Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.09%

Re: Tattoos?

If it wouldn't look bad to prospective employers, I wouldn't mind a bunch of random circutry down my entire left arm. Maybe similar stuff around my right eye, if that's even possible.

For something...hidden, I'd probably like something written in D'ni on my back.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.97%

Personally, I fail to see the purpose of tattoos. You're basically mutilating your body to put on a design. I really don't see any reason for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    91.7%

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Personally, I fail to see the purpose of tattoos. You're basically mutilating your body to put on a design. I really don't see any reason for it.
    No offense Russ but you're still pretty young and your opinion on certain things can and will change over the years.

With that being said. Do you know how a tattoo is done? You aren't mutilating your body to have it done. There are lots of reasons for getting a tattoo. Someone might get a portrait of a family member that passed away or of their first born. I might get a picture of my dog somewhere when she gets older. She played a big part in my recovery after surgery and I've had her since she was only a few weeks old. Some people get designs they sketched or a symbol that means something to them.

I had determination tattooed on my back because of things I was going through and about to go through. It was a personal reminder to keep pushing on and that I could make it through everything.

Three year old picture before my back cleared up. Blech.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtmaWeapon View Post
    It means taking the fart pipe off of your stupid ricemobile and gently accelerating after stopping.

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.35%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

EDIT: ( @ Russ: ) To some people though, that's like saying "Aww, why'd you mod your Wii? You ruined a perfectly good Gaming Console's Virgin authenticity."

It's art. You get to be a walking museum of pride.

I always wanted to ask - What sort of equipment do they use to tattoo a person, anyway? What is the nature of the electronics, if any?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    91.7%

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTiger View Post
    I always wanted to ask - What sort of equipment do they use to tattoo a person, anyway? What is the nature of the electronics, if any?
    Google gave me this for a result.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtmaWeapon View Post
    It means taking the fart pipe off of your stupid ricemobile and gently accelerating after stopping.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    You're basically mutilating your body to put on a design.
    Does your mom have her ears pierced?

Did you know God invented circumcision?

People get braces to mutilate their jaws into a shape that is more pleasing to our society. God created you to have gnarled, often missing teeth. Humans have sinned by mutilating themselves to fix that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.3%

Here's a few pics of my most recent:

Everyone likes it so far, including myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.91%
    The original reason for circumcision was for cleanliness because we didn't bath but MAYBE once a few months. "Noble" families about once a month. The circumcision kept one from getting any infections down there. It had a purpose to it actually. Kind of like not eating pork originlly wasn't because God said we shouldn't, it's more to do because it would kill you if not cooked thoroughly. But it's tasty now ain't it?

Tattoo equipment is basically a solenoid that pushes a rod down until it makes contact that shorts the voltage away from the solenoid, so the rod goes back up. Since the voltage is still applied it starts pulling the rod back down immediately, thus repeating the process. How fast? Depends on the voltage. That "rod" is the arm that you connect the needle shaft to. With a speed of around 3,000 strokes per minute for line work. So if someone is doing single needle work, that's 3,000 sticks in you. Say if someone is filling in some tribal and using a 13-magnum needle setup (13 needles side by side instead of being packed in a circle) you end up with 39,000 tiny little holes in you in a minute. But as far as Russ' concern with "mutilation", a proper tattoo doesn't go below about 5 layers of your skin.

Russ, since I know that you are religious and all, I thought I'd let you know what my brother got since he's along your same path as well. He got this symbol that one way read LIFE and when flipped upside down says DEATH, with some writing that circles it. When read with the writing it says the following:
    "The gift of God is eternal LIFE
    The wages of sin is DEATH"
    I thought it was rather cool since my brother really had no intentions of getting one until he had seen it, and then he said "I have to get that.". My friend Ramiro, who owns a tattoo shop, gave it to my brother for free. I wouldn't expect that from any other shops though, I've known the guy for about 8years, so...

Also, Russ, try to keep an open mind about some things that you find different that you encounter as you grow older. You don't have to like them to appreciate that some things will be for you and some things won't.

As far as the bible and tattoos are concerned, there are several things in the bible that points towards tattoos/permanent markings.
    The most common one that people misquote to use "against" tattoos is in Leviticus... I think...
    "Do not mark your body," the only thing is that that is only HALF of what is being said. The whole thing says
    "Do not mark your body for the dead for I am the Lord.". The reason being is that people used to mark their bodies to ward off evil spirits, but God said you do not need these false markings if you follow me. Well, basically.
    There's also a mentioning of somewhere that God has "all of our names written on his hand".
    In revalations, though I was told and shown all of Revalations is extremely confusing from one sentence to the next, there is a scripture refering to the second coming of Christ that says:
    "On His robe and on His thigh he shall have written 'King of Kings, and Lord of Lords'". I asked my brother about that one and he had me read a few sentences before and then after and then asked me what I thought it meant. I didn't have a clue after that. And neither did he, and he went to college to study it all.
    There's also mentioning that the people/slaves that Moses saved were all marked as well, but I'm not sure of the details too much on that. What I mean is, did those people mark themselves to be marked as (sorry if this is wrong labelling) "the Children of Israel" or did the pharoah mark the all as slaves. Anyways, it's in there somewhere, I just am not sure of which scripture and such since I haven't read very much of the bible at all.

Sorry all if this seems off topic, but I think it fits into the whole tattoo category especially since it, being tattoos, was under scrutiny.
    Now if you just see tattoos as "mutilating one's self" because you don't see/appreciate the art, and self expression, that a lot of it is, that's your opinion. Just don't condemn it because you'll have kids someday and they'll probably get it just in spite of you and it'll be something generally very tasteless just to dig the wound deeper to you. My mom actually laughed when I told her I had gotten a tattoo, she was like "no you didn't" since it was over the phone before I had gotten home.
    If at first you don't succeed, RETRY RETRY again!

"Ducks eat for free at Subway!" ~Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    Don't just snark to snark as that makes the baby Jesus cry.

-m.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

Quote Originally Posted by jerome View Post
    The original reason for circumcision was for cleanliness because we didn't bath but MAYBE once a few months.
    Why didn't god also have them cut off their ears? Those get dirty too. Why didn't they shave their heads? Hair gets disgusting. They better pull out those teeth too, because without modern dentistry those things are just going to rot.

Better yet, why didn't god tell them to bathe?

Your logic fails.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.08%

Quote Originally Posted by Beldaran View Post
    Why didn't god also have them cut off their ears?
    Because ears aren't used in the act of procreation.

Why didn't they shave their heads? Hair gets disgusting.
    See above.

They better pull out those teeth too...
    Messed up dirty teeth are still quite a bit more useful than no teeth.

Better yet, why didn't god tell them to bathe?
    You're right. Because thousands of years ago clean water could be wasted on hygiene rather than survival. That would be a great idea...

Your logic fails.
    Your narrowminded attempt to belittle someone who obviously put much thought into his post fails.

Thread Information