Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.12%

Re: Pirates vs. the U.S. Navy

I find the whole concept of the pirates taking "revenge" to be ridiculous. Revenge for what? They attacked us, we fought back. If you're gonna loot ships and take hostages, don't cry about it when people start fighting back.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.5%

Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    I find the whole concept of the pirates taking "revenge" to be ridiculous. Revenge for what? They attacked us, we fought back. If you're gonna loot ships and take hostages, don't cry about it when people start fighting back.
    Best way I can think to describe it is as "gang mentality". Gang One attacks the Gang Two. Gang Two gets pissed, retaliates. Gang One says "we're going to get revenge for them attacking us!" It's a neverending ordeal.

And I'm guessing someone's going to say "Thanks for pointing out the obvious Jerome. What's next? The sun's hot? Water's wet? You could be John Madden's replacement with those kind of obvservation skills." Just thought I'd beat someone to the punch on that.
    If at first you don't succeed, RETRY RETRY again!

"Ducks eat for free at Subway!" ~Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    Don't just snark to snark as that makes the baby Jesus cry.

-m.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.45%

What do they want revenge for? Do basic reading from crappy sources and they have plenty of reasons to be pissed.

• When they were under a totalitarian regime, the US turned a blind eye because at least it wasn't communism. When the Cold War was over, we left them in turmoil.
    • Hundreds of ships are illegally fishing Somalia's waters, and no one in the world is doing anything about it.
    • Countries used Somalia as a nuclear waste dump, but no one cared.

In some ways, the pirates are the only navy Somalia has. At this point, they feel like any ship in their waters might be hostile, and I don't blame them.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.61%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

They aren't defending their country though. They are kidnapping people and demanding money.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.12%

Okay, you know what, we did a lot of stupid things during the Cold War. But for fuck's sake, the world was on the brink of nuclear annihilation. Maybe we acted a little rashly, and screwed a few people over, but we had bigger fish to fry. One wrong move, and the world would've become a cinder pile, and none of this would make a damn bit of difference. Granted, it was partially our fault, but what were we supposed to do?

Honestly, I'm just sick of this whole "sins of our fathers" crap. Countries holding a grudge against us for things that this nation did before I was even born? Take Iran - I mean, WTF!? Whatever we did against them, it was decades ago, but they're still pissed off at us and won't let it go. Though okay, I know the real deal is that they don't want any possibility of the West being glamorized, for fear of it fueling a youth uprising that would put those fundamentalist nuts in their place.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.61%

the real deal is that they don't want any possibility of the West being glamorized, for fear of it fueling a youth uprising that would put those fundamentalist nuts in their place.
    Better be careful. Whenever I point out that religion is causing problems all over the globe, the god-bots start screaming and calling me names.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.12%

Yeah, well my criticisms of religion are more tactful. At any rate, let's face it, I'm right. I mean, what was a major driving force in the 1979 revolution? It was a reaction to the perceived "Westernization" of Iran. Which reminds me - found these pictures from Iran before the revolution. Absolutely crazy.

http://www.leenks.com/link167949.html

Karate guys for cash. Aegix Drakan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.7%

Which reminds me - found these pictures from Iran before the revolution. Absolutely crazy.
    ARE.
    YOU.
    FREAKING.
    SERIOUS?

...0_o Uhh...They've taken quite a big step backwards since then, no? like...a massive step.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    AGN is not meant for people who have lives. Come back home, turn the lights off and stare in awe at the glow that comes from the monitor.
    Do you enjoy challenging RPGs? Do you enjoy dark storylines? You'll like my game. Go on, it's not very long.
    You can download my game for free right here!
    Feedback on it would be nice. It'll help with future projects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.45%

Internet sources as reliable as the one that supplied the images (in fact comments on the linked page) indicate that those images were propaganda distributed by a failing government desperate to bring foreigners (and their money) into the country. There was one city that was progressive and rich and the rest of the country was dirt farmers. I was urged to verify this in wikipedia but what do you know, there's very little information to support such a claim on an encyclopedia that can be edited by anyone!

They aren't defending their country though. They are kidnapping people and demanding money.
    Those cursed colonists aren't defending a country! They're just tipping a bit of tea into the water!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.61%

Quote Originally Posted by AtmaWeapon View Post
    Those cursed colonists aren't defending a country! They're just tipping a bit of tea into the water!
    This gets the award for the worst analogy in history.

Thread Information