User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Can a Commercial Game be sold if created with ZC?

  1. #11
    The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    King Aquamentus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    DA MUSHROOM KINGDUM
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,883
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    5,486
    Level
    23
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.74%
    And of course you'd need some form of copy protection

  2. #12
    Octorok Glenn the Great's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Bible Belt, USA
    Posts
    338
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    2,265
    Level
    15
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.4%
    Quote Originally Posted by King Aquamentus View Post
    And of course you'd need some form of copy protection
    I think his quests are going to be a tough enough sell already without adding a layer of DRM to them!

    Shattered Earth, coming soon!

    Mappers needed. If you want to help, send a PM to MasterSwordUltima.

  3. #13
    Admiral Zim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    388
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    1,551
    Level
    13
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    27.93%
    I used to sell people modded, "hacked," versions of Official Nintendo products.
    Nintendo never had any qualms with this sort of thing going on. They would just make sure that they were not to be held liable
    if something went wrong back then, once a 'third-party' controller is even in the mix, all bets are off on the quality of the product,
    that's where Nintendo's strongpoint was back then.. Everyone else can do what they like with the hardware and software, but Nintendo
    products were always great and, save for extreme abuse, and I do mean extreme, they would not break or faulter.. (Except for Harley's Humongous Adventure, that game froze on the anthill level on every copy of the game I got...)
    Official Nintendo stuff is virtually infallible and of top-notch quality, any modification, tampering, or third party product induction into
    the gameplay experience results in a termination of any quality seal of approval or warrantee.
    I don't speak for AGN when I say this, but I can imagine that most of the staff wouldn't disagree:
    Same goes for ZC.
    If you get the source, or use .dat files, whatever means you modify this software, AGN or the ZC devs are not going to take any responsibility if your mod of the software you sell ends up crashing someone's computer.. Then again, that disclaimer is already in the program!
    Last edited by Zim; 06-13-2013 at 08:36 PM.

  4. #14
    Octorok
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    993
    Level
    10
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    91.07%
    I would not recommend selling it because of copyright and also people may or may not believe the game is safe to install.


    However I do know of a legal loophole in this, you can make an account on http://www.youcaring.com/ and also make a bank account and make a quest that teaches how to send donations. I myself am making a quest called The Adventures of Link 2 that will teach how to send donations to some people and this is legal because I am not charging people to play the game but rather in the game it teaches how to send donations and it is up to the person's, people's etc. own free will whether to send donations or not.
    If you would like you may join and/or introduce my Message Board (forum) http://christisawsome.proboards59.com/index.cgi named ChristIsAwsome.

    Also preferably means recommendably.

    May I have some Land in Lalaria > http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...143AAKWsmv&r=w help please, thank you (preferably by Private Messaging me).

  5. #15
    The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    King Aquamentus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    DA MUSHROOM KINGDUM
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,883
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    5,486
    Level
    23
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.74%
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Froggy
    I think his quests are going to be a tough enough sell already without adding a layer of DRM to them!
    precisely. On the other hand, there is *nothing* standing between a simple Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V command and some free copies.

  6. #16
    Gel GypsyoftheShade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    283
    Level
    6
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.33%
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    If you get the source, or use .dat files, whatever means you modify this software, AGN or the ZC devs are not going to take any responsibility if your mod of the software you sell ends up crashing someone's computer.. Then again, that disclaimer is already in the program!
    Yea most software disclaimers will say the same thing. I guess for the best answer I need to contact the head programmer of the project. Just so everyone knows, I do realize I would have to strip the program of all the original sprites used in the NES game, but what it really boils down is 2 points...

    1) Is the coding that ZC uses, built off of an exact replication of the original NES Zelda Engine? In other words, is it a Mod of the NES Zelda with an scripted Editor built-in?
    and
    2) Even though it is free and open-sourced, does the owner allow the sale of 100% custom quests with a "stripped" version of ZC in his disclaimer.

    and if the answer to both these are no, would the owner of ZC please edit his disclaimer to make the 2nd yes. :)



    Quote Originally Posted by MotleyCrueFan View Post
    However I do know of a legal loophole in this, you can make an account on http://www.youcaring.com/ and also make a bank account and make a quest that teaches how to send donations. I myself am making a quest called The Adventures of Link 2 that will teach how to send donations to some people and this is legal because I am not charging people to play the game but rather in the game it teaches how to send donations and it is up to the person's, people's etc. own free will whether to send donations or not.
    That's a pretty cool idea. If the owner doesn't like the idea of commercial quests with a stripped version of ZC I would totally go for this.



    Quote Originally Posted by King Aquamentus View Post
    precisely. On the other hand, there is *nothing* standing between a simple Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V command and some free copies.

    well it's true, most software nowadays can be hacked. But if Karma is true, I dont' wanna be the tampon.
    Last edited by GypsyoftheShade; 06-15-2013 at 01:16 AM.
    Upcoming Fan-game Projects:
    (SNES Zelda LTTP Fangame)
    Gypsy Warrior
    (NES Uninvited Horror Fangame)
    The Uninvited: Land of the Banshee

  7. #17
    Octorok Glenn the Great's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Bible Belt, USA
    Posts
    338
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    2,265
    Level
    15
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.4%
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyoftheShade View Post
    1) Is the coding that ZC uses, built off of an exact replication of the original NES Zelda Engine? In other words, is it a Mod of the NES Zelda with an scripted Editor built-in?
    Zelda Classic started off being coded as a built-from-scratch approximation of the NES Zelda Engine.
    ZC has since evolved through the years to encompass many features that go beyond what was provisioned for in the NES Zelda Engine, even beyond what would have been capable on the NES hardware itself.
    In other words, you'll find no original NES code anywhere within Zelda Classic.

    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyoftheShade View Post
    2) Even though it is free and open-sourced, does the owner allow the sale of 100% custom quests with a "stripped" version of ZC in his disclaimer.
    Zelda Classic has not been open-sourced. There are, however, plans in the works to open source it under the GPL in the near future.

    Once that happens though, if you create a stripped down version of Zelda Classic to package with your quests, then you will be required to publicly release its source code.

    Please refer to this post where Dark Dragon discusses the upcoming release of the source code: http://armageddongames.net/showthrea...l=1#post889846
    Last edited by Glenn the Great; 06-15-2013 at 02:56 PM.

    Shattered Earth, coming soon!

    Mappers needed. If you want to help, send a PM to MasterSwordUltima.

  8. #18
    Gel GypsyoftheShade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    283
    Level
    6
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.33%
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn the Great View Post
    Zelda Classic started off being coded as a built-from-scratch approximation of the NES Zelda Engine.
    ZC has since evolved through the years to encompass many features that go beyond what was provisioned for in the NES Zelda Engine, even beyond what would have been capable on the NES hardware itself.
    In other words, you'll find no original NES code anywhere within Zelda Classic.
    That's good to hear. It's a lot of clearance towards a legal stripped version IF the owners ever wanted to do something like this. Because personally, I think that an alternative version of what ZC "came out of", would be a great dungeon crawler game making engine for those among us that do have a lot of great creative direction and stories just waiting to be unleashed, but don't have the brand-name console development kits that cost so much more than the average individual can afford.


    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn the Great View Post
    Zelda Classic has not been open-sourced. There are, however, plans in the works to open source it under the GPL in the near future.
    sorry about that, maybe I'm thinking of Project Zelda Engine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn the Great View Post
    Once that happens though, if you create a stripped down version of Zelda Classic to package with your quests, then you will be required to publicly release its source code.
    [/URL]
    Yes, but the stripped version of ZC (before adding the quest) would be the original source code, no? Maybe when releasing the stripped or rather the " birthday suit" version of what ZC came out of, an Indie could release the birthday suit version's Source Code, because editing the source code with the additional edited code of the quest would disqualify it from being SC? lol man, sorry if this is sounding like mumbo jumbo, but it's really not.

    I'm not saying I don't approve of what ZC is, I think it's f'n great :)

    It's just, it would give another option for those who have commercial desire too.
    Upcoming Fan-game Projects:
    (SNES Zelda LTTP Fangame)
    Gypsy Warrior
    (NES Uninvited Horror Fangame)
    The Uninvited: Land of the Banshee

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Armageddon Games is a game development group founded in 1997. We are extremely passionate about our work and our inspirations are mostly drawn from games of the 8-bit and 16-bit era.
Social