Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    76.42%

Link's Last Leg: Review and Playthrough

The videp paythroughl, still uploading the last parts either tonight or tomorrow, no commentary, it's over 10 hours long:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...Vm9DqEc9MPekiH

Now for the review: I give it a 3 out of 5.

Here is my reasoning:

1. Some balance issues. The quest took me 18 games to complete, which for the average player is probably going to be somewhere around 200. This is because of some balancing issues getting the Red Ring, no Magic Sword to bash the Wizzrobes in Lv. 5 in, and some other things.

2. The last levels looked like they were rushed and were very buggy, including multiple rooms where you appeared over a tile and other things. This is generally not acceptable.

3. There were some pacing issues in the quest. In some areas the enemies were way too hard and way too many items were put into Level 7 where they could've been useful in other areas. This kinda ruins the quest in some ways.

4. I don't exactly get the use of the chicken legs. Maybe some cutscenes are necessary to explain this.

Now for the good parts:

1. The quest looks gorgeous! The palette is amazing and really adds to the quest.

2. There were some technical aspects that were awesome in this quest. The saved rooms in Level 4 across dungeons were pretty amazing, I didn't even know that could be done.

Hopefully your next quest is a masterpiece BigJoe.

-James

EDIT: The entire run is up. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-29-2014 at 01:44 AM.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.09%
    I watched a little of you play-through. I haven't yet beat this quest so I can't give it a full review. I have played through half of it and so far I disagree with you almost entirely on your negatives.

1. Some balance issues. The quest took me 18 games to complete, which for the average player is probably going to be somewhere around 200. This is because of some balancing issues getting the Red Ring, no Magic Sword to bash the Wizzrobes in Lv. 5 in, and some other things.

3. There were some pacing issues in the quest. In some areas the enemies were way too hard and way too many items were put into Level 7 where they could've been useful in other areas. This kinda ruins the quest in some ways.
    These seem to be exactly the same with how you've phrased them. While things most-likely get harder later on I never notice a problem with balance or pace in levels 1-4. While I do die much more often then players like you if I expect the later levels deaths to be double my deaths from the early ones that number will likely be around 100 to 120 or so not 200. Which is probably a more likely estimate for average players(like myself). And the way I see it the red ring and magic sword are over-powered and really just there as a bonus in most quests.

2. The last levels looked like they were rushed and were very buggy, including multiple rooms where you appeared over a tile and other things. This is generally not acceptable.
    This one I cannot comment on because I haven't been there yet. It just seems like you are nitpicking. Bugs that mess with gameplay or a lot of combo errors are one thing but a few combos not being overhead when they should be aren't really a "knock some points of this quest" type thing but more is "let me send the quest maker a message letting him know he overlooked something small."

4. I don't exactly get the use of the chicken legs. Maybe some cutscenes are necessary to explain this.
    Makes about as much sense as Triangles. In fact I like them better. The fact that you are collecting fried chicken and the pun in the name just 1-ups LoZ. The only problem I have with it is Link isn't black *shot*. Seriously how is this a negative? Sorry, I forget you lack a sense of humor.

This topic has reminded me how much I enjoyed playing through the first half of it. I have decided to stop putting off finishing it. While it is on the higher end of the difficulty levels I can take (which is typical of BigJoe's quests) it isnt to the point where it isnt fun. I really think BigJoe has a knack for dungeon designing though he often hides his push blocks a little too well.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    22.29%
    I think it's 5/5 material.

Thread Information