User Tag List

View Poll Results: What should it be called?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy Classic

26 70.27%
  • Final Fantasy Regenesis

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy Catastrophe

2 5.41%
  • A play on words like "Beginning Reality" or something...

5 13.51%
  • Other (Don't use FF in the title)

4 10.81%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy Classic?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.1%
    Quote Originally Posted by Beldaran View Post
    Gleeok, have you started yet? I have an OpenGL/SDL 2D implementation for a game engine that I started. It's just graphics and sprite rendering, but it might give you an initial boost. It's in C++.
    I remember my days experimenting with SDL. Aren't all the cool kids these days using C# with XNA?

BTW, @ctrl-alt-delete, I hate to say it with regard to someone else's trademark, but name-brand recognition is very important to building a community around something. I wonder if we'd even be here having this little discussion if @Phantom Menace decided to call ZC Elf Story or Princess Quest or some such.
    Last edited by Glenn the Great; 11-16-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.24%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn the Great View Post
    I remember my days experimenting with SDL. Aren't all the cool kids these days using C# with XNA?
    Who cares what the cool kids are doing? OpenGL is cross platform and super awesome. Plus, unmanaged code is good for the programmer's soul. :)

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.02%
    Hell yeah, I'd be interested.

Need to be careful of the evil forces of Square Enix, though. They are pretty quick on the draw with shutting down fan projects. Particularly when it relates to Chrono Trigger.
    Have a back up name or whatever, in case it comes to that

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.32%
    BTW, @ctrl-alt-delete, I hate to say it with regard to someone else's trademark, but name-brand recognition is very important to building a community around something. I wonder if we'd even be here having this little discussion if @Phantom Menace decided to call ZC Elf Story or Princess Quest or some such.
    If you give it a different name and just bill it as a Final Fantasy clone, I don't think there'd be a huge disconnect. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.24%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    Call it Penultimate Imaginary Adventure!

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.77%

Trust me, I completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post

Need to be careful of the evil forces of Square Enix, though. They are pretty quick on the draw with shutting down fan projects. Particularly when it relates to Chrono Trigger.
    That'd probably be best.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    If you give it a different name and just bill it as a Final Fantasy clone, I don't think there'd be a huge disconnect. Maybe I'm wrong.
    There will be. I've made the same argument for ZC a thousand times.

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Quote Originally Posted by Beldaran View Post
    Gleeok, have you started yet? I have an OpenGL/SDL 2D implementation for a game engine that I started. It's just graphics and sprite rendering, but it might give you an initial boost. It's in C++.
    Thank you for the offer. (+10 for using OpenGL over DX) :)

I actually have most of the engine code assembled together using OpenGL for rendering, truetype2 for fonts, Fmod or Bass for sound, and stb_image for image loading/saving. It is not built on top of any library - it is simply required that there be a back-end windowing library handling low-level input/windowing/context creation. Right now I am using GLFW since it is super easy to use, but adding in SDL is trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post

I'm not entirely sure, but I thought that this was a publicity stunt, where he wanted to stop working on it after he over-hyped the whole thing for years... I may be wrong though. Yes, it is a problem. Square Enix is STILL re-releasing the same game after 20 years and show no signs of slowing down the money train. If someone were to have an open version of it to play for free I'm sure there would be a problem...

Very true.
    It's like when fry goes back in time to area 51 and plows his grandmother, thus becoming his own grandfather. I mean you'd have to do it, right?

...An obvious FF game/clone without "Final Fantasy" in the title it sounds a little weird. - Person A: "Hey, Check out Adventure Quest Game". Person B: "Oh, what is it?" Person A: "It's Final Fantasy".. O_o
    Last edited by Gleeok; 11-16-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.02%
    So what game would you base the initial skeleton off of? Will you be aiming for it to be able to duplicate the full range of NES-SNES games? I would say any of the games from 3 (NES) to 6 would be a good place to start.. but the original game would be great, too. It definitely needs to take a different approach than RPG Maker does, with more of a focus on duplicating things about FF that people like.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    The original idea (which is what some of it does already) is to store game data in a generic way in the style of FF, Dragon Quest, or Wizardry for example (these are all very similar actually) and then the actual implementation of game-specific code is done through scripts. This is hard to explain so imagine in ZC where enemy AI and movement are not hard-coded. You would create an enemy "Octorock on even more crack" that, say, you wanted to shoot 73 fireballs when it died. You set it's attributes to give it more HP or whatever and then edit the script, which might be something like:
    Code:
    class SuperCracktorock : public Cracktorock
    {
      //only need to override the on-death function
      void OnDeath()
      {
         foreach(i to 73)
           eweapon.create_from_angle(FIREBALL, this.pos, to_radians(i * 5.f)); //or whatever it is..
      }
    };
    I suppose an initial success would be a fully playable and editable FF1 clone based off the PSX and GBA versions. After that then we'll see about more complex event systems and cutscene/scene management. That's the idea.

[edit] In other words; I'm not entirely sure since it's in the design phase so anything could be subject to change at any given time. But yes, I hope it will not resemble rpg maker at all.
    Last edited by Gleeok; 11-17-2012 at 01:34 AM.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.3%
    If such a project were to be spawned open source I would not be opposed to contributing whichever the language/technology. Developing for games tend to be more exhilarating than financial databases.

Aren't all the cool kids these days using C# with XNA?
    If I recall appropriately XNA was killed. Microsoft's recommendations were to go native with C++/DirectX or browser with HTML5/JavaScript. Though I believe MonoGame spun off from XNA to provide an open source ability to continue using .NET with the ease of XNA.

Thread Information