User Tag List

Thread: Boss Triggers, or Room State Carryovers?

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.77%

Boss Triggers, or Room State Carryovers?

Okay, I know that these are the two ways to trigger secrets on other screens and ultimately, do "events" in ZC. I know the old, boss flag tricks was what was used pre-2.5 to change towns between dungeons etc. I understand that it is dependent on the level number of the boss killed, and the screen which has that trigger which must have a d-map with the same level number as the killed boss (and a trigger enemy on the screen you want the secret, and the "dungeon boss, enemy> secrets" screen flags checked).

Now, I have only read about it, and never attempted it myself. I have a question about it though: Could you have trigger enemies on more than one screen to use the Boss Trigger method to trigger secrets on multiple screen? Lets say, you kill the 'Level 1' Boss, and you have triggers on the 'Level 1' d-map on screens (3,4,) (7,3), and (5,6). Now, if I go to any of these screens with the trigger enemy, will it not only trigger that screen's secrets, but all three, or must each screen be visited individually? Well, I'm getting a little ahead of myself here. Can boss flag triggered secrets work on multiple screens? So~ this will be a determining factor in the design of a dungeon. I'd rather not even bother drawing it, it I don't know for sure (since either way, I might have to re-draw it).

Now, for RSCs. To my knowledge, they can only trigger one screen from the trigger screen, right? Also, they do not trigger permanent secrets from, say, a dungeon d-map to an overworld d-map... right? I know that boss trigger'd secrets can be made permanent since you still have to visit the screen for the secrets to trigger once the boss has been killed*. You can use a secret tile perm-trigger with boss secrets. With RCS, the screen is triggered remotely from the trigger screen, so secrets may not be permanent given the d-map type. See what I'm saying?

So, it boils down to if A) Boss flag triggers can be used for multiple screens, and B) if RSCs can be made permanent from DNG to OW maps AND C) If RSCs can be used to trigger multiple screens. I hope this post was understandable. I know it may be a bit hard to follow.

* Which in turn answers my first question, since you must visit each screen individually, I just want to make sure.

Thank you.

noswanson1982

I tried something similiar...

Yeah, I had created a first dungeon and created my own boss (a modified Goriya that shoots fireballs and moves dangerously fast). However, in the room before the boss, I tried to set up a challenge where after you defeated the enemies in the room, a portal would open up in that room AND in the first room (to get back to the boss easily). However, the problem arose in the fact that I set my first dungeon up as a dungeon. Dungeons can not remember secrets permanently.

And so, whenever you leave the room, the secrets you put in automatically reset (and you have to enter them in again). This could potentially affect your ability to do anything with Room State Carryovers. Cause as soon as you leave the room to go to the next room (that you have configured to have your room state transfer over to), the secrets will reset and you'll arrive at your destination with the secrets not working.

In short, from now on, whenever I create a dungeon, I'm going to specify it as a different type than dungeon and try to create my portals again.

I guess it would be possible in using boss triggers to trigger events in other rooms. Makes sense enough being that the boss is permanently gone... however, if you can only transfer room state to one room at a time, then the fjirst room would work, but subsequent rooms would not work (due to the limitations of specifying it as dungeon).

I'm sure with scripting you could have an event get triggered based on whether you have a certain number of triforce pieces or something to trigger OW events from within dungeons. RSCs won't work unless they are permanent, so they would probably have to be triggered directly from the boss room itself to have any bearing in the OW.

I am so wishing that dungeons CAN remember secrets so I can create a portal to the boss (in the event that the player gets his/her ass kicked by my boss :p ). I was reduced to just creating a short cut to the boss (but still kept the integrity of the fortress in tact so that even with the short cut, they can't get anywhere unless they've been throughout the whole fortress at least once).

Again, probably the best solution would be to specify a different type for your dungeons. The mapping system might be a little different, but you'd have the full abilities of RSC too.

Nathan

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.77%
    I have a theory for an easier solution, but I have not tested it, so it could be total BS. Just make your dungeon an overworld style d-map, and for rooms with dungeon map things like shutters, and locked doors, have those rooms as "NES style dungeon" via Screen Data. This will allow secrets to be triggered permanently, in your "dungeon" (since, as far as I know, RSCs work on the 'overworld') but just make sure that your design doesn't have a trigger room also be a dungeon type room. This might cause some problems with bosses in general though, since they might need to be on a dungeon type map. Well at any rate, it should work for your warp.

Alternately, you could have some sort of warp set up to take you to an identical "overworld" type screen, and trigger the secrets from there. I -think- this is what Freedom does in Swansong Genesis, but don't quote me on that.

Thread Information