Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.48%

Layer Functions in ZC 3.0

This isn't so much a feature request as an idea on how to handle Layers after the tear-down. Since the tear-down won't be beginning for quite a while, this won't be important until later. It is, however, a core mechanic of ZQuest, which is why I felt it best to bring it up now before the tear-down begins.

I think it would be beneficial to redesign the way layers handle information.

Currently, the zero, one, and two layers are hard-coded to be the only ones that transmit their combo data to the engine, while layers three, four, five, and six strictly display their tiles. Also, 'overhead' positioning is also hard-coded into layers three and four for Link and ground enemies, and five and six for flying enemies.

I believe these things should be handled globally instead of being locked features.

Here's my thought:

Each layer would acquire identical function, and could be 'radio button' flagged as a combo layer or a tile layer. Combo layers transmit their combo information to the engine, meaning they can affect the player's screen. Tile layers simply display their image. Each layer would also have a 'minimum z-height' that decides when a L-Object or E-Object should be placed on that layer.

In addition, this menu would allow the player to set Link's Z-Height. His Z-Height is used in conjunction with the minimum layer heights to determine which combos affect him, and which layer he is drawn on. The default Link Z-Height is the same as the minimum Z-Height for layer 2.
    The enemy editor would also require a similar addition, allowing the quest maker to specify just which layers should influence the enemies.

I also suppose scripting changes to these settings would be possible, although it would be along the same lines as 'snatching combos' from other screens: make sure you know what you're doing.

EDIT EDIT: Strike that, this would spew glitches throughout old quests. Instead, being able to set a 'Link Combo Layer' range, with a low and high value that determines which combo layers affect him (Default 0-6), and a 'Link Draw Layer' which dictates which layer Link is drawn on would maintain backwards functionality.

ORIGINAL EDIT: OH! Related tangently, the ability to set the amount of increase on the z-axis necessary to display a y-shift. This is hard-coded too and would be the primary impediment of using these layer adjustments to make a game-boy style game.
    Last edited by CJC; 12-24-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Thread Information