vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.77%
    Quote Originally Posted by zellytoto View Post
    I am trying to play Zelda 2.5 on windows 8
    But in large screen it flashes
    In windowed or small screen it doesn't flash but hard to play in small window
    Read the second post in this thread.

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    47.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrl-alt-delete View Post
    Install this program, by our very own @BFeely .

https://www.williamfeely.info/wiki/DXGL

Once installed, add Zelda Classics program file and hit apply. Then test again.
    I'm having trouble as well loading Zelda Classic in fullscreen mode in Windows 8. I'm running a Dell XPS 12, with HD 4000 graphics and native resolution of 1920*1080. When I would try to run it in fullscreen mode, Allegro.txt showed the following:

Used switch: -fullscreen
    Unable to set gfx mode at -1 8bpp 1280 x 960
    Unable to set gfx mode at -1 8bpp 640 x 480
    -fullscreen not supported by your video driver! setting -windowed switch
    Unable to set gfx mode at -2 8bpp 320 x 240
    set gfx mode succsessful at -2 8bpp 640 x 480

I installed the program you mentioned above, and added the Zelda-w.exe executable to it. Now Zelda Classic loads, but it offsets the image to the right, so that the rightmost part of the image is not displayed. I uploaded a screen capture of what I get:

I tried all the options in the "Video mode" dropdown list in DXGL, but they all resulted in the same thing. Any thoughts on how I can fix this? I'd really like to be able to play the game in fullscreen mode.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.73%
    You could always try using compatibility mode of Win7, that might work.

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    47.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    You could always try using compatibility mode of Win7, that might work.
    Thanks for the suggestion Zim. Unfortunately that didn't work...but, I tried some of the other compatibility settings, and checking the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" box worked! So it looks properly now in fullscreen mode for me--I just needed the combination of the DXGL program, and that compatibility setting.

Thanks for leading me down the right path.

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.33%
    I definitely need help with this. So, I am using the "Lost Isle Build" of ZC to play, of course, Lost Isle. I am running 64 bit Windows 8 on a laptop. I have tried every suggestion here, but the game either lags on a low framerate and eventually crashes when full screen or crashes whenever I try to alter the screen size.

Using Lost Isle Build I cannot find the option to just click "large" or "small" window instead of booting straight away into fullscreen, which causes the issues. Right clicking the shortcut to force it into a smaller window is not helping. All the instructions here are not helping.

Can someone please help me troubleshoot this? It crashes anytime I try to play... I have played and beaten the game, almost, on the same laptop with windows 8 but had to use the Large Window on the latest ZC build... but that has a lot of compatibility issues that cause wizrobes to toss omnidirectional wind blasts and script errors with text and all that BS so I want to use the proper build.

Thank you for your assistance.

How many licks to get to the center Chris Miller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.91%
    Windows 8 is the issue, unfortunately. It has a way of breaking a lot of programs.

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Official AGN Discord Channel

Official ZC Dev Discord Channel

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    7.88%
    Quote Originally Posted by icedawg View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion Zim. Unfortunately that didn't work...but, I tried some of the other compatibility settings, and checking the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" box worked! So it looks properly now in fullscreen mode for me--I just needed the combination of the DXGL program, and that compatibility setting.

Thanks for leading me down the right path.
    Unfortunately DXGL is not currently compatible with High DPI settings, however as icedawg discovered the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" compatibility setting can be used to work around this issue. Since this is now an issue for some users, I will investigate fixing the issue so the compatibility setting is no longer needed.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.73%
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifticuffs View Post
    I definitely need help with this. So, I am using the "Lost Isle Build" of ZC to play, of course, Lost Isle. I am running 64 bit Windows 8 on a laptop. I have tried every suggestion here, but the game either lags on a low framerate and eventually crashes when full screen or crashes whenever I try to alter the screen size.

Using Lost Isle Build I cannot find the option to just click "large" or "small" window instead of booting straight away into fullscreen, which causes the issues. Right clicking the shortcut to force it into a smaller window is not helping. All the instructions here are not helping.

Can someone please help me troubleshoot this? It crashes anytime I try to play... I have played and beaten the game, almost, on the same laptop with windows 8 but had to use the Large Window on the latest ZC build... but that has a lot of compatibility issues that cause wizrobes to toss omnidirectional wind blasts and script errors with text and all that BS so I want to use the proper build.

Thank you for your assistance.
    Lost Isle (if I remember correctly) doesn't need the Lose Isle build of Zelda Classic anymore. It was updated for compatibility with the current latest version of Zelda Classic (Or the Release Candidate of next version).
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.52%
    Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I just discovered ZC and I'm having Win 8 full screen issues. I tried DXGL, but ZC is running at 24 fps instead of 60. Any suggestions or tweaks?

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.52%
    Quote Originally Posted by DBJordan View Post
    Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I just discovered ZC and I'm having Win 8 full screen issues. I tried DXGL, but ZC is running at 24 fps instead of 60. Any suggestions or tweaks?
    OK, now I'm worse off. I uninstalled DXGL, and now every time I launch ZC, my desktop resolution changes to 640x480. I just want to run it windowed in my normal resolution. I've deleted ZC and reinstalled it, but nothing changes. Any ideas?

Thread Information