0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.04%

Dead rodents, excrement in peanut processor lead to recall

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/12/pea...all/index.html

Quote: The Texas Department of State Health Services on Thursday ordered the recall of all products ever shipped from the Peanut Corporation of America's plant in Plainview, Texas, after discovering dead rodents, rodent excrement and bird feathers in the plant.

--------------------------

At this point, I'd say it's time to stop eating ANY peanut products. It's TOTALLY appalling to read of such findings in a company that supplies our food products.

Honestly... how can those managers and those "in the know" do what they did... knowing they put peoples' health at risk?
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.7%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Re: Dead rodents, excrement in peanut processor lead to recall

Quote Originally Posted by Prrkitty View Post
    It's TOTALLY appalling to read of such findings in a company that supplies our food products.
    Anyone who has done any research (I have done some but not lots) into where our food comes from in America will start to obsessive compulsively buy only fresh fruit, vegetables, and lean meats raised on organic farms. The things you will learn as you plumb the depths of our nation's food industry will cause your soul to shrivel.

Anyhow, I'm glad I never eat peanut butter.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.04%

It's not just peanut butter... and the peanut paste produced at these companies. It's even the whole peanuts shipped from them also. I believe it's ANY products shipped from these companies.

Paul and I have started eating organic meat, milk, veggies and such... in hopes of eating "better for us" products.
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.27%

Wow - I've been following this story for a while, and I've gotta say, it's un-freaking-believable that they would knowingly sell tainted food.

Anyway, I must say I feel this has really been unfair for other peanut companies. Apparently the whole industry is being hit pretty hard by this, because people are simply avoiding peanut products altogether. I mean, that's really gotta suck for the companies that aren't directly affected by the contamination.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.88%

I buy Smart Balance all-natural peanut butter. I don't believe that is one of the companies affected, but it doesn't matter to me because I haven't bought peanut butter in a few months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.82%

It's just extra protein. I don't know what you people are freaking out about.

Do you think the "organic" factory where your peanut butter is made is completely free of rodents or insects? Perhaps the "organic" fields where the peanuts are grown are free of rodents and insects as well...

I think not.

I've seen lots of bugs in corn fields...and I used to pick corn when I was 11 and 12...if you think that none of those bugs ever end up in your stomach then you are an idiot.

Now, I do feel that limits are a good thing...and if the inspector sees gross violations it should indeed end in closure of the facility in question, just like it did in the recent media-circus case...

Some people, however, are acting like it's the end of the world for a human to eat a mouse turd. Get over it...you've eaten them. So have I...

There are more important things to be upset about.
    I'm stoned and I can still spell, so what's your excuse? ®

"I know you don't hook up the USB to the microwave ,you hook it up to the clock so you have a time stamp on the pictures" -my mother

<&Zaphod> If you were a blue folder full of important papers, where would you hide?
    <Majora_> C:\? my documents? downloads?

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.88%

Natural peanut butter tastes bettah~ I didn't say I think they come from cleaner factories or anything like that, I only said I don't think that it was involved in this recall.

Of course, I didn't read the article before I made my post. I thought rats were taking shits in the peanut butter jars or summat. So dead rodents and excrement were "found in the plant"—what does that mean? They were just laying around? I'm sure they were. It's a factory, rats come with the environment. They poop. They die. =\ So I agree with you, Zaph. It doesn't sound like this crazy huge deal people are making it out to be.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.27%

Um... But this is the same company responsible for the salmonella outbreak, and rodents are a source of salmonella. It's a different plant, but come on - there is genuine reason for concern here.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.11%

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod Q. IX View Post

Do you think the "organic" factory where your peanut butter is made is completely free of rodents or insects? Perhaps the "organic" fields where the peanuts are grown are free of rodents and insects as well...

I think not.

I've seen lots of bugs in corn fields...and I used to pick corn when I was 11 and 12...if you think that none of those bugs ever end up in your stomach then you are an idiot.

Now, I do feel that limits are a good thing...and if the inspector sees gross violations it should indeed end in closure of the facility in question, just like it did in the recent media-circus case...

Some people, however, are acting like it's the end of the world for a human to eat a mouse turd. Get over it...you've eaten them. So have I...

There are more important things to be upset about.
    but there is wind and rain to wash all the crap away right? there's only wind in the factories crawl space and it blows concentrated amounts of the crap into a room (IE: a place that has walls on all sides, a roof and a floor so the stuff doesn't dissipate.) where all the food is.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.7%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod Q. IX View Post
    Guess what? Infectious bacteria is not a good source of protein.

Thread Information