User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which style of Sideview Scrolling would you prefer?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • The style at the beginning of the video, where the screen moves upwards when Link jumps.

4 57.14%
  • The style in the second half of the video, no Y move.

3 42.86%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sideview Scrolling Implementation

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.73%

Sideview Scrolling Implementation

Please watch this video and vote on the poll.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z0VMeiqwOE

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Option 1, Vertical Scrolling Enabled.

It was a tough choice based on your goal, but if you ever want to make more than a classic Mario-esque (such as a Mario 3-esque), you'll want vertical scrolling too.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    50.53%
    Screen moves upward is a better choice, gives opportunities for vertical style levels, much like DKC2 and DKC3 made popular.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.73%
    Like I mentioned in the comments of the video, there are some problems with ZC doing collision on the Y axis in any interval other than 16 when it comes to moving the collision. That might change in future builds, I don't know since I don't do the base coding. The X axis however, doesn't have that limitation for some reason (I think..). Another thing is, although I'm sure I can probably hammer it out eventually when I spend more than 5 minutes trying, when Link goes over the 64 mark of the Y coordinates he continues only going towards the top of the screen. Everything needs to be reset back to center of the screen, and that means reassigning all the collision, graphics, etc. to that spot.. Which is all very feasible with the way my scripts are written. I just messed up the math a little when I tried it so everything was 16 pixels off for the collision but the graphics moved only.. Then I got tired and had to call it a night because I got bored.
    Although the platforms will only be at 16 block intervals on the Y axis, I don't think that's something the player would really notice that much.
    Thanks for your feedback. I'll design some more content based on the Y moving idea in the near future, hopefully.
    For now though.. I finally got Starcraft II!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    50.53%
    Well, those are very good points, we may not be ready for y-axis side scrolling. Than I would suggest option 2 over option 1 in that case.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.11%
    I saw vertical scrolling in ZC... I seen a full fledged Z2 and Z3 scrolling script. And I even saw the same person changed ZC's screen perspective and even with that I saw him make a functional raycast script in ZC.

In short: vertical scrolling can be done, I saw it working properly. But maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem at hand. But regardless, at least you have a horizontal scrolling script. Good job on making it work!

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Heh. Cool.

I would go with #2 since the engine doesn't handle the first one as easily.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.73%
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I saw vertical scrolling in ZC... I seen a full fledged Z2 and Z3 scrolling script. And I even saw the same person changed ZC's screen perspective and even with that I saw him make a functional raycast script in ZC.

In short: vertical scrolling can be done, I saw it working properly. But maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem at hand. But regardless, at least you have a horizontal scrolling script. Good job on making it work!
    Like I said, I did already do it, I just had the collision misaligned, and gave up for the night because I was tired. It'll be done on the next day I put effort into it. :)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.73%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    Heh. Cool.

I would go with #2 since the engine doesn't handle the first one as easily.
    I actually steer towards option 2 also because of the gap between the collision on the Y scrolling. 2 would be good for levels with 'less gravity' and/or a different game altogether or something, but the way that Link moves without the scrolling is actually better, because he can climb up things and is never hindered by the Y axis collision limitation at all.
    I just got Starcraft II and a controller for my laptop and started accounts on a few other games, so I am actually going to be taking it very slow with ZC for awhile. When I get back into it I'll try to make as much progress as I can and complete some sidescrolling levels and everything.

And about the overhead view Z3 scrolling and everything, I knew that too.
    My scripts for sidescrolling could be converted to be used for overhead view in a minute or two.. In fact, overhead view is much easier to deal with because there's no movement of Link's Y coordinates when he jumps, and the edge of the screen, all I have to do is deactivate the screen's movement when Link reaches a certain point on the map.
    Last edited by Zim; 01-07-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.73%
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    I just got Starcraft II and a controller for my laptop and started accounts on a few other games, so I am actually going to be taking it very slow with ZC for awhile. When I get back into it I'll try to make as much progress as I can and complete some sidescrolling levels and everything.
    I'm done with the Campaign on Starcraft II so it's back to ZC and multiplayer for awhile.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD_4gsn4duE
    Here's a quick little video of the progress I made today. It shows how the screen centers Link and the level around him when he changes elevation, and the scripts are now set up so that the levels can continue upwards for as long as desired. So some levels will be type 1 with no vertical climbing, others will be going upwards and sideways.

Thread Information