0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    45.87%

Stuck with some things in my first quest

Hi there,

I'm new to this stuff and just work on my first quest (or rather I pretty much finished it but there are things I'm stuck with) but there are things I can't do or rather don't know how but would like to. I hope someone will help me here (and at some point some experts to give me feedback). I'm using the latest 2.5 release to work with. Also I can't do scripting though I had some Visual Basic lessons like 7, 8 years ago (worked out fine at the start but I screwed up my exam and got second worst grade, luckily it was optional).

Some of the overworld graphics change colors with Links Tunic (Ring) and this annoys me.

Is it possible to give a certain enemy a custom Weapon sprite but only this one. For Example a Wizzrobe that has Magic as a Weapon but this one particular Enemy is the only one from all that have Magic as Weapon that shoots lightning instead of the normal sprites the other Wizzrobes do.?
    Damaging Water
    Streaming water to swim against, physically not just visually or rather is there a better way to have a smoother working Water Stream then via Combocycling?
    Talking to people.
    Readable signs.
    Wanted to have different Ganons with unique traits but of course this ain't that easy...
    Somwhere I saw an Aquamentus breathing fire but how can this work? If I give him another weapon than fireball he just shots one up and one down.
    How can you make a Text appear if you pickup an Item?
    Damaging Pits, how can you do that?
    Slippery Ice would be nice as well.
    You know of some kind of Example Tab for Damage you do with example power and take with and without rings, including in Health. I am not sure if I get that all right.

How the heck does Screen Carry over (Secrets) work? Or what can I do with Screen Carry over? For example, I tried to do it with the ZCWiki explanation but it seemingly doesn't work. I wanted that after beating the Boss of the Dungeon another part of the Dungeon gets closed off permanently so revisiting it makes you to take a different route for the next price or just the completion of the game for others.
    I have barely an idea of Freeform Combo's or Combo cycling although I used some. Can you give me a throughout explanation?
    If I have solid damage Combo on Layer 1 or 2 and Layer 0 is Water, is it possible to dive under them while swimming won't bring you through. If not, is there another way to do this?
    On Pallete/CSet editing there are serveral things I don't get. What use does "Load to CS 9" has since you can freely edit the colors? Except it has special traits I don't know off.
    What is with the "Cycle" option under Level Palettes?
    The Misc Colors Option is used how and for what? (I don't want to screw up something through my insufficent knowledge.)
    When building screens you normally only have CSet's 0-11 to work with and scroll through. Can you also use CSet's 12-14 simultanely? How?
    What can you teach me about Custom Bosses?
    What is that lower quarter on the tileset editor with the grid?
    Tiles for an Ice Wizzrobe come with ZClassic/ZQuest, I can't even select Ice Magic as a Weapon, how?
    Diagonal Trap Tiles? Under trap I only have horizontal LoS, horizontal constant, vertical LoS, vertical constant?
    And why are there Tiles for a Fire Dodongo. How can it be made that a Dodongo breaths fire?

Thx in advance for your help.
    Have a nice day.
    Thou art I… And I am thou…

As I wander in the Darkness, I feel strong
    As I wander in the darkness, I see power
    As I wander in the darkness, I take the might
    As I wander in the darkness, I loose my sight
    As I wander in the darkness, I fuse with it
    As I wandered in the darkness, I became it
    And all what is left is only deeper darkness

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.31%
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeofjudgement View Post
    Some of the overworld graphics change colors with Links Tunic (Ring) and this annoys me.
    The combos may be using one of Link's palettes, which means they adjust when he does. I think it's CSet 6 that does this.

Is it possible to give a certain enemy a custom Weapon sprite but only this one. For Example a Wizzrobe that has Magic as a Weapon but this one particular Enemy is the only one from all that have Magic as Weapon that shoots lightning instead of the normal sprites the other Wizzrobes do.?
    I don't know about this. If it's in the system, the Enemy Editor would be the place to look. Otherwise it sounds like you'd have to script a custom E-Weapon.

Damaging Water
    You mean falling into water and drowning without the flippers? There might be a quest rule for that... I'm not sure (Wow, I'm being really useless right now, sorry).

Talking to people.
    Readable signs.
    At the moment, these are definitely scripted events. Usually it's a free-form combo script that displays a specific string if Link is at certain coordinates (right below the sign, for example) and presses a certain button.

Wanted to have different Ganons with unique traits but of course this ain't that easy...
    Yeah, if you're building a Ganon that doesn't follow the behavior of the classic Zelda 1 Ganon, you'll have to do it from scratch.

Somwhere I saw an Aquamentus breathing fire but how can this work? If I give him another weapon than fireball he just shots one up and one down.
    Scripting. For the ice, you'll need to check for the specific combo number, or inherent flag based on your preference, and then delay Link's motion with an Inertia counter. ...Or something. @SUCCESSOR might know more.

Good question. In the old days, when I knew what I was doing, you tied the secret to item pick-up and then warped the player to a screen with the string on it. Nowadays... there's either a 'Display String' in the Item customization menu, or it's scripted. There might be a third option, but I'm a dinosaur and I don't know what it is.

Same boat as drowning in water. I know it's possible, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you how to do it. Maybe somebody else can help.

You know of some kind of Example Tab for Damage you do with example power and take with and without rings, including in Health. I am not sure if I get that all right.
    Um, I'm not sure I understand you here. If you're talking about weapon power, everything is measured in quarter hearts (Or is it sixteenth hearts? ...No, I'm fairly certain it's quarter hearts). So if an enemy has power 4, it will do one heart of damage to Green Tunic Link. The Blue ring cuts damage in half, and the red cuts it into a quarter. So that same power 4 enemy deals only one quarter heart of damage to Red Tunic Link.

How the heck does Screen Carry over (Secrets) work? Or what can I do with Screen Carry over? For example, I tried to do it with the ZCWiki explanation but it seemingly doesn't work. I wanted that after beating the Boss of the Dungeon another part of the Dungeon gets closed off permanently so revisiting it makes you to take a different route for the next price or just the completion of the game for others.
    Never understood that stuff either. I thought Screen Carryover was supposed to keep the enemies from re-spawning if the quest-maker used pit-warps to dramatically change the screen. Since it was an archaic technique before scripting was added, it has gone by the wayside.

I have barely an idea of Freeform Combo's or Combo cycling although I used some. Can you give me a throughout explanation?
    I vaguely remember being able to force a combo to change after it completes its animation once. Is that what you're talking about.
    Never touched Freeform Combos. I always use Drawtile in a script to make things move off-grid. Somebody else should be able to help you with that, though.

If I have solid damage Combo on Layer 1 or 2 and Layer 0 is Water, is it possible to dive under them while swimming won't bring you through. If not, is there another way to do this?
    The way ZC is coded, Layers 0-2 interact with Link at all times. As such, there is not a way to make him ignore those damage combos by diving.
    ...I wonder if you could set his z-axis rating lower while he's diving to make him ignore the combos. Still, sounds like a situation that would require scripting or I suppose a dive warp (You could have him go into an 'underwater' room on the floor below, thus allowing him to swim under the spikes by way of a different screen).

On Pallete/CSet editing there are serveral things I don't get. What use does "Load to CS 9" has since you can freely edit the colors? Except it has special traits I don't know off.
    The Misc Colors Option is used how and for what? (I don't want to screw up something through my insufficent knowledge.)
    When building screens you normally only have CSet's 0-11 to work with and scroll through. Can you also use CSet's 12-14 simultanely? How?
    Used to know these. Can't remember now. Sorry. Somebody else can help with that.

Me? Nothing personally. Most custom bosses are scripted, although a few people do get some use out of tweaking the Zelda 1 bosses in the enemy editor. If you can find somebody else's boss script, studying it might help you get started.

????

Tiles for an Ice Wizzrobe come with ZClassic/ZQuest, I can't even select Ice Magic as a Weapon, how?
    Diagonal Trap Tiles? Under trap I only have horizontal LoS, horizontal constant, vertical LoS, vertical constant?
    And why are there Tiles for a Fire Dodongo. How can it be made that a Dodongo breaths fire?
    These were probably planned features that got dropped during the debugging years of ZC 2.5. If you want to put them to use, you'll probably have to custom script them.

Hopefully somebody else who's better at this will know more.

And welcome to Zelda Classic!
    Last edited by CJC; 02-05-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.54%
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeofjudgement View Post
    Hi there,
    This definitely requires scripting.

Damaging Water
    This can be done without scripting. If you have the rule 'Damage Combos Work On Layer 1 And 2' turned on, you can just the layer 1/2 damage combos over the water combos.

Streaming water to swim against, physically not just visually or rather is there a better way to have a smoother working Water Stream then via Combocycling?
    You'll need a script for this one.

Talking to people.
    Readable signs.
    Check the PureZC Script Database. There should be a signpost script and a Real NPC script.

You may need someone to script this for you if possible.

Again, you'll need a script for this.

There is a script like that in PureZC's script database.

The PureZC Script database also has a script like this.

I'm not sure if there is a script like this at PureZC, but it never hurts to check there.

Now here, I don't know what you're talking about. Could you please explain it a little better?

Are you doing anything wrong here? If so, you may want to read that article more thoroughly.

The ZC Wiki should have articles about these.

I'm not sure. I don't think I've tried it yet.

This just loads the selected CSet to CSet 9

This only appears if the Interpolated Fading Quest Rule is checked.

It's basically used for subscreen elements.

You can't scroll to CSets 12-14 for some reason.

There are 2 ways to makes these; 1. Use damage combos; or 2. Ask someone to script it for you.

It has something to do with when you select multiple tiles in the tile editor.

This isn't implemented yet. If you want to make your own, script it.

Again, not implemented yet. If you want to make your own, script it.

Again, not implemented yet. But there is a script for it in the PureZC Script Database.
    Last edited by XMuppetSB; 02-05-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Thread Information