User Tag List

Thread: Support for Linux on arm devices and another platforms

majaczek

Support for Linux on arm devices and another platforms

I'm happy that ZC Beta has ability to work on linux, However it's still not open source.
    It would be really nice to support ARM devices which hold a system being a distribution of linux.
    It's still a linux so the porting would be almost only recompiling the source with different platform target (well it may need fixes, so code is compatible between little endian and big endian devices - as it is major difference between ARM and x86 platform)

I would be happy if porting to support ARM devices with Linux, because i have one - Nokia N900 - it's supported by GCC, SDL, Allegro, WxWidgets, QT and many more, it has resolution of 800x480 which is totally enough for zelda classic, and has physical qwerty keyboard. Not only I will be happy, all nokia N900 owners, even all NIT devices owners (which N900 is one off), also those who has linux based tablets (however they may need onscreen keyboard) or even inviduals which rooted their non-NIT phones and managed to install Ubuntu or another linux distribution.

PS: if it comes, I could help test ARM-related ZC beta bugs. I would instantly download a beta that supports my precious phone. I would not only get better performance than just using classic console emulators with original zelda roms, but also I will be capable running all those custom quests. Not only me but all people with similair devices will be able to.

PPS: well I don't know what is implementation of ZASM but if it's really low-level and transparent it may be the greatest obstacle to implement ARM-compatible Zelda Classic. Once platform "linux system on ARM devices" get it support people may work on another systems port of ARM devices. but Linux/ARM is both most crucial and easiest to port between tablets and mobile devices.

NOTICE: I know it's not suggestion part of board, but those are closed and my "suggestion" isn't any of those which would affect game mechanism, so it's not suggestion of the game itself but kindly support request for a platform which is a hand away to support. Do your game engine as you want, I know some features must be delayed to produce versions which are able to be tested gently, but just please support my platform. I hope I don't get any warnings or restrictions because of this post, and i posted it, because it has to be done, it's not just a random suggestion.

Is this the end?
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.93%
    I'll see what I can do, but it's hard enough to get it working on x86. It may just have to wait for a rewrite.

Thread Information