be happier as a pretty lesbian girl.

"Live and Let Live" is an excellent, tree-hugging philosophy, but it doesn't do much when the ones you refuse to kill are dragging you down with them.

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.69%
    I used to skateboard everywhere a long time ago, hell I don't even remember the last time I used one, but damn it was a fun way to get around.
    Then I got me a motorized scooter that was more fun, seriously.

Though I remember one time through I snapped my ankle trying to jump over a bench <.<
    That was an epic fail landed all crazy and ended up with a broken ankle.

Thread Information