40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Just cleared the 4th Quest. It didn't seem very NES like with its dungeons and didn't seem to warn players about the changes it generally made or have any rhyme or reason, plus the Moldorms were WAY overpowered (clocked the one in Lv. 6 at least over 500 HP, took a CANDLE to take it down!). It was OK, loathed the Overworld though.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.12%
    Moar progress:

Spoiler: show
    Finished Level 5 and completed level 6. The all I can say is that Level 6 is way too easy at this point in the quest, with the only attempts at making it harder being the use of cheap tricks like forcing you to get hit by Red Bubbles and use tons of arrows to defeat the Goriyas in the proceeding rooms or use a potion to regain your sword and the classic "Trap rooms" that send you back to the start of the dungeon. I thought this quest was going to get fairer than that .

My current equipment:
    • Magic Sword
    • Blue Ring
    • Magic Shield
    • Book
    • Raft
    • Ladder
    • Magic Boomerang
    • Bombs x16
    • Bow and Arrow
    • Blue Candle
    • Whistle
    • Red Potion
    • 13 Heart Containers.
    • Still 0 deaths.
    The Legend of Zelda: Zelda's Last Wish.
    Progress: 99% complete. (Overworld: 100%, Dungeons: 99% overall).
    ETA: Pending.
    Beta/Demo: Out now!

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Got to LV5 tonight.
    @CJC Still no Blue Ring. I've got rupees that are just burning my pocket now. Whaddya say guys, double-or-nothing: 3, 4, 5 and 6 no blue ring? Who's man enough to match me? Or will I be the QPC champion by TKO?

Gleeok LP's the 3rd quest:

(Yesterdays set)
    Part 1 - Level 1
    Part 2
    Part 3 - Level 2a
    Part 4 - Level 2b

(Today's Set)
    Part 5 - Level 3
    Part 6 - Level 4
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    Got to LV5 tonight.
    @CJC Still no Blue Ring. I've got rupees that are just burning my pocket now. Whaddya say guys, double-or-nothing: 3, 4, 5 and 6 no blue ring? Who's man enough to match me? Or will I be the QPC champion by TKO?

Over my dead body Gleeok you'll be champion. ;-)

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    I'd try that challenge too but I already bought the Blue Ring. I reached 255 while starting Level 3 and figured might as well so I am not collecting rupees for nothin'.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Man, give some of us human players a break with your NES Hard L33tZ0r skillz. Some of us didn't play games during that console generation (I didn't own a standard NES until the late nineties, and even then I only had six games for it).

Speaking of which, since people are trekking along so quickly, I think I'll post my pointers for the next two dungeons. This has NOTHING to do with my brain being made of Swiss cheese and the imminent threat of forgetting my pointers, I SWEAR.

Fifth Dungeon
    Remember I said you should be playing the whistle on every overworld screen? Did you remember to try it on the maze screens?
    The Fifth Dungeon is located in a staircase that is reveals only by playing the flute in the forest maze

Use the whistle until you find the island that held the Fourth Dungeon in First Quest. Here you will find... the Perscription Letter! Pick up a double potion at one of the medicine shops (I use the one where the letter is found in First Quest) and gather up at least an additional fifty rupees (maybe more, depending on your aim with the bow).
    Finally, make sure you've collected all four of the Heart Containers that can be found on the Overworld (the beach one doesn't count, since there's no way to get it until after it's no longer necessary). As hard as you try, though, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get the Magic Sword before this dungeon. Regrettable, as Dungeon five is...
    Darknut hell! At this point it is no longer practical to use bombs to fight these enemies, so you'll have to have learned to Dance with Darknuts (luring them around unwalkable combos so you can stab their sides) or properly utilize the Darknut Stab Exploit (luring them to a choke point and spamming your sword) to get through several of the rooms. If there room features a blue darknut with several reds, try to kill the blue first (he's a room leader and he'll clear the screen if you beat him). If there's a bunch of blues... sorry, you'll have to beat them the hard way.
    In addition, make sure you push every block once you've cleared a room and bomb every wall you can. But before bombing a wall, make sure it isn't a walk-though by pressing against it first. This dungeon features three walk-through walls; two are located in rooms with corner traps to make them more annoying.
    The Fifth dungeon has two items to be found. The first is the magic boomerang.
    In the first shutter-blocked room, start by bombing the top wall. You'll find a key and a door that cannot be reached by any means. Go back to the shutter room and clear the enemies, but do not advance. Rather, push around on the blocks until one reveals a staircase. This will take you to the unreachable side of the key room. Go to the west and defeat the Gleeok to find the Magic Boomerang. Then return to the key room, press against the north wall to pass through, and defeat the Manhandla to return to the start of the dungeon.

The second is the raft, which you'll need to acquire to access the next dungeon.
    The raft can be found in a dark room with corner traps. It features 8 zols and a locked door, and is found immediately after the 'Your money or your Life' room in this dungeon (that why you'll need 50 rupees by the way). This room also has a walkthrough wall to the east, which will eventually lead to the key to unlock said locked door. Illuminate the room, clear the Zols, and then push on the bricks until a staircase appears.

If you stay calm in the face of oncoming Darknuts and bomb every wall as is practical in the shape of the map, you should be able to clear the Fifth Dungeon. The boss is once again Gohma, but he's learned to take a couple extra hits to the eye. Still relatively easy to beat, though, provided you reach the room with enough hearts.
    Also note that there is a key in this dungeon which you CANNOT acquire yet. Don't worry, you won't need it to beat this dungeon.

Sixth Dungeon
    Yay! We have the raft now! Too bad it's only useful in two places, and we've been to one already. Wait... if the raft is only useful in two places and we've been to one already, then the other must be...
    Dungeon Six!

You're going to need at least 150 rupees for this dungeon, along with the bait if you haven't acquired it yet. I recommend MAXING OUT your wallet, though, because running out of rupees in the wrong spot will be disastrous. Also, make sure you have a full double potion; if you used one in the Fifth Dungeon then scrape around to get the full potion back. You're going to need it.
    Also, if you've been collecting the Heart Containers hidden around the Overworld you can now acquire the Magic Sword:
    The Magic Sword is hidden in a cave adjacent to the Lake. It is the screen that boasts only a northwest corner of land, with the rest of the screen covered in water. At this point the only way to reach the screen is by passing through the Graveyard, then taking the stairs down from the screen with all the Armos statues. Get to the corner of land and bomb the only portion of wall big enough for a cave door, and the Magic Sword will be yours.

Get used to checking your subscreen map before taking any doors in this dungeon; if the door leads to a room you've already explored then it's a trick to send you backward. Also, this is the first dungeon to feature a stretch of no-sword rooms, which you will need the bow to clear. Hence the extra buffer of rupees.
    When you enter the dungeon there really isn't a whole lot you can do. The first key is held at bay by a river that only the ladder can cross, and going in the other direction reveals a room with a very vague and unhelpful old man. If you can't figure out what to do:
    go to the previous room and press against the north wall. It's a walk-through wall.

Like before, make sure you clear any room with bricks and then press against every brick. Hidden staircases are VERY important in this dungeon. The only item to be found is the ladder:
    In the room where you walk through the north wall, you will be faced with unavoidable red bubbles. This leads to a stretch of dungeon that has to be cleared without the sword. In the second dark-room you encounter on this stretch (with eight blue goriyas), an isolated brick can be pushed to reveal the staircase which leads to the ladder. Make sure you find it BEFORE leaving this room, otherwise you will have to run the entire gauntlet again.

This dungeon features a hierarchy of doors, one that if broken will send you back to start. Try to keep this list in mind as you explore:
    Bombs come before key doors. Key doors come before shutters. Shutters come before open doors. If two doors of the same type exist, doors on the east or west wall should be prioritized before doors on the north wall. If such priority occurs you should NEVER take the doors on the north wall, as they are ALWAYS traps. If you end up at a dead-end, or the only path you can find leads back to start, check the path for hidden stairs (be sure to push EVERY brick on a screen after clearing the enemies). One last pointer:
    Hungry Goriya's in the way in more ways than one. You should head North in that room.

The dungeon also features a bomb bag increase:
    Once you pass through the first key door, defeat the Gleeok and then bomb the north wall. Also note that continuing this way will lead to the map, which is very useful for this dungeon.

The boss is a Patra, but not the screen hog variation. Get in close and spam-stab his barrier bugs, then waste him when he's vulnerable. Depending on your skill level you may or may not need the potion, but you shouldn't need it more than once.
    After you beat the dungeon, grab the last heart container on the Overworld and then go back to the Fifth Dungeon for that leftover key.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Quote Originally Posted by Orithan View Post
    Moar progress:

Finished Level 5 and completed level 6. The all I can say is that Level 6 is way too easy at this point in the quest, with the only attempts at making it harder being the use of cheap tricks like forcing you to get hit by Red Bubbles and use tons of arrows to defeat the Goriyas in the proceeding rooms or use a potion to regain your sword and the classic "Trap rooms" that send you back to the start of the dungeon. I thought this quest was going to get fairer than that .

My current equipment:
    • Magic Sword
    • Blue Ring
    • Magic Shield
    • Book
    • Raft
    • Ladder
    • Magic Boomerang
    • Bombs x16
    • Bow and Arrow
    • Blue Candle
    • Whistle
    • Red Potion
    • 13 Heart Containers.
    • Still 0 deaths.
    Ugh. Yes, this is the one aspect of 3rd that is overused IMO. LV 6, 7, 8 as I recall are fairly annoying in this regard.
    Consequently, I've now done 5 and 6 as well, (I haven't upped the videos yet) so I'm pretty much where you are at. Good Luck Orithan!

I'm going to try and get 7, 8, and 9 done tonight (or just 7, 8 if I don't have enough time). Still no Blue Ring!

[EDIT] Beat it without using the Blue Ring in 4:40:52!

Poll time. I died. Guess the Level I died in:
    a) Level 7
    b) Level 8
    c) Level 9
    d) All of the above
    Last edited by Gleeok; 08-08-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Cool. When you going to upload it?

-James

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Fucking Gleeok. The one in level 3 I mean. I should not be having this much trouble with the damned thing. I've beat a 3 headed gleeok with the wooden sword and 3 hearts before. I really need a gamepad instead of this jacked up laptop keyboard.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    Fucking Gleeok. The one in level 3 I mean. I should not be having this much trouble with the damned thing. I've beat a 3 headed gleeok with the wooden sword and 3 hearts before. I really need a gamepad instead of this jacked up laptop keyboard.
    Do you have a corded XBox 360 controller and a Windows operating system? (It has to be a legitimate corded controller and not one with a USB charger)

If you do, you can plug it into a spare USB port and then just set it up as a joystick for ZC. You won't be able to write to the trigger buttons, though (the program seems to struggle recognizing those inputs).

@Gleeok , I'm betting you only died in Level 9, and then only because Ganon touched you and did four hearts of damage (mister no-ring!). And I have to say it's quite impressive that you were able to beat the game like that. Congratulations.

I'll post hints for dungeons Seven and Eight tomorrow. And my post for Dungeon Nine (which will be supplied at a later date) will not be a hint, but rather a walk-through to escape the hell in a bottle while passing through as few rooms as possible.

Thread Information