10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%

Round 2...

...Fight!

So... I've had little free time these last few months so progress has been slow to say the least, but now it's time to move on to the next round of *stuff*.
    A quick look back at what there is reveals a whole lot of, in no particular order: scripting api, resources, file handling, data types, management classes, game states, graphics, rendering, debugging, half-finished ideas, and lots of half-implemented crap; plus everything else I didn't mention. Making an rpg is already hard enough as is!

Anyway, we're moving on to more entity based code now (thank God) - things like camera, map screens, player, battle entities, etc. so it should be more fun and motivating to work on now that all the dreary detail stuff is workable! ...Still putting off the UI though ... :\

On a similar note; got tilemap related saving/loading/rendering working,..yet again.. This time we have unlimited wraparound and no crashing when drawing off the edges of maps - always a plus.
    Normal (left), Tinted nighttime(right)
    (I don't miss the palettes at all)
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    Normal (left), Tinted nighttime(right)
    (I don't miss the palettes at all)
    It's beautiful! Just beautiful!

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Smooth and awesome.

One question... is the night tint an overlay or just a different palette?

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Nope, no overlays or palettes.
    It's just a simple color attribute every layer has. That is literally "layer->color = color(20, 90, 160, 255); ( forgot the exact color)" There's also layer blending and shaders (this is going to be awesome) - though we are in desperate need of some map editing tools before we can even break the surface of those.

Got a camera and mapscreen class rockin. Next up is to get a Player rolling and see if we can walk around town. :)
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Nope, no overlays or palettes.
    It's just a simple color attribute every layer has. That is literally "layer->color = color(20, 90, 160, 255); ( forgot the exact color)" There's also layer blending and shaders (this is going to be awesome) - though we are in desperate need of some map editing tools before we can even break the surface of those.

Got a camera and mapscreen class rockin. Next up is to get a Player rolling and see if we can walk around town. :)
    This is the beautiful thing, no palettes!

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    I got a shitload of stuff done today! Woo! :)

Also, if anyone knows whether or not all maps in FF wrap-around let me know. Right now it looks like a yes (from sky castle and overworld maps) and instead of a repeating pattern maps are simply "large enough" so you can't ever see the other side from one edge. At least it looks like that based off where you can walk. Most the maps suggest 1024x1024 (64x64 tiles) I think, but then there's Waterfall Cave and Gurgu Volcano where I'm not so sure. hmm...

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    And now I give you *drumroll please* ... The most complicated way, ever, to get sprites on a screen!!!! (If you don't know what I'm talking about then you probably haven't tried to rewrite rpg maker....yeah)

Someone write a caption for it because I'm just too tired right now..

Oh yeah, we has battle engine with scripts now. How ever many combat guys that are on the screen is how many scripts are running (I didn't count).

Fun thing #1: You can have any combination of monsters/ monster troops stacked together in any combination when a battle is created. The above is just 4 battles added at once. (I also added 32 party members to my party)
    Who smokes a lot of crack? That's right, I smoke a lot of crack.

Also still on the table:
    Also, if anyone knows whether or not all maps in FF wrap-around let me know. Right now it looks like a yes (from sky castle and overworld maps) and instead of a repeating pattern maps are simply "large enough" so you can't ever see the other side from one edge. At least it looks like that based off where you can walk. Most the maps suggest 1024x1024 (64x64 tiles) I think, but then there's Waterfall Cave and Gurgu Volcano where I'm not so sure. hmm...

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.77%
    And now I give you *drumroll please* ... The most complicated way, ever, to get sprites on a screen!!!! (If you don't know what I'm talking about then you probably haven't tried to rewrite rpg maker....yeah)

Someone write a caption for it because I'm just too tired right now..

Oh yeah, we has battle engine with scripts now. How ever many combat guys that are on the screen is how many scripts are running (I didn't count).

Fun thing #1: You can have any combination of monsters/ monster troops stacked together in any combination when a battle is created. The above is just 4 battles added at once. (I also added 32 party members to my party)
    Who smokes a lot of crack? That's right, I smoke a lot of crack.

Also still on the table:
    Wow. This is going to be huge. Awesome image.

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    Shouldn't that be an optional thing though rather then forced for every map.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    As far as I am aware, you are correct on this one. I seem to recall someone glitching the game to get behind the walls of the Waterfall Cavern, and thereby being able to wrap around the map. It is also very apparent in the Sunken Shrine. Since the dungeons are all probably built in the same way, the Volcano must have enough 'dead wall' space to avoid spotting the wrap-around.

Thread Information