User Tag List

Thread: Changing Link Sprites to custom sprites?

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    50.71%

Changing Link Sprites to custom sprites?

I found the link sprite editor in Zquest that allows you to change link's sprites, but is there a way to import .PNG or .GIF for link's sprites?
    or at least convert a gif/png to .til so that i can import it?
    i have this sprite sheet that i want to use (below), but don't know how to import the sprites, and i'm not sure how to do this.
    can't find any tutorials on this because it seems nobody cares anymore.

(creator: Koh)

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    It's not that nobody cares anymore, it's that the latest version of the game has been in development for a very, VERY long time and no one has had the chance to update the instructions. The new version also incorporated a new "C++ like" scripting system that literally gave quest developers the option to add any feature they can dream up, so it's become quite difficult to get all the options straight.

What you'll want to do is 'grab' the tiles using the built-in tile editor. Go to Quest -> Graphics -> Tiles, find a spot that is empty, and click "Grab". You want to click the "File" button in the window that pops up, select the file extension (there is support for GIFs and BITMAPs, but not PNGs), and then select your file.

Before grabbing, ensure the following is in order:

1.) Make sure the tiles are aligned properly. In your image editing program, you should be able to completely conceal the first tile with a 16x16 pixel square brush that is flush with the corners of the image.

2.) Make sure the palette of the image is in the same order as your quest file. The grabber is not sensitive to color, and so grabs the pixel by the color order of the palette. For example, if the file's palette has green as the first color, but your quest palette has purple, all the green squares will turn purple when the grabber snatches them. Arrange your file's palette in the same order to ensure you do not have to recolor all of your tiles in the program.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: OH! Yeah, once the tiles are in your tileset, then select them using the custom sprite options menu that you found.

EDIT EDIT: Also, you'll need to break the grab up into several smaller grabs, because of the size of your sheet. The grabber can only import about 128 tiles at a time.
    Last edited by CJC; 12-22-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    50.71%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    2.) Make sure the palette of the image is in the same order as your quest file. The grabber is not sensitive to color, and so grabs the pixel by the color order of the palette. For example, if the file's palette has green as the first color, but your quest palette has purple, all the green squares will turn purple when the grabber snatches them. Arrange your file's palette in the same order to ensure you do not have to recolor all of your tiles in the program.
    how do i know which palettes i should be matching up? there's a couple different ones in Quest > Graphics > Palettes
    thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Link's palette is Palette 6 under 'Main'.

EDIT: Actually...

Make sure the 'transparent' color is the first in your gif's palette (on the end of your graphics program).
    Then, just grab the palette from the image before you grab the tiles.
    I'll look up the palette grabbing process in a second.

EDIT EDIT: Yeah, if you make sure the transparent color (20% gray in your image) is the first in the palette of your image, and that the image only has sixteen colors total, you can do the following.

1.) Go to Quest -> Graphics -> Palettes -> Main. Select Palette 6 and hit 'Grab'. Now open your image and snag the palette.

2.) Go to Quest -> Graphics -> Tiles. Grab the tiles as I described in the previous post. No recoloring should be necessary.

While in the tile menu, pressing + or - on the keyboard (Number pad, actually, so if you're using a laptop you must use the number lock) will change the displayed palette. When it says CSET 6, it is displaying Link's palette on the tiles. If you set the display palette to 6 and grab the tiles, they should look identical to your image.
    Last edited by CJC; 12-22-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    50.71%
    You F***ing rock dude, thanks so much! it worked perfectly!

Thread Information