10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%

Disney kills Lucas Arts.

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

...cancels all current projects, games, and lays off some 150 employees.

Powerful, the dark side is.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

How many licks to get to the center Chris Miller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.91%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

...cancels all current projects, games, and lays off some 150 employees.

Powerful, the dark side is.

The last face George Lucas will see.
    *sigh...
    And thus ends the Star Wars franchise. I wonder if it would be out of line to drive a manure spreader into the Disney CEO's office. They spread enough bullshit around that he might not even notice.

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Official AGN Discord Channel

Official ZC Dev Discord Channel

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42%
    Its only the gaming division is being closed. The part that makes movies is still going to be open. And yes, that means we're still going to see post-RotJ movies.

Still, I don't see what the risk was. LucasArts has had good games over the years (and some flops, but not EVERY game can be a hit seller) and making them into something that pretty much only exists in name only JUST so you can use that name sounds pretty stupid to me.
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.24%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    LucasArts hasn't made a good game in 10 years. Good riddance.

I was a massive, slobbering fan of their games all through the 90's, but they truly started to suck. The Force Unleashed? More like The Crap Unleashed. No Battlefront 3? No X-Wing and Tie Fighter remakes? Screw that useless company.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    17.83%
    Beldaran pretty much sums up my exact feelings on the situation. I think all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about Lucasarts closing is all based on nostalgia for their heyday. Hell, several IPs that Lucasarts had have proven that they can survive in a post-Lucasarts world already, so it's not like the death of Lucasarts means the death of the IPs we've come to know and love. For instance, I'm a huge fan of Sam & Max, but despite many attempts by Lucasarts to make a sequel, they ultimately failed and the project was handed over to Telltale Games, and I think the results were great. I love the new Sam & Max episodes, and they have nothing to do with the company that original produced the franchise. And I know Lucasarts produced a lot of fine Star Wars games, but we all know that there will be no shortage of Star Wars games anytime soon, whether Lucasarts is involved or not.

More generally, though, I don't see why everyone is so upset with Disney and acting like they're this evil empire out to destroy beloved franchises. I remember similar moaning and groaning when Disney acquired Marvel, and what did we get after the purchase? The frickin' Avengers movie! Yeah, Disney totally ruined that movie with their influence. I guess I kind of understand the sentiment, but come on, simply being a giant corporation doesn't automatically prove that Disney is evil. Despite all the complaining, I think Disney has proven time and time again that it knows what it is friggin' doing.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.11%
    I still remember people calling this out back when Disney acquired LucasArts. It's sad to see the gaming division go, even if it didn't have A+ games for quite a while. I still remember wasting hours of my life away playing Dark Forces and Jedi Knight, and having quality fun with em.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.24%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    I love the new Sam & Max episodes, and they have nothing to do with the company that original produced the franchise.
    Actually, Telltale Games was founded by and comprised mostly of former LucasArts employees from the 90's, so justice was done.

How many licks to get to the center Chris Miller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.91%

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Official AGN Discord Channel

Official ZC Dev Discord Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.51%
    I'm cool with this. 1313 looked really nice visually, but everything else about it just seemed like "Uncharted: Star Wars Edition", with generic looking main character (see this article). Besides, now we might have some companies actually produce the things we've really wanted from Star Wars for a while.

I do think Disney should have kept the things that were successful and were going well. Still sad about them cancelling Clone Wars, it was getting really really good seasons 4 and 5.
    Creator of ZURPG, a Zelda game that's influenced by D&D and JRPGs to bring together a unique gameplay system combined with roleplaying.

Thread Information