vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.16%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

The quest you've always wanted to make

... but never had the time to.

So this is just a discussion not about a quest that actually exists, but about the quest of your dreams, that you yourself would one day wish to create.

Given the limitations of ZC 2.5, minus the freedom of ZScript, tell us all about it! Omit no detail. This is your thread. Do with it what ye will.

-------------------------------------------------

My quest, ... that one quest to rule them all, ... or at least to pacify what little ego I have left after falling down the stairs this morning, haha, (Never happened. = =. ) is about as far from a Zelda-style quest as you'll ever see. It's going to be plot-based, yet largely nonlinear, in the sense that it won't be "on rails."

You will of course have access to items requiring you to possess them to progress to new areas, certainly, but what game doesn't have tools like that? But that won't be the only thing stopping you from entering new areas. There will be PLENTY of scripts and "events" activated from one area that affects another. The game's plotline requires it. Heavily.

There will be not two, but three "meters" in the game: Health, Magic, and Stamina. Every action will use some stamina, but it quickly regenerates. Magic will be used much as it is in a standard quest, but there will be many occasions to use it, and it won't only be items that use it.

Many of the items in the game will be spells that you uncover. You will start with a decent-sized Magic Meter. There won't be a "boomerang" item - Instead, there will be a spell that attempts to emit force in a given direction, stunning any NPC it comes into contact with. It won't "return" to you. But it will be used to knock items off of ledges, onto the floor below. There will be a basic fireball spell that, when upgraded, will explode when it hits something. (There's your bombs. No Dodongos in this quest.) The hookshot will be a magical magnet that changes polarity when it hits something. I'm sure you can get the idea.

The setting is quite fantastical, and often whimsical, yet has a dark and serious side. There will be things that will make you laugh, things that will make you think everything is right with the world, and there will things that you make you clench your fist in pure white hot rage. I would include 2x2 portraits of everyone in the game, (Or at least important NPCs) if I had the time to draw them. Takes waaay too long as it is, and I make more tiles than I usually place down in the world.

The game will open up with you in a briefing with your comrades at arms. You will be engaged in a practice drill into an old abandoned tower elsewhere in the land. You're transported there on the back of a Dragon-like creature, and storm up the tower until you find your goal. The plot dictates that you will return to this tower later on in the game, under entirely different circumstances. It's that kind of game, yeah. The plot will be worked backwards. It has to, if it is to make any sense.

So how 'bout you?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.64%
    At one point, I wished I could make a fully sidescrolling, fully working, fully full,Super Mario Bros. Quest with all the scripts working and everything, but alas, I would probably never be able to do that, as I cannot script, as well as the fact that sidescrolling areas doesn't have a script for it yet. Someday it will be made though.

How many licks to get to the center Chris Miller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.91%
    If I could script....
    Mine would involve the second Agahnim battle from alttp, but with all three of them shooting lightning, and only the real Agahnim's power bolts would be able to hurt him.
    Really, The Titan's Quest is the quest I always wanted to make, but there's so much I wanted to add to it and modify, but I really don't have the skills to do it.
    I can read up on any programming language, and practice a thousand hours, but I still retain none of it. :cry:

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Official AGN Discord Channel

Official ZC Dev Discord Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.59%
    Never made a quest before, so this isn't much, but here goes...

Title: Meanie Town

Story: Link is charged with defending a town from eight invading empires. But the residents of the town are meanies and won't provide him with any equipment save for a wooden sword and a shield.

Gameplay: Link has to scavenge better weapons from the forts of the invading empires, using a weapon from one fort to defeat the boss of another fort, much like in a Mega Man game. Link can also return to the town to spend ungodly amounts of rupees to upgrade his items.
    I thought the random question asked who the final boss of Final Fantasy 1 was. No wonder that registration didn't take!

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.03%
    This one might make you laugh a little, but approach it with an open mind. It was on my mind back in the day and on my mind again, now.

Title: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Tommy's Ordeal

Story: The Story plays out like one of the show's many miniseries with their dramatic overtones and plot-altering changes. Basically, everyone has had their power coins scattered across Angel Grove, including Tommy (the White Ranger). This has rendered them all powerless, except Tommy, who still has a limited-power Green Ranger morpher from his clone, Tom. He can't morph with it, but after boosting its power enough, that may change. Once his power is strong enough (heart containers) and he finds it, he'll also be able to morph back into the White Ranger. Once all the coins are restored, the team can summon the Tiger Megazord for Level 9, which is basically a giant robot fight in the city. Aye aye aye aye aye!

Gameplay: Tommy showboats the series once again by being the only playable character. The environments would largely be similar to that of Megaman: Doctor Wily's Revenge (director's cut), and may even harshly address the issue of Tommy having abandoned the Dragonzord (in the Super Sentai series, the mecha were sentient beings, so not much of a stretch.)

==========================

Title: A Link to the Stars

Story: Hyrule, 7500 AD. There are three warring factions in the cosmos: The Hylian Federation of civilized planets, the bloodthirsty rouges and pirates, and the Cy-mechs, a race of machines hell-bent on exterminating other life. One day, shortly before General Link is to marry the Princess, Zelda, a group of bandits kidnaps her and flees to the infinity of space. With a nigh-infinite range to search, and no clue as to her location, General Link might as well face the fact that he'll never see her again.

...except no. Instead, he hops in his starfighter and starts searching the cosmos for her, gathering clues regarding her location, as well as fragments of a mysterious artifact called the "Triforce", which is somehow linked to her kidnapping.

Gameplay: I actually attempted this once, as it was a manipulation of ZC physics for teh win. What happened was, There was an outer space dmap which acted as the overworld, and on this screen certain items would be disabled while others were enabled, including an item that changed Link's appearances to that of a space jet. On the surface of planets/inside bases/caves, You'd have Link himself, with the ship items disabled and ground items enabled instead. This all worked out well, except that space, being what it is, is really hard to make work as an overworld with obstacles to overcome. Only about half of the overworld was actually completed, and there were only about two and a half dungeons.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    55.45%
    What I always wanted to make is a VERY HUUUUUGE quest with upgraded LttP graphics with extremely big overworld, many optional caves, terribly much dungeons with all hardcoded and many scripted items, where:
    player starts out with simple wooden sword, shield and boomerang and such small equipment, then go through many many levels of items (copper, bronze, iron, better iron, steel, better steel, magic, etc.),
    having some dungeons be in free order, using long range screen state carry overs (a dungeon has two coloured blocks before the entrance and one dungeon lowers one colour, another lowers another colour,
    with extreme huge bosses that look like proper SNES bosses.

All of my bigger quests are going in this direction, but I learned that even quarter of that would take more free time than how much is in the rest of my life.

Also, I wanted to make an Ultima IX remake on 2.50 (after the failed 2.10 attempt), planning to wait till 2.50's release, but then I was involved in other things and I lost the mood for remakes. Then I lost the mood for Ultima remakes in ZC, too, since there are already good remakes on bigger (3D) engines.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    95.41%
    I would love to do an 8-bit Super Smash Bros. clone, with a player select screen, brawl mode, and a side-scrolling adventure mode, a la Melee. Multiplayer would be awesome, but given the limitations of ZC, I don't think it would be possible, even with scripting. But I think, if I learned scripting and had a TON of free time, I could probably do it (EDIT: The Smash Bros. game, not multiplayer).
    Please check out my current project, The Legend of Zelda: Trials of the Gods
    http://armageddongames.net/showthrea...ls-of-the-Gods
    Current release: V3.1 (Demo)

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by lineas View Post
    I would love to do an 8-bit Super Smash Bros. clone, with a player select screen, brawl mode, and a side-scrolling adventure mode, a la Melee. Multiplayer would be awesome, but given the limitations of ZC, I don't think it would be possible, even with scripting. But I think, if I learned scripting and had a TON of free time, I could probably do it (EDIT: The Smash Bros. game, not multiplayer).
    You'd have to share a keyboard, but you could set EX1-EX4 as the second player's DPad, and L and R as their A and B buttons. It'd take a LOT of scripting, though.
    EDIT: Also, you'd only be able to do two players.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    95.41%
    lol, well, at this point, I couldn't script my way out of a digital paper bag, so, the whole idea is a bit moot.
    Please check out my current project, The Legend of Zelda: Trials of the Gods
    http://armageddongames.net/showthrea...ls-of-the-Gods
    Current release: V3.1 (Demo)

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by lineas View Post
    lol, well, at this point, I couldn't script my way out of a digital paper bag, so, the whole idea is a bit moot.
    True... until you get the hang of scripting the whole sideways fighting game thing would be a bit difficult to arrange, but... if you can get somebody excited enough about the idea then they might make it happen with their scripting magic!

I'm currently planning the means of creating my ideal quest, a Metroidvania with LittleBigPlanet style lanes and Abuse style mouse controls. I have the basic methods down, but to actually achieve this goal I need time to piece and test their combination.
    But it will be EPIC!

Thread Information