3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.36%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Doom mapping.

A simple title for something so lovingly complex.

I have to say, I've fallen in love with mapping for the original Doom and Doom II. For someone who is intimidated by the Unreal Dev Editors, it's pretty simple to map in the Doom engine using DoomBuilder2. It makes it fairly easy, especially when you've mapped out the keyboard shortcuts just the way you like them.

I haven't made any real levels yet, (it takes ages.) but I've toyed around with all the fun stuff you can do that has advanced the world of Doom into the 21st century and beyond. You can practically reproduce Duke Nukem now in it, and then-some. 3D floors, swimming, slopes, fog, and the list goes on. It's brilliant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.82%
    First off, that avatar though!! ^_^

I've never played with Doom editors, but Doom II remains of my absolute favorite shooters of all time. It's just so damn good. If Doom 4 holds up to the promise of making a Doom II style game, I'll pick it up for sure.
    You should give real level creation a shot!! It'd be awesome to play a couple AGN community levels =]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.27%
    Ah, now you're speaking my language. I friggin' loved making levels for Doom back in the day. I haven't really done much since college, though, kinda got snagged up with mapper's block. Actually, I'm surprised I ever finished anything at all - I'd always like have a brilliant idea for a room, but then not know what to do with it once I finished that one room. I will say I've never really experimented with modern editing features, though. To me, part of the appeal is its simplicity - I remember once trying to learn Quake mapping, and while I got the concept alright, I felt overwhelmed by the amount of freedom real 3D mapping allowed. I don't know, I kinda have a philosophy that limitation fosters creativity.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.45%
    A relative was very fond of modifying Quake and part of that involved level building. Using the level builder was key to my understanding level curves of 3-Dimensional graphs.

Haven't built anything with Doom, though.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.13%
    My Doom Building career has been very much like my Zelda Classic career. I've spent years and years working on projects only to have nothing finished to show of it. For some reason though, I've gotten pretty heavily into acs scripting for Doom, but have hardly even touched zscript.

One of the most likely projects for me to finish is this Doom wad I've been working on for a year or two now. It a nice rainy wetlands map inspired by the likes of Tallon Overworld from Metroid Prime, Torvus Bog from Prime 2, Kashyyyk from Star Wars (perhaps the most obvious inspiration), and bits of other things. Gameplay wise, it's basically defending a marine base from an invasion of monsters. You fight alongside a large (and I mean LARGE) division of marines that have various weapons and abilities. It's awesome because it feels like you're really in the middle of a war zone with and I haven't played a game that was able to capture this experience.

Karate guys for cash. Aegix Drakan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.86%
    I tried to get into it once, to make a level for SRB2 (A sonic fangame I really enjoy, made with the Doom engine).

...I couldn't do jack shit with it. XD

I suppose by now I should be more determined and tech savvy, so I should try again when I have time.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    AGN is not meant for people who have lives. Come back home, turn the lights off and stare in awe at the glow that comes from the monitor.
    Do you enjoy challenging RPGs? Do you enjoy dark storylines? You'll like my game. Go on, it's not very long.
    You can download my game for free right here!
    Feedback on it would be nice. It'll help with future projects.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.27%
    I think making a map for SRB2 might be a little ambitious for just learning the basics of Doom mapping. (a) You're dealing with a source port, which adds all kinds of extra features which are great if you know what you're doing but can complicate things if you're just trying to learn the basic gist of making a Doom map, and on top of that, (b) you're dealing with a mod which radically changes the gameplay style and has its own set of complications to deal with. I mean, I've made Doom maps since I was 12 and it'd take a bit of effort for me to learn mapping for SRB2. Reminds me, I should download that sometime, that was a fun little project. Could not believe someone could take the Doom engine and make a viable Sonic game with it (and not your standard "Replace enemy sprites with Robotnik's minions," type mod, to boot, an actual, honest-to-God 3D Sonic game).
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Thread Information