Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.66%

FF13 is coming. Does it matter?

Does the Final Fantasy brand hold any cache anymore? I'm pretty sure FF13 is going to be a day one purchase for me, but sometimes I have to stop and ask myself why that is. Sure the game is pretty, but the entire game is one big linear path. Then again, so was FFX, and I liked FFX. I guess the thing I dislike the most is the idea that you don't control your teammates. That evokes bad memories of Star Ocean 3 and, in Gabe's words, being raped by lizards. I understand that this is a very different game and that you do give your teammates general commands like 'use magic' or 'heal'. But I still like to be able to tell all the party members exactly what they should be doing, even if that is a bit unrealistic.

So what do you guys think? Does this look like a day one purchase, or am I giving SquareEnix more credit then they are due these days?

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.57%
    Personally, I couldn't even sit through 12. To me, the character design was bland and the gameplay repetitive and tedious. Granted, with all Final Fantasy games you can expect(and forgive) some repetitiveness. I did find the battle system to be pretty intuitive at first, but when boiled down over time it started to remind me of how an MMORPG operates, differing only in that you select your commands in a menu based style.(And I guess program the AI of your partners.)

Now, more to the subject, I am thinking of getting Final Fantasy 13 just to give Square Enix a last ditch attempt at carrying my interest in what I consider to be a derailed series. However, my doubts are significant.

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.89%
    It is another nail in the coffin. It sells the idea that the golden age of gaming has come and gone. It looks like a playable movie. right down the the linearity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    5.68%
    I don't think I've enjoyed a Final Fantasy game since 9. But I'll probably end up giving it a try.

Karate guys for cash. Aegix Drakan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.89%
    I'll see how much my FF loving friend likes it.

But...I'll probably pick it up anyway. Probably after I play Crono Cross and Legend of Dragoon. I really want to play those two games, but I've got a backlog to slog through...
    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    AGN is not meant for people who have lives. Come back home, turn the lights off and stare in awe at the glow that comes from the monitor.
    Do you enjoy challenging RPGs? Do you enjoy dark storylines? You'll like my game. Go on, it's not very long.
    You can download my game for free right here!
    Feedback on it would be nice. It'll help with future projects.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.74%
    I loved Final Fantasy XII. It was the only Final Fantasy game past 6 that I've replayed all the way through recently. I'll be honest, though, I'm not at all interested or excited about XIII. I don't really finish new games that often anymore. I beat Ghostbusters and Metal Gear Solid 4, but I think I've actually finished a new game since before my last deployment (Heavenly Sword). I'm playing Dragon Age currently and its really good, but I'll be honest...I don't think I'm going to pick up XIII until after I hear how it is from my friends.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.53%
    I didn't enjoy 12 that much (I still beat it), but I've heard good things about XIII from friends who have played the Japanese version. So this will still be a day one purchase for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.72%
    I'm not sure, this one is going to be a rental at first. It seems overly complex and too much of a deviation from the series. I've also heard there are no towns.

Part of what gets me hooked on an RPG is customizing my characters and mastering all of the abilities, finding new equipment, etc. I *loved* FF12, I loved most of the characters, the fast-paced battle system, the world, the moogle design, and the hunts. But it seems like 13 is more like 10, and I hated 10.

This is also coming from a person who actually liked 11, and is excited for 14. Again, the customization thing.
    Link to the Past Tileset for ZC available here: http://www.filespace.org/bam200308/lttptileset2.4.zip

"Lie? Me? Never. The truth is far too much fun."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.88%
    Eh, I've enjoyed most of the Final Fantasy titles. 13's linearity doesn't concern me much. X was incredibly linear and I really enjoyed it. Freedom is nice, but not every game has to be a sandbox. The gameplay iis, I've heard, very reminiscent of Chrono Trigger, and that's one of the single best RPGs ever made. If the plot is good and the story well told, it'll be worth buying.

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.89%
    It's not even the "linearity" that bothers me so much, but just cause you're not dropped into a world map with no direction does not make it "linear". It's just that new games essentially fall into two groups: FPSs, or interactive movies :/

I'm not going to be too critical, or cynical till I play it (which I likely will) but I do hope there is more game than movie. I'm sure there is no world map. What we'll get it more likely going to resemble FF12's way of doing it.

"In order to allow the player to become absorbed in the drama of the storytelling and the new and exciting world of Cocoon and be drawn to the characters without getting distracted or lost we have deliberately used a linear game design for the introduction sections so they can be enjoyed in the same manner as watching a film."
    ;~;

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1070793p1.html

Thread Information