Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%

Brave New World

The most popular idea in our poll.i went ahead and posted 5th first because I have no idea how to begin to say what should be allowed/disallowed for this.

Basically the idea is to create an overworld with new graphics that will be used as a base for future quest contest a la 3rd, 4th, and fifth but more liberal and more focused on modern ZC quest style.

Obviously it can't just be, "do whatever and we'll pick the best." That would end up a mess. Like i said in the other topic I think it should be very open with distinct areas. Something easy to work with.

All you people who voted for this its time to chime in because this is going to take more work to plan than 5th Quest.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Before we start actually building a quest, we need to decide on the graphics. Personally, I think we should build a new graphics set based off the Gameboy Set. Since the Pure Tileset and its descendant Dance of Radiance set are based on the SNES appearance, and since Minish Cap is too difficult to handle, the use of a Gameboy style set will give the game a fresh and unique look while remaining easy to use. Also, since many of the gameboy tiles use a limited number of colors, it is a smaller leap from 'classic' than a completely unique tileset would be.

Newfirst sort of did this ages ago (like, before I joined in 2002), but I think we need to do a little spritework to make it compatible with newer tools and the more fluid layout of ZC 2.5.

As for the quest itself, are we limiting ourselves to a single overworld? Or perhaps we could hold a contest and the four best overworlds would get sewn together (Leaving overworld 1 to the south? You'll end up in the north of overworld 3).

But it's the middle of the night, and probably not the best time for me to be coming up with ideas. I have been known to make incredibly bad suggestions when deprived of REM sleep.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    95.41%
    Ugh, the gameboy graphics never appealed to me, and with EZGBZ out, they're getting way overused. That being said, it probably WOULD be the logical starting point, considering it's pretty straightforward, and a lot easier to use than Pure or DoR. That being said, I still have a soft spot for the Dance of Remembrance set (it's just so pretty), and it's used badly a LOT (especially the mountains), so maybe it would be nice to have a quest that is designed around that, so people can get a good example.

Or here's a random thought. Use ALL the tilesets! And Link travels around to different overworlds in different tilesets gathering items. Just kidding, there's not enough palettes in the game to pull that off.
    Please check out my current project, The Legend of Zelda: Trials of the Gods
    http://armageddongames.net/showthrea...ls-of-the-Gods
    Current release: V3.1 (Demo)

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Well we DO have a collection of talented spriters on this board, so if you like we could collaborate and build a new tileset from scratch (graphics and all). I would insist on something cel-shade-esque, though, to save on colors and ensure the widest range of compatibility between different art styles. Classic+, essentially.

Had a different idea about the overworlds, though. What about SEVEN overworlds? Okay, don't shoot me down yet, here me out.

We hold seven contests, one for each overworld. The first six overworlds are to be built using a specific theme from the produced tileset (which is of course step one in this process), and would only consist of HALF the space of a regular overworld map.

First Overworld: Forest

Second Overworld: Mountain

Third Overworld: Arctic

Fourth Overworld: Swamp

Fifth Overworld: Desert

Sixth Overworld: Nocturnal/Deep Forest

Finally, the last contest held would be for the 'center' overworld, which connects the other six.

Seventh Overworld: Ruins

Each overworld must abide by the following:
    • It must fit the theme of the contest in question
    • It must have EXACTLY two Heart Containers worth of pieces hidden across the map
    • It must have at least ten apparent entrances (structures, caves, etc). The contents of these entrances will be determined with a later contest.
    • Tool obstacles, like a hammer peg, must be located in places where a quest maker may easily remove them. That is, you cannot build layered or multi-combo structures to block paths.

Of course, all of this is moot before we settle on a graphic style. To do list goes like this:
    • Pick a Tileset
    • Host Contests for overworld/overworlds
    • Host Contests for dungeons
    • Host Contests for overworld interiors (based on tools found in dungeons)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    95.41%
    I like the idea for the overworld contests. Actually, I've even had a couple ideas for various areas.
    Please check out my current project, The Legend of Zelda: Trials of the Gods
    http://armageddongames.net/showthrea...ls-of-the-Gods
    Current release: V3.1 (Demo)

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42%
    Multiple Overworlds sounds like an interesting idea. I'd love to get on that contest. Already getting some ideas, depending on the tileset used.
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    *shoots @CJC

This is exactly the overambitious ideas that leave us with cancelled projects. That would be 3 full maps and something like 2 years worth of contests before we ever get an overworld. This idea may be better for a community quest (scaled down) or maybe later additions.

I think it would be better to stick with a one map one contest limit.

Speaking of graphics, I think it would be best to use a versatile tileset and EZGBZ isn't. Speaking as someone who has used it it can feel very limiting if you aren't specifically going for a pure GB style quest. I think tilesets that mix SNES, GB and others would be best. I have limited experience with tilesets. I have only used EZGBZ, Pure, and BS and I think BS feels almost as ancient as classic.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Spoiler: show
    Okay, the way I'm picturing this working:

1.) Construct a tileset and distribute it to the contestants. This will be a collaborative project across the forum, with an expert on combo and tile organization coordinating the construction of the quest file. Also during this stage, the creation of new scripted equipment will be incorporated into the tileset. After this point, no new scripted items will be allowed.

2.) Begin 'Overworld 1' contest. When a winning overworld is chosen, that version of the quest is archived for safe-keeping and distributed to contestants.

3.) Begin 'Overworld 2' contest. Contestants are REQUIRED to construct Overworld 2 within the quest file that contains Overworld 1 (which would be available for download at the top of the contest). Not building Overworld 2 within that quest file or modifying Overworld 1 are grounds for disqualification (IE, you'll need to start over and follow the rules!)

4.) Follow the same model as Step Three for the remaining Overworlds

5.) Custom Boss Contest: Scripting contests would be held to construct nine custom bosses. The bosses that will be constructed are, in order: Aquamentus, Dodongo, Manhandla, Gleeok [the Dragon], Digdogger, Moldorm, Patra, ----, and Ganon. Bosses can require tools to be defeated normally but MUST posses some secret means of being beaten with only the sword (albeit at great difficulty). Bosses must also be constructed as FFC scripts so that they may be placed on screens as dungeon builders choose. These scripts MAY reference contents in the Global Script, as the new quest file for each step of contest will be built on the winning submission from the previous contest.

6.) Dungeon Contest: One by one, nine contests will be held to build the best dungeons for the quest. These dungeons must fit the following requirements: contains at least one item, contains one piece of triforce, and contains one boss from the custom boss contest that has not already been utilized. As the quest progresses later dungeons MAY require a tool or tools from any of the previous dungeons, but do not HAVE to.

7.) Overworld Interiors Contest: The final set of contests before the quest is complete, the Overworld Interiors contests will decide what actually goes within the various buildings and caves that litter the overworlds. Submission also have some flexibility over the direction of the plot, though such additions will merely be that: additions to what is essentially the core plot of Zelda 1 (Zelda breaks triforce into eight pieces before being kidnapped by Ganon).

In total, that's 32 contests. I've chopped them into nice, small, digestible pieces to ensure that each contest does not consume a grand amount of time and moves the project forward.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Ninja'd! ...Okay, I suppose it doesn't HAVE to be as complex as all that, maybe this could be reserved for some other project after these bundle quests are released.
    Last edited by CJC; 08-02-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Okay, the first thing we need to do before anything else is decide on what kind of graphics we want this project to use. We can't build a quest without a unified combo setup, so let's have an informal poll:

What tileset do you think should be used for Brave New World?

1.) A gameboy derivative like the Comprehensive GameBoy Tileset or Newfirst

2.) A SNES derivative like Pure or Dance of Radiance

3.) A Classic derivative like Demo

4.) A mashup set utilizing tiles from options 1 to 3

5.) An AGN from-scratch original tileset

I vote 5, because honestly I think a community tileset would really help draw activity here, like it did when the Pure set was being constructed at PureZC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.43%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    What tileset do you think should be used for Brave New World?

1.) A gameboy derivative like the Comprehensive GameBoy Tileset or Newfirst

2.) A SNES derivative like Pure or Dance of Radiance

3.) A Classic derivative like Demo

4.) A mashup set utilizing tiles from options 1 to 3

5.) An AGN from-scratch original tileset
    5 seems like a good idea to me as well.
    I'm a monolith. With teeth.

Thread Information